Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
I just saw a link to a new chapter of RWA for paranormal writers and I was tempted to join but you have to be a member of RWA first...so how useful is it to join? I'm unpublished as of yet and kind of thought that it would be something to consider once my writing actually started making me money...but maybe it would be better to join now.

Any members out there who can give their take would be very much appreciated...as well as those who have chosen not to join.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
heh heh heh...

**pffft**

that's the can of worms this post is opening. :D

Welcome to AW - :welcome:

It depends on what you mean by "useful". Some people here think RWA is a must-join organization. Some do not. All have valid reasons.

I am in the latter camp. I hold on to my membership because I love my local chapter(s) and that's the only reason for me. I keep it because I have to (and come to think of it, I need to renew...)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
There are a ton of threads about this subject in this area already, but the search function requires more than 3 letters. grr.

If you page through, you'll find them.

This subject has been debated a number of times and the lines are clearly drawn.

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Well, I certainly didn't mean to stir up anything nasty...I was just curious...it's hard to justify spending money on a membership if it doesn't amount to anything. I get a lot of information from my writing group as well as from around here but I was curious about the advantages to being a member of RWA.

Mod...feel free to delete if it's too redundant...or anger provoking!

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Okay...got it! Have read through and started digesting...wow!

Really no need for further comments, I think I get the picture...wow!

para

Registered
Reaction score
The paranormal chapter isn't new. It is not necessary to be a member of the rwa to become an author. You can find a lot of free information on writing on the web and there are lots of very useful email groups, forums etc.

I think the things that the rwa does right are helping unpublished authors with craft, networking and informing authors. But as I say you can find that elsewhere. No organisation is all good or bad, you may find it useful or you may not. I'm happy with my rwa membership - I don't particularly care about the Rita kerfuffle because I have no intention of entering the contest and I don't think it has much impact on an author - there are plenty of best selling authors who have never won a rita. Nor do I care what the RWA's position on ebooks may or may not be because they do not define me as a writer. I would like them to change their position but you need people willing to stand up on these things and you hardly ever get people willing to fill volunteer positions or voting. A lot of board positions run unopposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.