They die so fast

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the 5yo laptop died this week, not 6 weeks after I bought a netbook to mostly replace it.

It started making funny noises over the area of the HD and then BAM! it went down and claimed no OS was found.

The good news is that it is indeed the HD only, and I'll be selling it on ebay. Looks like I'll get at least 100$ for it. That's less than a tenth of what I paid for it new, but after 5 years, what the heck.

And yes, I did have all the important bits backed up. There were a few files I should have grabbed when I heard it clicking, but no dire loss.

And yes, I've removed the HD itself so that no one can get scraps of date off it later.

RIP old IBM. You served me well. Just not well enough to throw a refurb HD into you.

:)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My desk top is six years old and I wonder when it's going to die on me.....

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My Micron desktop lasted me 8 years, so I definitely got my money's worth out of that purchase.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping for another two years....

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My laptop needs a necromancer. I think the hard drive is kapoot as the computer says it cannot find one at all. The only other explanation is that the bits that hold in place got damaged.

I have backups of probably most everything, but I'd like to swipe the stuff off of there. I'm sure it will cost if the hard drive suffered a mechanical failure.

I'm not going to stress it that much. Pictures of the kiddos are my highest concern and the ones I've erased off my camera are the ones I saved on an album online with CVS. The rest of it is replaceable or not that necessary.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
8 years? That's pretty sweet.

I remember my first laptop (Dell) only made it 3 years before I gave it away (still working, mostly). I was very not impressed, so I got the IBM powerhouse. The only reason I got the netbook is b/c my back couldn't stand carrying around the IBM some days. It's a good thing I made the switch. *imagines herself it the middle of edits when the old one dies* Ick.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a brand new laptop with my tax returns, after years of enduring old problematic machines. I love it! Especially since it is fast.