Approaching Kurosawa

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I want to get into Kurosawa's films, but I'm a bit intimidated by his body of works. Where should I start?

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
I had never seen any Kurosawa until about a year ago. I figured I should check it out so I watched Rashomon and then Seven Samurai.

I understand he was also involved in some capacity in the movie Runaway Train which I had seen a long time ago and watched again. I forget his exact connection. It was his original script or something??? Maybe someone here knows.

Anyway it's worthwhile stuff. I would say dive in. Nothing to be intimidated about I don't think.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Question answered.

Then I'd try Rashomon and Yojimbo, then move onto the Shakespearean stuff.

In my opinion his whole history as a director was leading up to Ran, so I'd watch that one last.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seven Samurai

I'm inclined to agree here as it's generally regarded as his best movie (though I'm personally partial to Ran) and highly influential, but I suppose it might be prudent to ask what about his work do you find "intimidating?"

You might find Yojimbo a better jumpoff point just for its quicker pace and easier accessibility.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Funny enough, I have never seen any Kurosawa samurai film, the first Kurosawa film I ever saw was Dreams, then Rhapsody in August and Ikiru, I deeply recommend these three films, but if I had to choose one it would probably be Dreams

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Over 20 years ago now, the Seven Samurai was shown, for the first time, on British TV. My friend and I decided to watch it, because we thought The Magnificent Seven was a great movie, and we knew that it was based on the Seven Samurai.
However, we didn't expect to enjoy it particularly. After all, this was a black and white film, in Japanese with sub-titles, and it was looong!
We needn't have worried. After about 20 minutes, we were so entranced that we hardly noticed that we were reading sub-titles. It was (and is) an absolutely wonderful film.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Start with something more 'straightforward,' like Stray Dog, a noir about a policeman who loses his gun, which is then used in a murder. If that doesn't wet your beak, then try Drunken Angel, about a friendship between a young hood and the doctor who treats him after a gunfight. Or if you want something a little lighter, try Hidden Fortress, which George Lucas used as a source for his first Star Wars film.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Over 20 years ago now, the Seven Samurai was shown, for the first time, on British TV. My friend and I decided to watch it, because we thought The Magnificent Seven was a great movie, and we knew that it was based on the Seven Samurai.
However, we didn't expect to enjoy it particularly. After all, this was a black and white film, in Japanese with sub-titles, and it was looong!
We needn't have worried. After about 20 minutes, we were so entranced that we hardly noticed that we were reading sub-titles. It was (and is) an absolutely wonderful film.

Anyone who says the battle scenes in Seven Samurai aren't gripping does not know cinema. How long is the ending battle, about 40 minutes? When does the tension let up? NEVER. Even when Toshiro Mifune is running about in a thong.