If Starbucks banned laptops...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Ran across an interesting article today.

The post cites the example of Naidre's, a coffee shop in Park Slope, in Brooklyn, that limits the hours in which patrons can ogle their laptops without, well, eating. You cannot just be typing and sipping between the hours of 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekends.
A sign in Naidre's expresses the owner's emotions on the subject very clearly: "Dear customers, we are absolutely thrilled that you like us so much that you want to spend the day...but people gotta eat, and to eat they gotta sit."
Some coffee shop owners in New York even cover up electric outlets, so that the enterprising, the impoverished students, the merely very lonely or the merely very brazen cannot boot up, sip java, and take up valuable table space all day.
Which leads one to wonder just how painful it would be if Starbucks took their lead and banned laptops throughout its vast network.

What d'ya think?

Reaction score
Makes sense. They're a business, not a homeless shelter.

Not that I've ever given Starbucks a penny of my cash though...

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
Just try to order a cup of coffee, they don't know what that is. Order a venti mocha latte' with cream that they understand.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Well, considering I get 2 hours of free wifi because I have a reloadable card that I've registered on their site, I'd be pretty pissed if I couldn't sit there for a while with my $5 coffee.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I can get a pound of good coffee for what they charge for a large whateverthe-F.

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
I can get ten pounds of crappy coffee for that.

Reaction score
Tea. I prefer Twining's Assam.

Not many soft drinks, although I like Lucozade and Dr Pepper.

Not as much water as I should, but that too.

Anyway, the central library in my city has stealable interwebs, and a few other places have that too. I know Borders does it, but whether you have to pay or not, I'm not sure.

Might try Waterstone's when I'm in town tomorrow.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Starbuck's doesn't offer tea? :eek:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Some of the Bread Co. stores in the St. Louis Metro area have begun battling "laptop spread". They capped all the power outlets, then put a really short lease on the internet access (one of them is less than 1/2 hour). And it's costing them probably a hundred bucks every week - two weeks, from the writer's group that used to meet there.

That's how capitalism is supposed to work, though. Don't like the management's decision? Vote with your wallet.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
It's criminal to pay $5 for coffee

It is, but I don't spend just a whole ton of money on myself. So on weekends I get a venti non-fat latte, extra hot(typically) and I enjoy every mouthful without any thought about the cost. Plus I just plain love having someone else make me a cup of coffee now and again.

Starbuck's barely serves coffee like products.

That's just your opinion. I happen to like their espresso-based drinks.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I just pictured the Family Guy episode where the two guys are sitting in Starbucks with their laptops writing screenplays, and say they can't write without anyone else watching them do it.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I love Starbucks' coffee (specifically, mocha with whipped cream and one pump raspberry), but I was really pissed off the day I sat down and discovered they'd started charging for internet. I don't go often as it is, but I'd go even less if they banned laptop usage altogether. I thought the whole point of a coffee shop was to invite people to sit around and read, do their writing, whatever? Wasn't that the whole "atmosphere" idea?

Anyway, if they don't want people spending the entire day there, all they have to do is come up with some kind of table-time-limit system. Maybe when you buy a cup of coffee they give you a "table timer" - a code or a card or something you can take to the table and start a timer. Say it goes for two hours; when two hours is gone, and someone else needs a seat, you're asked to leave. Basically just something to help the employees avoid the awkward "we're going to have to ask you to leave" conversation.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
If it's crowded, then I suppose it's polite to not stay long. If it's mostly empty, though, then we might be doing the shop a favor by staying. It makes the business look busy.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just try to order a cup of coffee, they don't know what that is. Order a venti mocha latte' with cream that they understand.

I've only rarely had Starbucks coffee, but I'm tempted to go in and when asked what I want to order, just say some random French and Italian words and see what I get.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I don't drink coffee, but I used to get their hot chocolate all the time. Good stuff. There were also many days that I would go there to read. I'd be there for a couple of hours at the most though. Definitely not all day.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only rarely had Starbucks coffee, but I'm tempted to go in and when asked what I want to order, just say some random French and Italian words and see what I get.
"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't sell 'corn squeezin's' here."

The local INDIE -- not Starbucks, not a part of a chain, an INDEPENDENT AND INDEPENDENTLY OWNED AND INDEPENDENTLY OPERATED place WHICH IS NOT A FRANCHISE -- coffee shop I go to considers any purchase you make rent for the table. I was there one day long enough to cover breakfast and lunch services, so they got a nice chunk of change out of me.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I always buy more of something if I'm taking up a table for long (Ummm, cake... in a bag for home?).

If it's slow and there are no waitresses (like Starbucks)? Meh, I see no problem.