Another question for the lesbian ladies . . .

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Remember a few months back when I asked for advice on how to handle a potential girl/girl romance in a future book? Well, I've started jotting down notes for it in earnest and gradually hammering out the overall plot, and now I have a follow-up:

How to handle the first time they make love.

Thing is, Millie is experienced at making love to a woman, and Erika never has. So I'm wondering how to have Millie introduce Erika to lady-love in a way that's real, sweet, gentle, and shows Millie's softer side and her genuine care for Erika.

And no, I'm not going to go into GRAPHIC detail, with a lot of dirty words. I just need to know basically what Millie does to break Erika in, as it were.

The planned story is a dark, violent fantasy trilogy, so I just want a nice, sweet moment late into it, after all that the characters have been through to arrive at this point, and have yet to face.

So please help a clueless guy out. :)
If anyone needs further information before answering, just ask.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Um, was this an inappropriate question? 46 views, and so far no responses.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Although I was surprised at the candid responses a while back when the question was asked about their first time, I don't think the ladies wish to discuss this aspect of their sex lives, if, by chance this is one.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. If the character has been with a guy before, she's not going to be that confused with her new girlfriend. If you want them to have sweet romantic sexytimes, then write the scene that way.

2. If the character has never been intimate with anyone before, a caring partner will ease her into it, regardless of gender. The Gays are not mysterious creatures with mysterious ways, I promise you. I dunno of any secret tips to drop on you. Sex is sex.

3. When you're done, if you're worried you've gotten some of the, uh, mechanics wrong, you can always ask a knowledgeable beta reader for feedback. Or read this: The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Um, was this an inappropriate question? 46 views, and so far no responses.

I couldn't figure out what to say. I think Kitty Pryde's suggestion that you take a look at The Whole Lesbian Sex Book is a good one.

If you've had sex with women yourself, and you remember the concerns you had the first time or two, be aware that women have them, too. Knowing how your own bits work doesn't give you a magical insight into how someone else's bits work, so there's that anxiety.

If you're someone who hasn't had sex with women yourself, it's still largely the same kind of concern, only with different hydraulics.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
If what you're looking for really is
to have Millie introduce Erika to lady-love in a way that's real, sweet, gentle, and shows Millie's softer side and her genuine care for Erika.
it's not a lesbian specific thing, it's a human thing. I don't see how it would be any different from a man and woman having sex for the first time.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't figure out what to say.
I read and didn't know what to say either. Of course, I'm not a lesbian so the question wasn't really addressed to me.

I couldn't figure out if you were asking about the mechanics or actually how to portray the scene.

Generally, someone having sex with a person of the same gender for the first time is going to be less confused than someone having sex with someone of the opposite gender for the first time (particularly if they're already sexually experienced with the opposite gender). I have a very similar scene in one of my books (except mine are gay men instead of lesbians). The man who has never had sex with another man before still knows pretty much what to do because he has a penis himself and knows what feels good. Assuming Erika has masturbated herself, and perhaps had oral sex performed on her by a man, she's not going to be exactly clueless about what to do. Some gentle instruction from both parties is never a bad thing in any first sex scene, regardless of the genders and experience levels of the people involved. No two people are alike, different things feel good to different people.

A very important part of the scene will be how comfortable Erika is with her sexuality. How much stigma is there against lesbians in her society? How long has she been thinking about this? Have there been other acts, like kisses or fondling, in previous scenes leading up to the sex? If she's really uncomfortable, Millie will have to work hard to make her comfortable.

And I'm going to strongly recommend that you read books with lesbian sex scenes in them to see how other writers handled it. This was the main research I did for the gay sex scenes in my books.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming Erika has masturbated herself, and perhaps had oral sex performed on her by a man, she's not going to be exactly clueless about what to do.

Even if you're an experienced catcher, the very first time you pitch there's going to be a bit of anxiety because you're doing something quite different from what you've done before.

Reaction score
Generally, someone having sex with a person of the same gender for the first time is going to be less confused than someone having sex with someone of the opposite gender for the first time (particularly if they're already sexually experienced with the opposite gender).

I completely disagree with this (just to confuse the OP).

Someone who's having sex with another person of the same gender for the first time has to cope with the "Oh my god, am I doing this right?" feeling as well as the knowledge society - certain sections of it, anyway - says it's wrong.

So there's not just nerves. There's nerves and guilt. And uncertainty.

At the risk of being crude - and I hope I'm not - I speak from experience.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you're an experienced catcher, the very first time you pitch there's going to be a bit of anxiety because you're doing something quite different from what you've done before.
I didn't say there would be no anxiety, I said there would be less. To expand on your baseball example, an experienced catcher is going to have a better idea what they're doing the first time they pitch then someone who has never played baseball before in their lives. They would've picked up some idea of how to pitch by being around the game and watching the pitchers (I would think, I don't know much about baseball). I was assuming the OP's character was already sexually experienced with men.

Someone who's having sex with another person of the same gender for the first time has to cope with the "Oh my god, am I doing this right?" feeling as well as the knowledge society - certain sections of it, anyway - says it's wrong.

So there's not just nerves. There's nerves and guilt. And uncertainty.
I don't think we actually disagree. The guilt and concern about how the act would be viewed by society can be huge. It was in some of the gay scenes I wrote. But the OP writes fantasy and I have no idea how her fantasy society views lesbians.

Most of the girls I knew were incredibly nervous about having sex with a man the first time, because they were afraid it would hurt (and often it did). I knew several bi girls as a teenager and none of them had the same level of apprehension about their first time with a woman because a) they were already sexually experienced and b) they knew it wouldn't hurt.

I still think the OP's purposes would be better served by reading a big stack of lesbian fiction than by watching us debate the issue on a forum.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
This doesn't strike me as a question of expertise, but one of characterisation. Think about your characters. If you don't know them well enough to know how they would approach that situation, you don't know them well enough to be writing a book about them.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I know gays have the exact same feelings that the rest of us do, I hope I didn't come across as ignorant of that fact. I know how to handle the emotion and personality-stuff of this scene. I was just wondering how to handle the physical aspect of Millie breaking in a sexual-inexperienced woman.
I was in a bit of a hurry when I started this thread, and it's feeling more and more like I've crossed into inappropriate territory for this kind of forum. I don't know. I'll just look up some lesbian advice websites. Thanks.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Having sex with someone of the same gender is the same as with someone of the opposite sex?

No.

I'm bisexual and I've slept with lesbians straight women, straight men and a man who had a sex change. I don't think the question is out of line or stupid.

The feeling are not the same, the sex is not the same, and with all due respect, gay people are mysterious creatures. Of course the reason is because they're forced into the closet and aren't real open about their sex lives.

Girlyswot, I think the question is an attempt to get to know his characters, something we all do.

ETA: The whole lesbian sex book is a great suggestion.

Last edited: