PDA

View Full Version : Torn Veil Books Seeking Christian Romance

TornVeilBooks
08-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Torn Veil Books is looking to establish itself in the Christian marketplace as one of the premier publishers of Christian Romance.

We are traditional, royalty-paying publisher seeking to publish Christian romance novels in paperback and eBook format.

Presently, we are seeking completed manuscripts in the following romantic genres:

Apocalyptic
Contemporary
Chick Lit
Fantasy
Futuristic/Sci-fi
Historical
Post-apocalyptic
Romantic Suspense
Supernatural
Time Travel
Vampire
Westerns
Werewolf/Shapeshifter
Zombie

Manuscript specifications:

For novel-length manuscripts, your word count should range from 65,000-110,000 words.

For novella-length manuscripts, your word count should range from 20,000-40,000 words.

Please format your manuscript as follows:

- Courier
- 12 pt.
- Double-spaced
- Name and page number on each page
- 1-inch margins all around

Though this should go without saying, just in case: we do not want to see stories containing graphic sex scenes, crude language, crude humor or innuendo.

How to query:

Send us your best query at tornveilbooks at gmail dot com. Be professional and cite any writing credits you think might be an asset to you. Reading period for queries starts July 18, 2009. However, due to the expected volume of submissions, please allow 1-2 months for a reply.

A Note About the Christian message:

While as an evangelical Christian publisher we want to see the Gospel shared and God glorified in our stories, we also are not interested in books that are merely sermons coated in a story. For example, your manuscript must not be story-story-sermon-story-story-sermon-story-story-etc. Though we understand the need to share God’s goodness throughout your tale, please incorporate that into part of the story and not with separate, preachy segments.

A Note About Apocalyptic Submissions:

Please note that while we wish to read engaging romantic stories that take place during the Apocalypse, we do not want to receive Left Behind clones but with different characters. Though we do realize there is only one book of Revelation, there are still many ways a story can be told while using the scenarios put forth in that book.

Royalty Information:

We pay royalties on all books sold through retail channels.

They are:

- 6-8% of cover price on printed books
- 12-15% of cover price on electronic books

We do not offer advances at this time.

Our website is www.tornveilbooks.com and is in the process of being designed. Please visit our temporary one at tornveilbooks.wordpress.com (http://tornveilbooks.wordpress.com) in the meantime. Thanks.

Deb Kinnard
08-27-2009, 02:17 AM
I'd ask a single question: when there are no advances (and I totally understand this concept in a newer house, having been through four of them previously), why is the e-book royalty so much lower than industry standard?

Just wondering. Your call for subs intrigues me.

Erastes
08-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Hmm. I can't see anyone previously published coming running with royalties like that, you'll need to make them concurrent, I think.

Rhysdux
08-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I can't honestly think of ANY engaging romantic apocalyptic stories.

Think about the scenario. The world has ended. By definition, the protagonists are either:

1) dead and in heaven (in which case they're going to be worshipping God and not thinking of romantic love);

2) dead and in hell (in which case love is probably not the main focus of their hideous and miserable existence); or

3) left behind and stuck suffering horrible torments for seven years so that they can die and go to heaven after it's all over.

Romance involves two possible endings--building a future together (happily ever after) or existing in a happy present (happy for now). The world after Revelation doesn't HAVE a future, and its present, by definition, is filled with torment--there's a reason Protestants call that era "The Tribulation." So I can't see how an apocalyptic Christian romance could possibly work, narratively or romantically.
:Shrug:

mommyjo2
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Heh, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a Christian romance werewolf/zombie story.

Perhaps I'm simply not creative enough.

Deb Kinnard
08-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I once came up with an idea I didn't put on paper, about a group of believers on the run in the end times. A romance was involved but it ended badly. Not exactly an HEA in a romantic sense.

I think a Christian werewolf or zombie story...well, it would totally depend on the treatment, wouldn't it? Zombies would have, ahem, less potential, since they're already dead if I remember correctly.

Marilyn Meredith wrote the only Christian horror story I know of. The title escapes me but I think the publisher was Treble Heart.

Still mulling whether I want to send Torn Veil a submission. Still intrigued, though.

CammyMayHunny
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Oooo, good Christian girl in love with a werewolf or vampire? All SORTS of twilit possibilities I'd think.
Probably getting her to take of her cross for romance would be tougher than getting her panties off, right?
Zombies, I can see problems. Actually the whole "living dead" concept was kind of pioneered by Christian literature, though, wasn't it?

