One Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to the ACFW conference in Denver this September and they have an email list for first-time attenders. They've been talking about "one sheets", which appear to be a combination resume, query, and webpage, all on one sheet that you apparently hand out when you pitch your story.

I've been going to conferences for years (although not in the last couple), and of course I've been around AW for years too. Why have I never heard about this?

Is it something new? Or is it peculiar to Christian writer's conferences, or what? Will I be shunned if I don't have one?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Roger, I might still have my old one from the 2006 conference. If I do,want me to email it to you?

Honestly, the only good it did me was in my editor and agent appts. Both folks used the one-sheet to scribble notes about the book I was pitching. So for that, using up color ink and a few sheets of better-quality paper was a decent way to blow a couple of bucks. :)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Oddly enough the only one-sheets I've ever used were basically just a one-page summary of the story ("think of the voice-over on a thirty second movie commercial" I was told), along with my agent's info in a footer at the bottom. I could post my latest one, if anyone thinks it'll help. But it sounds like what they're asking for now is different from what I've used in the past.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I use them myself and will create a project/genre appropriate design for any ACFW member who wants one. Shoot me a private message if you're interested in my services. They're free. Just don't tell anyone.

Delete the above. I DO charge -- if you're at the conf., you're supposed to find me and say "Hi" as my fee.

Reception on the part of editors varies. Some don't want them, some like the aide-memoire and accept them gladly. I've had editors do no more than glance at them, and other editors make copious (illegible) notes. It varies.

It's become sort of a custom at the ACFW national conference. Your mileage, of course, may vary. Some folks don't want the expense of printing the things, and don't want to schlep anything more than they must. Others feel they're a professional way to present the project they're pitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.