Why I can't play World At War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, um, this is strange for me, but I can't play Call of Duty: World at War.

I bought the game for 20 bucks, and I've only played it for an hour and now I can't play it.

Its not that its bad. No! Its actually better than I previously anticipated.

But...its a strange combination of the depressing and discordant music, a bunch of tiny and large graphical details like the disturbingly lifelike motions of soldiers on fire, and even the sound effects...ugh!

It all combines to make an incredibly disturbing and distressing experience.

It makes me want to hide, or at least do something not-war-related for a long while.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

And, to broaden the topic, are there any other games that get a little...too realistic, so much that they get disturbing and unfun to play?

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, um, this is strange for me, but I can't play Call of Duty: World at War.

I bought the game for 20 bucks, and I've only played it for an hour and now I can't play it.

Its not that its bad. No! Its actually better than I previously anticipated.

But...its a strange combination of the depressing and discordant music, a bunch of tiny and large graphical details like the disturbingly lifelike motions of soldiers on fire, and even the sound effects...ugh!

It all combines to make an incredibly disturbing and distressing experience.

It makes me want to hide, or at least do something not-war-related for a long while.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

And, to broaden the topic, are there any other games that get a little...too realistic, so much that they get disturbing and unfun to play?

the more realistic the better. I played Red Orchestra for about a year and it was very atmospheric and bloody.
Some maps more than others, against players who got upset when you ran over them in your trusty armored car, and some nights when your timing was perfect and you blasted your way through waves of noobies in their PantherTanks.

pic5.jpg

http://www.redorchestragame.com/

these days...just the ramshackle horror of Imperial Japan.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
And funnily enough, I didn't like RO either!

Well, I'm not on any public US servers in the game anymore so you ought to be able to spawn an Ubersturgertrubberegrouppnefuhrer and survive a long drive to The Farm or even a moderate stay in The Barn.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I think the graphic nature is a good thing. I said the same thing about Saving Private Ryan. I've studied WW2 for years. It WAS a graphic affair. Many veterans won't even talk about it, you have to be persistent to get anything from them and even then they usually leave out a lot of details. That war traumatized these people, as all wars do. My former father in law who fought in the war had to leave the room after the first five minutes of SPR and never has watched anymore of it. He physically could not do it.

For so long, the WW2 shooter genre has felt like Doom with Mosin-Nagants and BARs. Games just felt like another shooter with some WW2 fluff tacked on before each mission. I'm glad some devs are finally really going the distance to portray it the way it should be.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I managed to beat COD 5.

Why?

Because I realized that its portrayal of America, Japan, Germany and Russia was so cartonishly over the top and absurdlodiclous that I simply could not take it seriously.

I think if they had toned down the caricature and focused on making a kind of disturbing, graphic war game, it'd have been better artistically speaking...

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Try Rune Factory Frontier Zoombie, you can plant crops, woo a mate, tame wild beasts and collect wool or milk or eggs, or kill them and take their hides, but it's cartoony. It's like Harvest Moon but with combat added.

Status
Not open for further replies.