Does writing count as an occupation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to go to work for a construction company, and one of the clauses in their employee handbook states that they frown on outside employment. I've never worked for a big construction company, so I wouldn't know what's standard in that area or what. However, I was just wondering, if I were to start getting short stories published, do you think I'd be putting my job at risk?

Should I wait until my financial situation is a bit more stable?

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so they just don't want me working for competitors?

Sort of like when I worked with Walmart, and they had a thing against employees working for Target, K-Mart, etc.?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I think they mean more like you're not building decks for cash on the side. Decks that could fall down, and then people could sue them because you work for them and even though you weren't actually doing the work through the company, the people who hired you knew you worked there.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
On a side note, can anybody who's worked in this line of business tell me if it's as dangerous as they make it sound?

I just got back from my OSHA classes, and they made the whole plant sound like a giant death trap.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of plant are you working in?

Lots of things are deathtraps. A healthy dose of fear is a good thing. Makes a person a little more cautious.

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
Construction is sort of a broad term, so I can't really give you advice, but it's OSHA's job to make sure they go through all the dangers with you.

My boyfriend has worked in several different aspects of pavement maintenance since he was 12 or so and has yet to have a serious injury (that includes in plants). However, if OSHA suggests using a mask/gloves to do some sort of task, do it. There are some nasty chemicals in stuff.

To writing as an occupation: they won't care, although you'd probably want to steer clear of short stories that vent your feelings about your boss (if you are angry with the boss for some reason) or that sort of thing ;) They just don't want you doing other stuff in the industry, for reasons already stated above.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
When my insurance agent asked me my occupation, I said 'writer' and she put down 'other'.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be surveying. Not exactly sure of anything quite yet. I've been told it's mostly measuring foundations for building, but from what I learned today, it sounds like the plant is already more or less built. As far as I know, I start the real work Wednesday.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Do your safety training. Know your rights. If you're unsure of something, ask. If you don't feel safe doing something, don't, and tell someone why so it can be addressed. If you aren't trained to do something, don't do it. Common sense type stuff, but worth reminding yourself of from time to time.

Surveying, you'll most likely be in areas where active work isn't ongoing. You'll be away from the action for the most part, but there will still be hazards. Be aware of them, and you should be fine.

My rule of thumb on site: If it's bigger than me, it's got the right of way. ;)

drksideofthemoon

Nothin' much to say...
Registered
Reaction score
East of the sunset and west of the moon rise...
I'm about to go to work for a construction company, and one of the clauses in their employee handbook states that they frown on outside employment. I've never worked for a big construction company, so I wouldn't know what's standard in that area or what. However, I was just wondering, if I were to start getting short stories published, do you think I'd be putting my job at risk?

Should I wait until my financial situation is a bit more stable?

No, you are not putting your job at risk. They don't want another job intefering with your employment with them. They don't want to hear, "I'm sorry, Mr. Bossman, I can't work until 6:00 today, I've got my second career at 7 Eleven waiting for me at 5:00."

Getting your stories published, and getting paid for them will not violate that clause of your employee handbook.

drksideofthemoon

Nothin' much to say...
Registered
Reaction score
East of the sunset and west of the moon rise...
On a side note, can anybody who's worked in this line of business tell me if it's as dangerous as they make it sound?

I just got back from my OSHA classes, and they made the whole plant sound like a giant death trap.

Construction is dangerous. It's the nature of the beast. Pay attention to what they teach you in the safety meetings. Wear your equipment, and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it would be an issue.

I'm not going to tell you to do something that would get you fired, but I don't discuss my attempts at publication in literature with my bosses because I don't think it's any of their business. If I'm not doing it on their time they have no say, that's the way I feel anyways.

Besides I use pen names in both my chosen genres. So. Not likely they'd find out anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.