A Novel Idea...

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
In the most recent Writer's Digest is a two-page article, The Future Role of Agents. Towards the end is a section called "Developing new business models for how authors pay agents.." And, after a paragraph saying that agents are earning less money today than before for various reasons, comes this gem: "One agency has quietly come out with a new model that requires authors to pay a minimum commission--i.e., the agent must earn a minimum amount on a sale no matter what advance the publisher pays, which means authors would "share" a larger part of the advance upfront (or even pay out of pocket in the case of very low advances).... Agents may take projects knowing they will ultimately be paid by authors rather than publishers."

The article does not say what agency had this brainstorm.

This might introduce an interesting variant into that old chestnut, 'Money flows towards the author'.

Last edited:

Danthia

Anything's possible. Commissions used to be 10%, and now they're 15%. I suspect that agency has no members of AAR and isn't on the recommended list of Preditors & Editors though.

Seems like a bad business model to me. If you can't find books good enough to earn enough money, and then charge your authors, then you'll end up only getting authors willing to pay to have their work represented. Which in all likelihood are authors who can't sell their work anyway, and you won't make any money.

And really...why take on a project you KNOW going in will need the author to chip in to pay the commission?

Brandi636

Registered
Reaction score
Is Writer's Digest a reliable source of information? I've checked out a few issues from the library, and it seems like mostly fluff.

I think it's a terrible idea, as it takes away the incentive for the agent to negotiate for a better deal.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I tend to discount anything that does not attribute a source...It may be a model for an unsuccessful agency...

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the agency is unsuccessful in using the model the article mentions. If not, we may see the advent of AOD ("agenting on demand").

Sounds like a Robert Fletcher company to me.

Ardent Kat

Kill your television
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherineokelly.com
Is Writer's Digest a reliable source of information? I've checked out a few issues from the library, and it seems like mostly fluff.

I think the articles are good as long as you avoid all the paid ads by scammers and self-publishers. (Much like many other magazines)