Registered
Reaction score
Candid Cam said:
Candid Cam: Michael Vick is Philadelphia's problem now

By Cam Inman
Staff columnist
Posted: 08/13/2009 06:19:07 PM PDT
Updated: 08/13/2009 06:22:19 PM PDT

Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love, must now decide whether or not to embrace its newest Eagle -- Michael Vick. They may have booed Santa Claus there, but Vick likely will find it a happy home, so long as he produces for coach Andy Reid, whose offensive creativity will be at play.

Donovan McNabb's entrenchment as starting quarterback also makes the Eagles an understandable halfway house for Vick, the former Atlanta Falcons star whose career was derailed two years ago by his criminal involvment in a dogfighting ring.

If all goes well with his return to the NFL, Vick could cause quite a commotion at the Oakland Coliseum on Oct. 25. Animal-rights protestors will be in full fury, and the Raider defense will be boggled at how to defend him if he still has mad skills for gadget plays.

What matters most today to Bay Area fans is that Vick won't be playing for the Raiders or 49ers. That is good news. He is Philadelphia's brother in arms now.

All. New. Low.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe they took that scumbag back! I love how they released him AND said they wouldn't take him back, less than a year ago.

Here's my question: what kind of massive douchebags are still wearing this guy's jersey, and isn't anyone mocking and/or shunning them for it? I hope none of the fans support this BS.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Philadelphia is too close to Maryland

Vick's BadNewz dogs (his kennel name) were always for sale in the Baltimore Sun Classified.
He'll feel right at home in Philly as he has ties in Baltimore and VA is just down I95.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I'm a Giants fan. I've always known the Eagles are low class (sorry, guys, couldn't resist ;)). ETA: That was honestly meant as good-natured ribbing. We all know there's no one lower than the Cowboys. :D

Seriously, though. With Vick in the NFL, I'm not following this season. I'm a huge football fan--I pay for DirecTV just for the NFL Network, and pay hundreds of dollars extra per year for Sunday Ticket. I have season tickets to the Bengals and go to as many Giants games as I can.

No more. I won't support any business that supports Vick.

I'd also like to point out that Donte Stallworth killed someone in a drunk driving accident--and only received a one-year suspension. I can't get behind that.

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe they took that scumbag back! I love how they released him AND said they wouldn't take him back, less than a year ago.

Alas, I can believe it. There's clearly money to be made by keeping the guy around. Shitty, but true.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Giants fan. I've always known the Eagles are low class (sorry, guys, couldn't resist ;)).

Seriously, though. With Vick in the NFL, I'm not following this season. I'm a huge football fan--I pay for DirecTV just for the NFL Network, and pay hundreds of dollars extra per year for Sunday Ticket. I have season tickets to the Bengals and go to as many Giants games as I can.

No more. I won't support any business that supports Vick.

I'd also like to point out that Donte Stallworth killed someone in a drunk driving accident--and only received a one-year suspension. I can't get behind that.

Eh, I shifted full time to the Phillies a couple years ago. The Eagles will always be my football team, but I've stopped following it at all.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Who were "they?" The NFL? The Atlanta Falcons were always clear that they never wanted him back.

How much money is he getting?

Isn't there an NFL franchise in Anchorage or Juno, somewhere up there where you can see Russia? If not, they should start one up there just for him.

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
Ok everybody he paid his debt to ....I can't say this with a straight face. The man needs to be put in the ring against Fedor and fight to the death.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who were "they?" The NFL? The Atlanta Falcons were always clear that they never wanted him back.

How much money is he getting?

Isn't there an NFL franchise in Anchorage or Juno, somewhere up there where you can see Russia? If not, they should start one up there just for him.

Maybe I had my news mixed up. I thought NFL didn't want him back, but apparently they only kinda sorta didn't want him back oh except really they did. But yeah, it's disgusting that anyone would sign him.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
The sad thing is, the Eagles probably will benefit from this. Despite being a despicable human being, Vick is an extraordinary athlete -- and I'm sure that Andy Reid and his staff will cook up ways to ride Vick to at least a couple of extra victories. Halfway through the season, Eagles fans will be cheering Vick as if he were Cesar Millan.

Personally, I can't stand the guy and can't forgive him for what he's done. I love and respect dogs too much. I'm glad that my team, the Bucs, didn't sign Vick. Not that I think the Bucs or any NFL team are above it. But just that at least I can continue to be a football fan. I could not root for a team with Vick on it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another reason why the only football I watch is English Premier League

Go Liverpool

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm boycotting the entire season because the NFL let him back in.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess everyone in the "he served his time / paid his debts" camp has taken up the discussion in the Politics / Current Events forum.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another reason why the only football I watch is English Premier League

Go Liverpool

Yeah because professional footballers are the definition of decent and upright citizens.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. The NFL needs to grow a pair and rule that anyone convicted of a felony does not have the right to play football and get paid for it.

Richard

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. The NFL needs to grow a pair and rule that anyone convicted of a felony does not have the right to play football and get paid for it.

Richard

I agree. Just as there were/are academic consequences for student athelets, there should be professional consequences for unprofessional behavior. It would send the message that personal integrity is just as important as talent.

I'm from Maryland and I've always refered to the Ravens as the Baltimore Thugs thanks to the Lewis', Ray and Jamal.

Now, Philly has earned that distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.