Why is it easier to catch a fly with chopsticks than it is to recapture inspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday, I got back on the writing horse after being off it a couple days. Pattered away at the keyboard for about an hour, having an easier go at it than I expected. Everything seemed to be falling into place where I thought I'd have trouble, given I felt I'd end up shoe-horning things into place in my attempt to seamlessly mesh two previous drafts together into one uber-draft.

Then our power went out. Stayed out from 4:30-11:45PM. Microsoft Word salvaged all of my hard work, thankfully, but when I went back at it today, I felt like I was only managing to be a poor man's me. Couldn't even bring myself to suffer through it with the, "Butt in chair," philosophy because I was writing myself further and further into a corner because of the crap that was pouring out. While yesterday I was decisive about plot details, today I am wishy-washy and unable to choose one direction and stick with it.

I considered going back over what I'd written today and yesterday instead, thinking maybe it'd help me get back in that head space, but hated the prospect of going back over the crap I churned out in the past couple hours. I'd spend a couple more hours just untangling the disorderly web I spun.

I remember Scarlett being particularly down on herself at one point about being a hot and cold writer, and I recall expressing that I felt the same way at times, but I think I am beginning to plunge into the same depths as her in terms of having tons of misgivings and feeling cold enough as far as writing is concerned for me to think it's already winter. Don't know if I'm looking for reassurance or what, but I just felt I needed to post this. Say to it what you will.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
For me, there is such a thing I call the 'writing mood.' And I'm not always in it. When I'm not, it's all but impossible to write.

I couldn't touch my WIP for almost a month a while back. That was when I was dragging myself through the 'middle portion' of the story. When I got to the climax, I found myself writing for hours a day.

So, it varies. The important thing is to make sure that you don't lose it completely and do come back to write.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Inspiration is like luck, sometimes you have to push it, and sometimes you have to leave it alone. Figuring out which to do is the trick.

ColoradoMom

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.the-simple-homeschool.com
I look at it a different way - perhaps because I write non-fiction for my own business, but for me no writing = no money. I can't make sales if I don't have a new product to push every time I send out a newsletter.

I guess the money is enough to keep me going. That doesn't mean I have days when I don't feel like writing a particular book. I've been putting off an anatomy and physiology course for my website since May, but I have put out 7 other courses in that period of time so I don't feel so bad. I think the key there was - I wasn't "inspired" to write that anatomy and physiology course so I moved on to one that DID inspire me and got a lot done until my A&P deadline was so close I had no choice but to take it back up.

I read an article on the band Linkin Park a few years ago where they were talking about their success. They said - this is a business - yes we are musicians and yes we like to do the things that musicians do, but before we ever got "big" we made a conscious commitment to act like business partners. If one person isn't pulling his weight in the business, we can fire him.

I thought that was a pretty novel way to look at being a rock star! Maybe writers need to take stock in how they approach their art and treat it more like a business that requires the same amount of commitment as a start up company. Not that many, if not most, writers don't take it seriously, but a business plan is never a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.