PDA

View Full Version : Published & had 1st book signing - Borders Question

HippieGirl
08-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I bit the big one and self-published my debut novel, Megan's Way - reviews have been great so far from readers. I had my first book signing in Eastham, MA (the book is set in Cape Cod) and there are three stores selling it there. I am on B&N.com and Amazon.com and am working to get my book into other bookstores. Here's the issue - there's no way through Outskirts Press (my POD publisher) to get a discount of higher than 40% through Ingram/B&T. Barnes and Noble requires 42% (damn!) and they won't order outside of I/B&T. I am trying to find out what percentage Borders requires, but cannot break through anywhere. The local manager said he'd try to get my book, but since Ingram gets a 40% discount, they only give 20% to retailers (total bummer) - The question is - does anyone know Border's requirement for discount rate? Also, if they can buy from a publisher rather than a wholesaler? The manager thought they could, but could not point me to the right people in MI to speak with.

Peachnuts
08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Well, I have no advise, but offer my congratulations for pushing through and doing it your own way.

HippieGirl
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks - it was my husband's doing, really. I was querying agents and kept getting pretty positive responses that ended with things like, but with the economy, I am only taking on one new author this year, and Great ms, but I tried to sell a novel such as this last year and failed, as well as the normal form-letter rejections (urgh!). I was waiting to finish writing my second b/c I was pushing this one so hard - he got sort of sick of it and really pushed for me to do the POD route. I have been happy w/it so far - reader reviews have been great - I get notes from readers often - but pushing into the larger bookstores is nearly impossible.