CACTUSWENDY
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
lol...I too was wondering about the vamps and weres.....

Sorry....just can't get my head around those concepts as far as being connected to a Christian book. It might mean that I am old fashion...not sure.

veinglory
08-30-2009, 11:48 PM
It seems logical to me, having a creature in the story doesn't mean they have to be the H or h. There is a paranormal element providing the adventure--and regardless of what is going on around them, people fall in love. These people are Christian and act according to their beleifs (fighting evil, getting married before nookie etc).

caromora
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't see how the existence of a paranormal creature would preclude the existence of God. So...why couldn't a protag be Christian? It might actually make for some great conflict. Hmm... too many possibilities there. I don't need any more story ideas. ;)

Deb Kinnard
09-13-2009, 02:18 AM
You mean, Caro, beyond the 4,376 ideas many of us have percolating in our heads at any given moment?

LOL!

brainstorm77
09-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Interesting. :)

TornVeilBooks
09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Heh, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a Christian romance werewolf/zombie story.

Why wouldn't that work? :)

Folks have no trouble accepting Christian fantasy (Lewis) or Christian horror (Peretti), so utilizing monsters in a Christian story shouldn't be that hard at all. It's already been done (Blood of the Dead, World War of the Dead). Would be interesting, however, if there was a romance story throughout as well hence why we'd like to see that.

brainstorm77
10-04-2009, 03:18 AM
When will the website be up?

Usagikitti
10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I think it can totally be done. Someone already mentioned CS Lewis but let's not forget JRR Tolkien, Ted Dekkar (I think I spelled his name right) or even the Left Behind series. I think I just might take these guys up on their offer, as I have been working on a christian/fantasy novel idea for a bit now. It is more along the lines of CS Lewis than Apocolypse but our world does blow up so they are kinda stuck in the other universe so not sure if that counts for anything. And there is romance but I also was thinking more than one book but that might be able to be rearranged too.

veinglory
10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
While Tolkein was religious I think it would be a stretch to call any of his work Christian/inspirational genre? And the Left Behind series might include romance but it is not in the romance genre. So none of those examples would fall into a genre of interest to T.V.

CammyMayHunny
10-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Yes. *You could point to Christian themes in Tolkein (when not finding Nazi sumbolism) *but I would say it's hard to find Western works that aren't influenced by Christian mythology to some extent. *Especially from people who went to English public schools.

Same goes for Lewis, in my book. * Obviously Screwtape is working off Christian mythos (but isn't any "devil" story, then?) *But is Narnia REALLY a Christer parable? **
Is the Lion REALLY more a Christ-figure than a Horus figure or whatever?

But if you want a Christian romance, how about Ben Hur. *Published as "Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ" *even though JC barely has a cameo in it.

Ladyhawke_18
10-15-2009, 05:54 PM
TornVeilBooks,

Can you tell us anything about books you have forthcoming or that you've published in the past?

veinglory
10-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Um, well Aslan does tell the kids at the end that his other name is Jesus. That seems to make the intent rather clear.

Finchlark
10-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Tornveilbooks,
I sent a query to you on 14th September, no acknowledgement yet. Do you acknowledge or only respond if you are interested?

mljoshua
10-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I once came up with an idea I didn't put on paper, about a group of believers on the run in the end times. A romance was involved but it ended badly. Not exactly an HEA in a romantic sense.

This comment reminded me of that old movie, Logan's Run. Thanks for the trip down memory lane....

Sepisllib
10-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Tornveilbooks,
I sent a query to you on 14th September, no acknowledgement yet. Do you acknowledge or only respond if you are interested?

Likewise - I submitted a query several days ago and not a peep.

Not really sure I would have an interest anyway, with the payout percentages being so low and especially no upfront money provided. Kind of makes you wonder just how legit he really is, eh?

I do have a manuscript in the final stages of being finished and it will qualify easily. Guess I will wait and see where this heads but I certainly am not waiting on him.

God Bless

Bill

Deb Kinnard
12-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Their web site is still a WordPress blog. No updates on this since July. No posts here since October.

Time to weigh in, TVB, if you are still interested. There's been some talk on the ACFW loop also, as to whether to sub anything. People wouldn't mind hearing any updates. Just FYI.