The baby has cleared the birth canal...

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Man, it took a lot of pushing and some deep-breathing exercises, but the baby is out of my body and in the doctor's hands.

It wasn't pretty, let me tell ya. If I'd co-authored the thing, I woulda told the daddy to stay in the waiting room rather than scrub up and film the process. Here's what happened:

I THOUGHT I delivered the baby last week. It came in PDF form. Paginated. Drop-capped. ISBN'd.

I nearly barfed. I broke out in a cold-sweat as I started reading those too-familiar first paragraphs. My baby was UGLY!! Hideous. And I was supposed to be sending her out to some famous authors for endorsement. I literally had the first full-blown panic attack of my life.

Later, I found out that almost all new parents of baby books go through this. Still, I abused my ability to make changes to the PDF by finding at least one thing on every page. My publisher was kind enough to allow me to do another full edit, baking that thing in the oven a tad more, and we are both thrilled with the extra effort.

She's purty, now. Must've gotten it from her daddy.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
1190039274_congrats11.gif

Love the analogy. :D

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Yay you! I went through 2 3/4 hours of active labor, and completely know why they call it labor.

At one point, I yelled, "Someone else take a turn!"

Congratulations on your new love! Cone head doesn't last!

hughhowey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hughhowey.com
Thanks, everyone! It's painful that I have to wait another week or so to see a proof copy. They should really let me hold the baby immediately. There's some important bonding that takes place during those first hours...

Anyway, I already named the tyke. She's called "The Next Harry Potter." It certainly helped during the querying process, as each of my letters began: Hello. My book is The Next Harry Potter. Honest.

It should help with promotion in a month or so. Imagine the posters in your local bookstore: "October 23rd from 2pm to 6pm, meet the author of The Next Harry Potter."

Genius, I tell ya. Genius. And to think my dad wanted me to go with a family name!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, hughhowey! And best wishes for your little tyke to grow up to be a bestseller.