Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks to our mods, particularly Pthom, we now have an IRC chat room. Click here to visit, or, if you have program like mIRC or PIRCH, just visit the #AbsoluteWrite channel on StarChat.

I'm new to IRC, so I won't be much help with instructions, but I'm going to ask those who are better-versed in it to come here and tell us what some of the commands are.

I know that if you want to write an action, you type /me first-- so...

/me is going to the store

will look like:

JennaG is going to the store.

That's about the extent of my expertise right now. ;) Others?

I'm in the chat right now, for about the next 10-15 mins. Join me if you can!

And thanks to William for giving us our original chat room.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ohhhh... so lonesome for you...

So there I am in chat, testing out things like boings and such, when Guest2 appears. I get all excited and say hello.

No response.

I am about to type out an explanation for how to change one's nickname when the person leaves. Boo hoo. So I decided to explain it here.

Just type:
/nick pickaname

So if you type /nick Bigfoot, your name in the chat will be Bigfoot.

There you have it.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Alright so I've got my name in and I wrote a message. Where do I go from there>I can't get my message to appear. I don't know if it even got anywhere...

I need detailed instructions
Waaah!
Some of those places look pretty neat...
Paint

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's gonna get real confusing with all of us named "pickaname"

Awsom Jen. Thanks Pthom

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alphabet, No matter what I click, I get one of those Error boxes...says something about "doesn't support..blah.." then one of those Do you wish to debug things... Damn. And after I click onto Chat, the screen has CSS Frame Emulation ..on top left..under that, there's a red x in at top left... oh, well. Hope someone can help. I posted similar post in the Chat in the TIO forum.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
It dawned on me (actually, kind of with the dawn) that it was my firewall software that was blocking it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was able to use the first chat that Haskins created, but now I get the same error messages Cassie receives. Is the chat now configured to support only IRC users?

I have the feeling I'm going to be dragged into the 21st Century with my usual kicking and screaming--if I don't swoon from a bad case of the vapors first.

Maryn, low-low-low tech

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Yep, you need Java to get there from the clicky link, but there's another way, too. I'm afraid to explain it and get it all screwy. Pthom? Frank? Charlie?

You'll need to download an IRC program, then it's pretty straightforward to get to the room. I have mIRC... Charlie has some other free program...

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I have no hints to offer re: Java problems. Pthom might and he's also (I believe) got instructions for beginners using the chat client mIRC.

I highly recommend using a chat client such as mIRC, Trillian or Pirch. They offers lots of extras that make the chat experience more fun.

I'm dog-tired right now and would only mess folks up with my technical "expertise" but will peek later to see if there's any specific q's I might be able to handle. Hopefully, before long, Pthom will post some helpful how-tos.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
maestrowork said:
Sara and I both installed Trillian. It's a really good program (and free) to manage your IM connections including Yahoo, AOL, IRC, etc.
Trillian manages IRC? *boggle* I'll have to check it out. I used to use it at my old job, just for the ability to ping a co-worker about a project, but haven't wanted anything IM-like in my day-to-day life, so I never reinstalled.

rtilryarms said:
It's gonna get real confusing with all of us named "pickaname".
"Mind if we just call you Bruce?"

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
help

HELP! When I click on the 'chat' link I get a pop-up that says "Do you trust the J Pilot Software Company?" and then a couple of other lines. I'm afraid to click yes, I don't know what it is, and I don't want to give my computer a virus. I have enough trouble without that.

Once I click cancel I get another page that has "connecting to starchatnet.7000" and that's it. It doesn't connect to anything, or do anything.

Please help me.

Thanks
Nita

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:popcorn: click yes....then put your name where it says 'guest' (backing out the word guest)....and you will be in the room.....

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You need to click yes to the question -- no virus or spyware. It's so that the Java software (a small piece of client software) can load. You need Java to use StarChat.

Cassie88

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Sara and I both installed Trillian. It's a really good program (and free) to manage your IM connections including Yahoo, AOL, IRC, etc.

Download it here.

Ray, in post # 10, you say we need Java, then in this post, you say Trillian..so I'm still confused. HELP.

Cass

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Java vs. IRC

Cassie88 said:
Ray, in post # 10, you say we need Java, then in this post, you say Trillian..so I'm still confused. HELP.

Cass
Cass: Sorry this is so confusing. Some of us who've chatted muchly are used to the idiocyncracies. Let me try to end some of the confusion.

First, to use the link that Jenna so kindly placed at the top of the main page, you need to use Java, which is a series of routines that enable PCs do certain kinds of things online, such as connect together in a chat room while STILL USING AN INTERNET BROWSER, such as IE or Netscape. The Java suite of small applications (called aplets) do not come installed with your operating system; you must download them. Fortunately, that process is nearly painless: Programs that need java will usually direct you to the download site and then bring you back to open the application. So. With Java, you use the link on the top of the main page, answer yes to any questions, fill in the blanks (as described above) and chat. (Assuming of course, that someone is in the chat room to chat with.)

But java is not the only way to arrive in and use the chat room.

There is at least one other way. (I only assume there are more...nothing is cut and dried, is it?) That way is to obtain an IRC client program.
IRC means Internet Relay Chat, and is the basis for the most popular chat rooms in existance. IRC client programs enable someone with an internet connection to connect up with others, and since it doesn't use an internet browser, does not require java.

You can obtain IRC client programs for free, usually, and some of the more popular are discussed above. Personally, I like mIRC. There is a bit of learning curve to master it but without too much difficulty (and a liberal dose of the provided online helps--and asking questions of those in the know) you can be chatting away in one window, browsing forums in another and playing Freecell in a third all to keep from applying yourself to the task of finishing that book which will earn you millions.

Okay, so that was the long way around to say: you don't need Java if you have Trillian (or mIRC or PIRCH or the like) because they are IRC client programs. If you don't have any of those and want to chat before getting one, THEN you need java.
:)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
You need to click yes to the question -- no virus or spyware. It's so that the Java software (a small piece of client software) can load. You need Java to use StarChat.
Dang it. The chat where I'm a moderator has a java conflict, so if I get java to enable AW's chat I may be slitting my throat there.

Hmm, who's more fun to talk with? A show of hands, please!

Maryn, indecisive

Cassie88

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I did it... I downloaded Java...then finally, with some help from Star Chat...I registered... and I can now chat... I'm so proud of myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.