Author/Agent Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian4143

Registered
Reaction score
Question for you: If there are a few parts of the Author/Agent contract I would like to change before signing what is the best way to approach that? I'm not the best person at negotiation, so I'm curious about how some of you may have done it.

For instance, there is an interminable agency clause in there as well as another line about keeping 15% of all income deriving from the Project. I want to ensure that doesn't mean speeches, etc. and just advance/royalties directly from the sale of the work.

Appreciate the advice.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If there is anything in the contract that you question, the best move is just be direct and ask. Have the agent explain exactly what those clauses mean and, if you're still unsure, why they are in the contract. You're hiring this person to represent you, so ask away and be sure you're comfortable with what you're signing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, but I believe that anything you want to change (which of course would be after discussing it with the agent), you would change on the contract and both parties would have to initial after the change.

adrian4143

Registered
Reaction score
In doing research on this I noticed that the contract is taken nearly word-for-word from Jeff Herman's book. So am I to assume this is a pretty standard agreement?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
In doing research on this I noticed that the contract is taken nearly word-for-word from Jeff Herman's book. So am I to assume this is a pretty standard agreement?

Unless the agent in question actually is Jeff Herman, I'd be wondering why the agent needs to take their contract nearly word-for-word from another agent's book - especially one aimed at aspiring writers. Does this agent have a track record?

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Don't bother with email, just call and ask. If you're at the contract stage, you should get comfortable talking to the person you'll be working with for some time.

adrian4143

Registered
Reaction score
The agent is not Jeff Herman. Which is why I found it quite interesting that the proposed agreement was nearly word for word from his book. The agent in question does have a track record of sales, not many of late, but he explains it is because he has taken on fewer projects due to the difficulty in making sales in the current economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.