I think I'm in love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
With Ray Bradbury.

I'm sorry guys, but I've been DYING to share these quotes ever since I read them. They're from a short essay at the back of my recently read copy of Fahrenheit 451.

The entire thing can be found online, for free, here Coda

Bradbury on cramming 400 short stories by Twain, Irving, Poe, etc into one school textbook.

Simplicity itself. Skin, debone, demarrow, scarify, melt, render down and destroy. Every adjective that counted, every verb that moved, every metaphor that weighed more than a mosquito - out! Every simile that would have made a sub-moron's mouth twitch - gone! Any aside that explained the two-bit philosophy of a first-rate writer - lost!

Every story, slenderized, starved, blue-penciled, leeched and bled white, resembled every other story. Twain read like Poe read like Shakespeare read like Doestoevsky read like - in the finale - Edgar Guest. Every word of more than three syllables had been razored. Every image that demanded so much as one instant's attention - shot dead.

Do you begin to get the damned and incredible picture? How did I react to all of the above?

By "firing" the whole lot.

By sending rejection slips to each and every one.

By ticketing the assembly of idiots to the far reaches of hell.

The point is obvious. There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. Every minority, be it Baptist / Unitarian, Irish / Italian / Octogenarian / Zen Buddhist, Zionist / Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib / Republican, Mattachine / FourSquareGospel feels it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse. Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme.

And then there's this... I was nodding so fervently I think I gave myself a concussion.

For, let's face it, digression is the soul of wit. Take philosophic asides away from Dante, Milton or Hamlet's father's ghost and what stays is dry bones. Laurence Sterne said it once: Digressions, incontestably, are the sunshine, the life, the soul of reading! Take them out and one cold eternal winter would reign in every page. Restore them to the writer - he steps forth like a bridegroom, bids them all-hail, brings in variety and forbids the appetite to fail.

And finally, he wraps up with one final thrust at censorship and revisionism...

In sum, do not insult me with the beheadings, finger-choppings or the lung-deflations you plan for my works. I need my head to shake or nod, my hand to wave or make into a fist, my lungs to shout or whisper with. I will not go gently onto a shelf, degutted, to become a non-book.
All you umpires, back to the bleachers. Referees, hit the showers. It's my game. I pitch, I hit, I catch. I run the bases. At sunset I've won or lost. At sunrise, I'm going out again, giving it the old try.
And no one can help me. Not even you.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's Bradbury. :)

And yes, he's a genius. Go check out his short story collections

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
lol. Fixed. Ha.

And I'll definitely be looking into more of his books. I went out and got Something Wicked This Way Comes from the library a day after I read Fahrenheit. I liked it a lot, but I personally enjoyed 451 a lot more - more up my alley, I guess.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge bradbury fan, mostly because of those fantastic gems you find in his stories that are just "so perfect".

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Bradbury has some of the most memorable quotes ever. he comes up often on AuthorScoop's Quote of the Night feature.

I love him, too.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I fell in love with him when I was 12. I met him a year or two ago at a talk he did... sadly, he was not instantly infatuated with me. He did smile and shake my hand and sign my book, though. ;)

Something Wicked is my favorite. Followed closely by Martian Chronicles and Dandelion Wine and - okay, all the rest.

Diamond Lil

Registered
Reaction score
A few years back I saw Bradbury at the Santa Barbara Writers Conference. His keynote speech always kicks off the event. And he is as marvelous in person as he is on the page. His passion and enthusiasm are contagious.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Love it! Love his writing!

There's another "Bradsbury" buried in your post, btw. ;)

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I read everything I could find written by Ray Bradbury as a younger person in school. Vonnegut and Bradbury were my favorites for a very long time-- for very good reasons.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah.

And go read Something Wicked This Way Comes.

And Dandelion Wine, and Illustrated Man.

And Martian Chronicles.

:: huge Bradbury fan ::
The Martian Chronicles ( or the Silver Locusts, as my copy is titled) is pure gold. I read it when I was probably 13 and fell in love with it.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I read everything I could find written by Ray Bradbury as a younger person in school. Vonnegut and Bradbury were my favorites for a very long time-- for very good reasons.

Wonder if there's something to that. Bradbury and Vonnegut are two of my faves :)

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome! And it flies in the face of almost everything critique groups stand for.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I just wrote this in a thread about him already. IMHO

I picked up a couple of his collection of short story books.....and I did not like them at all. I also picked up his Zen of Writing. lol....I'm glad there are so many different types of writers. If his was the only thing out there...I would never read another book. IMHO.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I thought you guys might enjoy this essay written by Ray Bradbury on How to Become a Writer.

This was posted in the blog of a friend of mine who blogs about pop culture items.

Bradbury's article appeared in a magazine distributed to Steve's high school, and he's kept it all these years.

It's a short read, but genuine Bradbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.