dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
If you were expecting Spirited Away, some sexy manga with hot chicks and robots, or Pokemon, you're going to be sadly disappointed in Ponyo, the latest entry in Disney's "Studio Giggity" Japanimation series.

Ponyo is aimed directly at 5-year olds, and aimed at that target, it's a direct hit. The story of a small boy and the magic-wielding goldfish he falls in love with is whimsical, cute, and mostly entertaining, but it's about as deep as a goldfish bowl, the animation and artwork are as detailed as a 5-year-old's coloring book, and the movie leaves you wishing for something aimed a little closer to your own demographic.

If you have kids, they'll love it. If you don't... I don't know what to say. Sorry. Maybe go see District 9 or something.

5-year-old peer review, overheard while leaving the theater, "That movie was even better than Speed Racer!"

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen this yet, but if it's aimed at 5 year-olds then good. About time. I heard about this movie and that's what I expected it to be, a beautiful, well-crafted story for children.

All along they've been talking about this story being compared more to My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service more than Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away.

I love Miyazaki's work because of how he is always coming out with something different. I won't see it in the theater cause of money and other movies I haven't caught up on, but even without seeing it yet, this is going on my shelf when it comes out!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't think it's aimed at 5-year-olds. It's like saying WALL-E or Toy Story is aimed at 8-year-old boys. The fact is, adults would enjoy these movies very much, too.

I did. Ponyo isn't Spirited Away, but it's VERY MUCH Hayoa Miyazaki and if you're a fan, you won't be disappointed. It's really cute, very sweet, and fantastical. It's loosely based on Anderson's The Little Mermaid. The protagonists are two little kids. Maybe that's why it feels like it's aimed at young kids (sure, it IS an animation for family). The animation is beautiful. Yes, its soft watercolor and children's illustration looks may be a bit different from everything else, but it's hardly "crude." It's like saying if you're an adult you can't enjoy Bambi or Pinnocchio. In a way, it's a bit insult to animation fans to say if you're above five you should watch District 9 instead. Totally different movies. As an adult (and animation fan), I thoroughly enjoyed and was very much engaged the entire time, and didn't feel like I was just watching a "movie for 5yos."

It's more like My Neighbor Totoro in tone and story than Spirited Away. Half reality and half fantasy, both focuses on family relationships and friendship from the point of view of children.

Again, if you're a fan of Miyazaki (and not just Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle) then you won't be disappointed. It's delightful.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like some Miyazaki movies but had no interest in seeing this. I love Spirited Away, Mononoke and Nausicaä but just didn't see the same appeal here. It did, at least to me, seem like it was geared more heavily toward the little ones, which is fine, just not something I was looking forward to.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Ray, my biggest problem with this film was the "test" that was supposed to be so difficult... and yet, it *really* wasn't. I honestly felt like they got to the climatic moment and someone went up to miyazaki and said "Sir, we have $8 left in the budget." "Oh, well then let's just wrap this up."

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
Like in Howl's Moving Castle, the whole 'a kiss will break the spell' thrown in at the end? It was incredibly predictable, totally cheesy, and I loved it. I think I'm just a Miyazaki fan, but I guess it really depends on if you like only some of his films, or all/most of them. Now I really wanna see it though :( silly people...taunting me with Miyazaki films.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ray, my biggest problem with this film was the "test" that was supposed to be so difficult... and yet, it *really* wasn't. I honestly felt like they got to the climatic moment and someone went up to miyazaki and said "Sir, we have $8 left in the budget." "Oh, well then let's just wrap this up."

You're not familiar with Asian culture and Miyazaki's work and not from an American way of looking at "climax"... I mean, even in Spirited Away, the "tests" are not earth-shattering ordeals. It's more about the spirit of things. In Ponyo, the tests are not really about saving the world, but about the purity of childhood and love. A little boy could have said, "Oh, ew, I don't want to love a fish. She's just a pet." But Sosuke and Ponyo truly love each other with their purest intention, and that's why the test is supposed to be magical in spirit.

As in many fables and fairytales, the resolution is supposed to be the simplest thing. A true love's kiss. A rose. Whatever. As this is loosely based on The Little Mermaid, it's based on something really simple: unconditional love. Ponyo loves Sosuke and Sosuke must love Ponyo back, despite the fact that if she became a human, she would lose her magic -- she would just become another normal little girl. But Sosuke accepts her as she is. It's really that simple.

I really love that kind of purity in stories, whether it's anime or adult fiction. And Miyazaki does it extremely well.

Last edited:

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I have not seen this yet, but I expect to thoroughly love it. Miyazaki creates such beautiful films, and each one is unique. It does look more like Totoro than Mononoke, but that's fine. As someone else said, it's nice to have something very small children can enjoy for a change. They have so much nonsense in their genre, like some people think children just aren't worth the effort. When a company/author/artist really puts heart and effort into a children's story, I know I'll love it and save it for my future kids.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I just came back from viewing, and I did enjoy it. As for the ease of the test, if one looks at it from a five-year-old viewpoint, the test actually wasn't all that easy.

I loved the animation, and I'm just wondering when Miyazaki had access to my subconscious, because (without making this post a spoiler post) one of the characters was taken straight from my dreams. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I just came back from viewing, and I did enjoy it. As for the ease of the test, if one looks at it from a five-year-old viewpoint, the test actually wasn't all that easy.

I loved the animation, and I'm just wondering when Miyazaki had access to my subconscious, because (without making this post a spoiler post) one of the characters was taken straight from my dreams. :D

The crotchety old lady, or the the scientist who looked like James (of Team Rocket) as a bitter old meth-addict?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Is the design of Granmammare unusual for a Miyazaki film? I don't recall seeing anything like it in any of his other films.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS

I agree that the test felt a little anti-climatic, but I think that's because they built up the secret of what was involved so much. But if you look at Sosuke's (and Ponyo's) mothers before they do the test, it's pretty obvious that it's not that much of a risk. Ponyo's dad, however, was so worried because the stakes of the test--for him and his family--were so high. Even though the test wasn't that difficult, think of how hard it would be to risk your daughter being turned into seafoam based on whether someone you don't know well can love all sides of her. Or the moon crashing into the planet because you didn't take that chance. Those are some decent stakes, even if the resolution was done very simply.

I have trouble following a lot of Miyazaki's other films (Monoke, Spirited Away) because they're so complex that halfway through I'm thinking, "What was the MC trying to do?" But they're also so beautiful and the journey is still fun even if I have to track back a little in the middle of them. I haven't seen Totoro, but from the pictures and clips I have seen, I think artistically this was probably similar. I do like the beauty of the other newer films, even with their hard-to-follow plots, but this was lots of fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.