Newbie/question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgirl58

Hello all-A newbie here. An aspiring children's writer. I have a question I need help with. How do I know if my children's story is young reader/YA/etc. In one story I am writing the main character is 8 years old and it will be a chapter book. In another story the main character is 10 but at the end of the book will be an adult. You may need to know more of the plots if so just let me know.
sgirl

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
go to a bookstore and find books that resemble yours in reading level, word count per page, etc.

then look up at the little sign above the shelves to see what section it says you're in.

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
for the chapter book, it's probably a middle reader. The reading level of a chapter book is to low to interest teens. For the other one, it depends on the content of the sotry. In tamora pierces books, many of her characters start as 10 years old, and all her books are YA. However, childrens books can have an older character. So, as I said, it depends on the content. You're best bet is to read up on both groups, taking in a wide variety of both, and figuring out where it fits.

Hope this helps,

Ally

Status
Not open for further replies.