Semantics

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
As the author of seven books of non fiction and three YA novels, I am wondering what would be the best way of presenting my new novel:
1) This is my fourth novel
2) This is my fourth novel, first for adults
3) This is my first novel
4) This is my first novel for adults

5) Does it really matter one way or the other? Assuming everything else being equal (ie. that the novel is any good) I've heard that sometimes a first novel is easier to sell than a fourth novel (especially if the other three novels haven't achieved Grisham sales levels). In that case, maybe I'd be better off with a pen name for the new novel (even though all the YA novels are now out of print).

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
"I have published seven previous titles in the non-fiction and young adult markets, of which ___________ [name of book] received the _______ award and two of which sold through the first edition in hardback."

Numbers matter more than genre once you get several out there. Are you a commercially viable property?

At least, this is how I'd do it! :D

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still wondering, as far as novels go, which is more commercial, to be considered a first novelist or someone on his fourth novel, and how much does the YA/Adult distinction make a difference to an aquiring editor.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Fiction is fiction, non-fiction is non-fiction. Genre or topic doesn't matter all that terribly much to an acquiring editor, except for the type of publisher. If the previous seven books were with PA or some other vanity press, then they don't even count as credits. You might separate out the small press from the large press. If they're self-pubbed, then the sales numbers (if they're good) are critical. If the sales weren't so good, gloss over it or don't mention them at all.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
To be a little more specific, the fiction was with Houghton Mifflin, the non-fiction with Macmillan, Holt, Scholastic, Schirmer and Harper Collins. As far as sales figures, who can follow royalty statements? Let's just say, it was nothing astronomical.
If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying I should bill this as my fourth novel and leave it at that?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
4th novel. It doesn't matter what genre/age group -- a novel is a novel.

Or do you need to tell people what #? I mean, you can do something like "...author of seven books, X's new novel is about..."

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
My feeling was, especially in approaching a new agent with a manuscript, that they might be more impressed if they knew I've published fiction before.
But then, on the other hand, I was worried that if I've already published three novels, they might consider me terminally mid-list.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
popmuze said:
To be a little more specific, the fiction was with Houghton Mifflin, the non-fiction with Macmillan, Holt, Scholastic, Schirmer and Harper Collins. As far as sales figures, who can follow royalty statements? Let's just say, it was nothing astronomical.
If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying I should bill this as my fourth novel and leave it at that?

Personally, I like to have a background of those who have queried. We ask for a bio at the query stage because I find it helpful in getting a feel for the author. I'd say exactly what you said above. Let the editor know your credentials.