Argh....my main character is unconcious

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I know how important your POV is but I ran into a real problem in a YA story. My main character was attacked and became unconcious. I realise I could just start the story back up when she comes too but then I would miss out some serious character interaction and needed subplot info...plus it was a majorly great time to slip in some really great (and needed) character views that are needed.............ARGHHHHHHHH WHAT DO I DO NOW?????? Is it allowed to switch POV temporarily while they nurse her back to health? Otherwise the relationship with her romantic interest seems awfully one sided and the relationship that makes up the plot and the reason she's there doesn't have any real meat to it....no real start.
As I understand it...3rd person multiple POV most of main action is from the main character but you can still use other viewpoints of the other characters.
So am I safe here? She's out of it for for several hours and the other characters interact around her. Now, towards the end........she gets kidnapped for awhile and I ended up with a really long dialogue catching her up on the events that happened while she was gone and I wonder if (I know) it would read better to switch between the POV's if I can figure out how to do it without confusing the reader. There are things happening where she is....and there are things happening back where the others are. Both are important to tie everything together.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Is she completely unconscious? Or could she hear everything that went on, but she THINKS she's dreaming it?? And she'll find out later that she wasn't??
Although if you're writing 3rd person omniscent you can get away with doing it, just make sure you're clear who's speaking.

Gindee77

Registered
Reaction score
Could she have an out-of-body experience and be watching from the ceiling? (Sort of just kidding there, unless it works, then I meant it...lol) Or could she relate the story to the reader as it was related to her after she woke up?

Good luck, at first I thought you meant you had a case of writer's block and were blaming it on the main character...haha

G

CalicoBean

Registered
Reaction score
mdmkay said:
I wonder if (I know) it would read better to switch between the POV's if I can figure out how to do it without confusing the reader.

I think you would be safe switching POVs. Some writers avoid POV change confusion by making POV switches at chapter or section breaks.

I've been studying Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass (an MG fantasy) lately for his technique on POV switches. The story is told primarily from the mc's POV (limited 3rd person), but switches to other limited POVs and even to omniscient occasionally. It's an interesting book if you haven't read it.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I think I'm fairly safe where I am now as far as switching POV while they attend to her wounds but at the end instead of talking heads I'm going to have one chapter with what is going on with her and then the other chapter what went on while she is with the centurians. I know that it would work alot better that way. ARGH I hate revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.