Is This True?

SFB

I read this anonymous comment to a posting on Dystel & Goderich Literary Management's blog: "The English agent, Ed Victor, attended a conference for writers a number of years ago, and gave a short speech, at the end of which there was a brief question and answer period.

A young, unpublished, male writer, who had been living in poverty for nearly a decade in order to teach himself how to write fiction, asked Mr. Victor how he chose his clients, and Mr. Victor responded that he would often meet people randomly at dinner parties, or through friends, and then help them to get their work published - but only if he knew them.

The young writer asked, well what if I don't know you then?

And Mr. Victor responded with a smile: "Then you don't get published."

Is this true?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I might have been true if you wanted Ed Victor as your agent.
It is no longer true.
There are literally dozens of people on this site who have gained agents (and publication) by writing an excellent novel and then following the agent's submission guidelines.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I'm sure it doesn't hurt to be in the crowd that hoity-toits around at dinner parties with literary agents. I wouldn't know.

But as waylander said, a whole lot of folks have found success by doing good work and following submission guidelines.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the 'Goals and Accomplishments' threads. You will find many writers who found agents without knowing anyone in the business.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Yeah, this is stupid--an agent like that would be limiting himself greatly. Maybe Ed can limit himself to celebrities and friends of a friend, maybe not. If anyone knows how to reach him, I'd like to see if he remembers actually saying such a thing.

Danthia

At one point a long time ago, it was probably true for a fair number of people. Before computers, writing was much harder and fewer people tried it. (the physical act of typing on a typewriter not the story crafting) These days, no, not for most writers. Agents are looking for people with great books, and they don't care where they come from.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have never been to NY (or to a dinner party, anywhere), and had no connections that helped me get an agent. I simply queried and waited and queried and waited and wrote some more and queried--you get the idea.

Don't let silly comments like that discourage you.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Is it true that Ed Victor said that? Possibly.

If, if Ed Victor said that, is it an accurate statement? Absolutely not. Perhaps you've heard of a writer named J.K. Rowling, who knew absolutely nobody in the UK literary world, including Ed Victor.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Jumping on the "I knew no one and got repped" bandwagon. Might be true for him, but not for the industry in general.

Where are you getting this from? I and several other published authors I know went the dreary route of submitting cold call to many agents. My own agent told me that almost all his clients have come from the anonymous submission process; more often than not, when he gets a referral from someone he knows, he ends up rolling his eyes at the outcome. He also discourages clients from making referrals to him unless it's something that absolutely makes you want to pound the table for it.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So you and Toothpaste are in agreement. "Jumping on the bandwagon" means, in this context, "adding my voice to the chorus".

SFB

Just to cover my bases I will spent less time querying and more trying to get in some parties where agents go. If I party really hard maybe I will get published ;)

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Just to cover my bases I will spent less time querying and more trying to get in some parties where agents go. If I party really hard maybe I will get published ;)

I would advise you to focus mainly on querying and submitting your manuscript. That is how the majority of writers achieve publication. It's also the standard and 'professional' way to do things, if ya know what I mean.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

I think you're kidding--right?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Where are you getting this from? I and several other published authors I know went the dreary route of submitting cold call to many agents. My own agent told me that almost all his clients have come from the anonymous submission process; more often than not, when he gets a referral from someone he knows, he ends up rolling his eyes at the outcome. He also discourages clients from making referrals to him unless it's something that absolutely makes you want to pound the table for it.

Uh . . . what? I said that I got an agent without knowing anyone and that therefore maybe this other agent works a certain way but it certainly isn't an industry standard. I did the exact same thing you did. I is confused :( .

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Uh . . . what? I said that I got an agent without knowing anyone and that therefore maybe this other agent works a certain way but it certainly isn't an industry standard. I did the exact same thing you did. I is confused :( .

Oops. TBD, Temporary Brain Death.

What he said.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I also got my agent by submitting queries. I'd imagine that's how it is for most people.

I mean, if you know an agent personally, it probably helps. But for an agent to restrict himself to representing ONLY the work of people he happens to know seems like a really stupid way to do business.