Dreamboat Annie One Step Closer...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Okay...so about 2 years ago I posted this thread about a musical that I wrote. The musical is called Dreamboat Annie. I wrote it about 5 years ago now. At first I just wrote it for myself...but then I thought, wow...this might work!

heart-dreamboat-annie.jpg

Released in 1976. I was 10. I spent most of that year wearing these:

muspics70s_prod_12_lg.jpg
and listening to the absolute awesomeness of what I still consider one of the greatest albums of all time.

The musical has always been in my head. So 5 years ago I wrote it down and put it away. Then 2 years ago I thought maybe it's not so crazy to think about contacting the band's managers and approaching them with the script.

Then I thought...people like this probably have crazy people approaching them with crazy ideas every day. What makes me NOT crazy? But when I posted the thread here it really renewed my interest in the musical. Mr. Chris Clock even gave me Heart's contact info...which I am still holding onto.

Then I sent it out into the world...well, my world that is. The first person to read it was an actress friend. She begged me to use my pull to get her the main role. (-; Friends are nice...but you never know how to take their feedback.

Then I sent it to a critique friend. He said he saw it come to life in his head. Gave me some good advice for improvements, etc...but loved it.

Today I got an email from the third reader...a playwright. She said she had tears in her eyes in a few places, wanted to go buy a lighter just so she could hold it aloft in the cafe scene where all the patrons clap hands in unison to White Lightning and Wine. She just about went ape-shit in her review.

I think I'm ready to bring my 'crazy' idea to the people who could nix it or...or what....or otherwise, I suppose.

I really really love this musical. I hope they don't think I'm crazy. I hope they read ALL of their mail. I hope they ask to see it.

Anyway...this is in Goals & Accomplishments because I got 3 wickedly awesome reviews for my stage musical, which I guess you could say is an adaptation of Heart's debut album, Dreamboat Annie. (-;

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I remember this the first time you posted about it.

I'm so glad you've got good reviews so far! And keep us updated.

exciting!!!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you both! I'm still a bit nervous and shy about the contact...but this latest email has made me so excited about the whole thing. Even if nothing comes of it, it was a blast putting the musical in my head to paper. (-;

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I love it. I've considered writing a play, but never a musical. It sounds like fun.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks guys. Wayne...it's just a play with music. (-; I didn't write the music, of course...I just placed the songs from the album into the play. The whole thing can be axed in a second...or embraced. Who knows.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks, Dog.

A quick question if anybody feels like answering:

My latest reader was unhappy with the name choice for the Magic Man character. I chose ROBBIE. I thought it fit and I thought it worked with the 70s feel of the piece. She said it wasn't quite epic enough a name. I disagree. I think it works, but does anybody else? (-;

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Robbie's cool.

Go for it about contacting Heart's management about the project. Otherwise the musical will reside in a trunk, instead of getting that chance to fly. Hey, call me a goof, but if I was connected with Heart, I'd take a look at something that could earn them big bucks if it went the "Mama Mia" route.

And I want those headphones.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when you posted about this quite some time ago. I still think it sounds like a great concept. How do you go about querying on something like this? Perhaps you should mention the mega success of Mama Mia - that should grab their interest.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Kevin, that is super. Way2go and hopefully you'll be able to see it on stage! Calls for :Cake:! :)