• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need beta reader for Harbour City Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmalinguist

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Looking for a beta reader to review Harbour City Story. As for criticism, be as harsh as you can. But, please! Enjoy at the same time.
This is a crime/thriller novel, set in a fictional city modelled after New York. Below is the synopsis for anyone interested!

Harbour City is a New-York like environment; seven boroughs of segregated culture. City officials take second jobs informing organized crime and the port is under criminal control. Corruption runs deep and wide. In the 1990’s, mass civil protests led to the deconstruction of the modern day Mafia, through a series of trials and undercover operations. When the dust settled, one family was left standing, to which all the other families flocked. There, the disarrayed mob re-organized into a giant crew, led by Don Alberto Rossi. The Mafia was quarantined to one of the boroughs, where there was no police presence, and no protection for the citizenry.
After ten years of peace, Rossi is dying, and has nominated his grandson Michael as his heir to the throne. As the Don slips further, Michael plans a violent take-over to reclaim his family’s place in the city forefront. Harbour City is being poisoned by terror once again.
One morning, Jackie Eckhart awakens in an alleyway, covered in blood with a blank memory. When a crooked detective frames him for murder, Jackie is forced to confront his missing past. With his kids in foster homes to boot, he re-connects with an old flame; returns to the employment of Greek smuggling crew, and makes hard choices. Old friends turn on him, and new enemies emerge. As Michael becomes consumed by his newfound power, Jackie finds himself in the most powerless position of all.

Word Count: Approximately 130,000 words.

Please respond if you are interested.

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
Well, "Michael" - is a little bit too obviously reminiscent of One Well-Known Gangster, but as for everything else- sounds fresh and interesting so far. I don't think I'll be able to read the whole thing any time soon though... (

karmalinguist

Registered
Reaction score
Well, "Michael" - is a little bit too obviously reminiscent of One Well-Known Gangster, but as for everything else- sounds fresh and interesting so far. I don't think I'll be able to read the whole thing any time soon though... (

Ah, Michael was orginally named Vito, but because I already had a Vito, I changed it to Michael, in tribute to those great films. The character, however, is very different from Al Pacino's Michael Corleone.

I can send you a sample, if you like.

karmalinguist

Registered
Reaction score
send me a message with your email, or just jot it here and I'll send you the first 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.