Finding Blood

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Some ickyness follows.

This is a question about a story set in the present day.

For purposes of plot, a young woman will have sex for the first time in a lighthouse. After she and her paramour leave. Not too long after, someone else sneaks into the lighthouse and discovers the blood.

How much blood is there likely to be?

How can he be sure it is blood, without having it tested in a lab?

To make sure there's enough blood for him to find, should she be having her period?

Thanks in advance.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Do you need the person discovering the blood to know she had sex or just to find blood? If you want them to know someone was having sex up there, having them find a spot of semen would be better. If you want them to find blood, perhaps thinking someone was injured, I would go with having one of the people cut themselves on something while getting dressed after the sex was over. Doing a graphic enough description of sex with a girl on her period to explain the blood is going to squick a lot of people out . . . unless squicking everyone out is your goal.

Identifying blood is easy--it's pretty distinctive. But the only way to tell for sure that it's human blood (as opposed to animal blood) is to have it tested in a lab.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Please find a better way. Finding blood and semen on the sheets of a bed would lead any adult to believe a virgin has been deflowered. The last thing that would come to mind would be vampires.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
RJK's point still stand. Why would he automatically assume the blood had something to do with vampires? The guy must be off his rocker.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
This is not the only reason he suspects this person to be a vampire. Not even slightly.

He happens to be wrong. But on the other hand, he's right that there is a vampire around, and he himself knows that vampires exist.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Then if he is dumb, he should already be convinced they are vampires. If he is smart, then surely you can come up with a better way for him to get suspicious.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because your story is set in present day, I'd find it very hard to believe that there would be any blood.

The vast majority of healthly, active young women break their hymen (the source of the blood) during childhood romping and playing. If it's still in place when she begins her menses, then tampon usage can damage it or break it. Normal masterbation with a vibrator will also break it. Sometimes fingers can do the job.

The idea of there being a virgin bleeding was very true when girls were cloistered and not allowed to be physically active, but not for a long time now.

Some women do have deeply-set hymen, in which case it wouldn't be broken by normal activities (though tampons or a vibrator would), however if it's that far back, then any blood it released would be too mixed with semen to be more than a light pink in the general smear.

But, then again, if the reader is suspending disbelief for vampires, they might go that far too. Can't say.

As for how much--it would probably be about as much as a small slice to the finger, which isn't much. And it would be mixed in with all the other bodily secretions unless you can really sell the fact that it's at the front of her vagina--which brings up the whole "how did she live and not break it" point again.

Period blood wouldn't be a good option. During sex, the body generally shuts down the majority of the bleeding, and when it starts again it's not a few drops. It's a big SMEAR of blood. It also smells differently than fresh wound blood.

Good luck with the scene.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Vampyres, to the best of my knowledge, do not dribble! As to a woman bleeding after having sex for the first time - so do and some don't. And 'drops of blood on the floor.' - I agree with CupofDice - why think it is a vampyre? I also think RJK has made a wise suggestion - please find another way.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
DeleyanLee, that is very useful. Kinda interferes with stuff, but at least it gives me something solid around which to build. Many, many thanks!

CupofDice--he is already suspicious. And he actually has good reason to be. I didn't go into that much detail because I was looking for a specific bit of data, which DeleyanLee and Chasing the Horizon have provided.

Shakesbear--um, how would you know what real vampires do? More specifically, how would you know what my vampires do? I was simply assuming (and so was the character) that in the midst of feeding some drops might end up on the floor. Why not? Seems to me that happens with coffee, milk, soda, fruit juice, etc. every single day.

Last edited:

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I still think it would be better to have someone cut their finger or something to get blood during the scene. It's so much less ick.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Shakesbear--um, how would you know what real vampires do? More specifically, how would you know what my vampires do? I was simply assuming (and so was the character) that in the midst of feeding some drops might end up on the floor. Why not? Seems to me that happens with coffee, milk, soda, fruit juice, etc. every single day.

I did say to the best of my knowledge! I do not know what your Vampyres would or could do. I do know that the Vampyres I have met did not dribble ...

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think having the girl bleed after her first time would throw people off, mostly because the story's set in modern times. Unless the story's set in a country/location where virginity is still a big deal (i.e. for religious/family honor reasons). Then the couple would have more problems than having the MC think one or both of them are vampires. The emphasis on virginity in the Western world just isn't there anymore.

On the other hand, given the location the couple is having sex in, it's more believable that one or both will end up accidently cutting themselves. The girl's not going to know what to do, seeing as it's her first time, and unless her partner's verrrryyyy experienced and is used to the location, accidents will happen. Also, a light house wasn't and isn't built to have sex in. It's to keep ships away from a bad section of coastline. The lighthouse attendent and his/her family would have a separate house off to one side. So there would be bits and piece that would be sharp to poke and prod them while they're having sex.

Also having them cut themselves sometime during the whole sex scene (before, during, or after), it's more likely to have small blood splatters all over the place. Which, of course, is gives the MC more reason to think it was a vampire rather than thinking it was someone having sex. Especially if the couple in question is moving all over the place while having sex (and bleeding from small cuts), the MC would think the person was attacking the other person and the victim was trying to defend him/herself or get away.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you a lighthouse where there's a lot of dust on the floor, then you could get a body impression from her back on the ground. If she cuts herself (not severely) on a piece of the railing around the light itself or from a nail sticking up from a board, then it can fall where the neck is on the imprint. A drop falling down from the guy while he's over her could work, too.

Now you've got a reason for the person to think vampire, as the blood is in the right place.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I am persuaded that for the girl to be cut in some way amid the debris of the lighthouse (which is no longer operational) serves my purpose better than loss of virginity. This also allows me greater freedom to decide when their relationship leads to that level.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
The vast majority of healthly, active young women break their hymen (the source of the blood) during childhood romping and playing. If it's still in place when she begins her menses, then tampon usage can damage it or break it. Normal masterbation with a vibrator will also break it. Sometimes fingers can do the job.

To my knowledge and experience, none of this is true. Normal activity, even horseback riding, will not break a hymen, nor will use of a tampon (too small in diameter). A vibrator would have to be fully inserted to do the job and that would hurt like hell. A deflowered virgin will bleed, but the quantity of blood will vary depending on the thickness of her hymen and of course, the size of her partner's penis.