Anyone not want to be "a writer?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevilla

Registered
Reaction score
Well? Is there anyone here but me who doesn't want to be "a writer?"

I have only one story in me. One piece of fiction, which I have spent the last four years desiring to put onto paper, and at the same time fighting myself for the power to do it. Four months ago, I reached a point where I began to put down words. It would be nice to eventually publish this story, but to merely complete it is my real goal. After that, I have no desire to write any other story.

Is there anyone else who has no desire to be a writer, but has only a story to tell?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have written many stories, none having any publication success, and am working on others. I don't give penguin piss whether anyone calls me a "writer" or not. I served in the u.S. Army in a foreign war, and I got called lots worse.

I would, however, like to get something I made published in a respectable venue.

caw

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
My Dad thinks everyone has one good story within him. If you only want to write one, then only write one! But make it good!

I love to write, and so I'll setlle for several good ones.

There are no rules in what you must do or what your options are for aspiration. Be who you are, and roll with it.

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a writer and I admit it. I write boring crap. I'll never get published. And I have a daytime job. I am a graphoman- just because I like writing... :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I got stories to tell, but I don't know how else to tell them other than to write them.

It seems I've mostly been writing my stories on P&CE.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. We'll see. I enjoy writing, but I'm not sure yet that I want to do it professionally. I really love my job. But we'll see where life takes me.

There have certainly been a lot of fabulous writers who really only wrote one thing, and that was all they needed to write.

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. We'll see. I enjoy writing, but I'm not sure yet that I want to do it professionally. I really love my job. But we'll see where life takes me.

There have certainly been a lot of fabulous writers who really only wrote one thing, and that was all they needed to write.

Kesey would be one of them.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
This might be me, yeah. I enjoy writing other things, but the only writing I take very seriously (as in, really care what many readers might like) is my WIP. I can't think of another novel-length story I'd be so interested in writing.

I hope I have another compelling idea for a novel later. I'm just not sure that I will. I'll always write shorts, I'm sure, but mostly for fun :)

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've wanted to write books for a living since I was five, but I can see where you're coming from. There's no way I'd pursue writing professionally if I didn't feel driven to do it, and if I weren't so stuffed full of stories.

Tell your story well. Just don't get addicted to the power of bringing stories to life, or you might end up like one of us poor souls, chained to our laptops for life

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone has a book in them (this notion is clearly bullshit), but if you do then great! Write it.

The only problem I can see with this is that writing well takes practice. Unless you write your one book over and over again, chances are it won't be very good. Because it would be your first manuscript. And first manuscripts tend to be crap. I know all my ones were.

It could also be brilliant, of course. Odds are against it, but I'm sure it could happen. If, however, your main goal is simply to get it on paper, the above probably won't matter.

Good luck.

For the record, I want to be "a writer".

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I didn't mean to start writing fiction, although I've been a paid writer for almost my entire working career. Funnily enough, I felt I had a story to tell, and for the first year of writing, I thought that would be it. Now I have a queue of stories waiting to be told. I wonder if the same will happen to you...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine wanting to write only one story. For me, learning to write is a lifelong pursuit, a vocation. I believe it was Carolyn See who remarked that learning to write to put out one book was like learning to be a surgeon to perform one operation.

If I had just one story to tell, I'd hire a ghostwriter. However, I've got so many stories a lifetime of learning won't be enough to get them all out, so I'm looking for a nice vampire to make me immortal.

Volunteers? Sparkles are okay, though no-sparkles get preference.

Last edited:

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
The only problem I can see with this is that writing well takes practice. Unless you write your one book over and over again, chances are it won't be very good. Because it would be your first manuscript. And first manuscripts tend to be crap. I know all my ones were.

Yeah, I totally relate to that...

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score

Yet, there have been quite a lot of writers who really only should've written just one thing, but foolishly, kept going. It takes a certain level of introspection and intelligence to realize when you've written all you want to write, and all you really can write.

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
Yet, there have been quite a lot of writers who really only should've written just one thing, but foolishly, kept going. It takes a certain level of introspection and intelligence to realize when you've written all you want to write, and all you really can write.

Why the heck do you have the characters from "The arm full of brilliants" on your avatar? :)

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I am sure that there are plenty of author's who had that one great story to tell.

Heck, I didn't consider myself a writer for a long time, then you know what? After that first big story ... I realized I had many, many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.