WHAT to send the agent - Query or Full Proposal??

yonasmichael

Yonas Michael
Registered
Reaction score
I've finished my 70,000 word memoir, written a full proposal, and have a query letter - and I have no idea how to go about this. I've compiled a list of agents and I'm not sure what to send them: just the query letter? The query AND the full proposal, as well as the attached sample chapters? What's the standard with that?

And if it's just a query letter, can you just send that by email if you have their email address?

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Proposals are for non-fiction, like memoirs. Queries are for fiction, like novels and novellas.

If the agent accepts email, then email it - IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL, not as an attachment.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Actually memoirs are treated like fiction. They have to be complete. Write a query letter and follow the guidelines that each agent has. Usually you can include the first five pages or so with your query.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
The most important thing is that you follow the guidelines posted by each agent. If none are posted, which would be unusual, send an email and request same (be sure to state the genre).

Most often, as Orion said, you'll be sending a query letter. I'm sure I don't have to remind you that the query, that one page, is the most critical piece of writing you'll have ever done. Bad, poor, cliche, poorly written, boring, lacking info, etc., etc., and you'll never get the opportunity to send your 70,000 words to an agent or publisher. It behooves all of us who send out queries to not only make them great, but to try and make them stand out from the crowd -- easier said than done.

yonasmichael

Yonas Michael
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of your feedback, guys! So if I send the 1-paged query, by email (to the ones that allowed email), stating that I had a manuscript and full proposal prepared by request, that is sufficient?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of your feedback, guys! So if I send the 1-paged query, by email (to the ones that allowed email), stating that I had a manuscript and full proposal prepared by request, that is sufficient?

Check the agent's submission guidelines to see what else, if anything, the agent will accept. Often they will accept pages pasted into the email, too. If they do, definitely paste whatever amount is allowed.

And make sure the agent accepts memoirs - even though you use a query, like fiction (unless directed otherwise by the specific agent), it is still it's own genre and part of nonfiction.

~suki

yonasmichael

Yonas Michael
Registered
Reaction score
Check the agent's submission guidelines to see what else, if anything, the agent will accept. Often they will accept pages pasted into the email, too. If they do, definitely paste whatever amount is allowed.

And make sure the agent accepts memoirs - even though you use a query, like fiction (unless directed otherwise by the specific agent), it is still it's own genre and part of nonfiction.

~suki

Great, thank you! I'll check out their guidelines ... and yeah, I'm only sending to agents who work with memoirs, so I'm good on that end! :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Actually memoirs are treated like fiction. They have to be complete..
I've read more than once that you don't need a complete ms. Do you have a source for this?

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
m

Last edited:

yonasmichael

Yonas Michael
Registered
Reaction score
When you say send a complete manuscript, does that mean INSTEAD of the proposal? Or should I send both together?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
A proposal is for non-fiction. If you are an unpublished UNFAMOUS individual you will have to have a great query and a finished manuscript...
Yes there are rare exceptions but in this economic climate they are few and far between.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I've read more than once that you don't need a complete ms. Do you have a source for this?

You can query an incomplete memoir if you're a) a famous person, or b) an ordinary citizen who was part of a hugely famous event. (Or, I suppose, c) if you're someone who has already made a splash with short-form memoir in print or on radio.)

Other than that, you need to have a completed manuscript to query the signficant majority of US agents. Memoir is an unusual form of non-fiction in that regard.

See here and here for two discussions of why.

Newport2Newport

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyeshore.com
I posted this in another thread, but perhaps it'll add to this discussion.

From today's blog entry by Bookends, LLC:

Can memoirs be sold on proposal or do I need to finish the entire manuscript?

Memoirs fall in the area of narrative nonfiction and any time you’re doing research on how to submit your book you should treat narrative nonfiction as if it were fiction. In other words, debut writers always need to write, rewrite, edit, and proof the book before even querying. Once you’ve established yourself (sold) as a fiction or narrative nonfiction writer, you’ll have the luxury of being able to sell on proposal.

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2009/08/random-questions.html