Organizing for Writers

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
How do you organize your files & projects?
Do you have a special system or routine that helps you?

How many folders & binders do you have, on what, & how do you have them organized?
Also, how do you have computer files organized, & how do you do backups? (& how often :))

I would especially be interested in experiences of anyone who writes in two or more languages & for two or more markets!

There is some great advice in books by Jenna Glatzer & Kelly James Enger & Writer's Market, it would also be great to know how other freelancers have these things organized!

I can also write notes from those books & my own experience/feeble attempts if anyone's interested. :)

Last edited:

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, apparently people have no idea what to write here, so I'll start.

I have de-cluttered a few shelves & will now try to have a shelf or shelf space assigned to each of these:
- freelance writing for magazines etc
- fiction writing (old copies of my novel etc)
- songwriting & music
- environmental stuff (for research etc)
& health stuff (books & articles on what I want to specialize in)
- ...?

For freelance writing, I am thinking of these categories:
- published articles
- drafts & revisions
- article ideas
- things to research
- interview notes
- people to interview + questions (or put that into 'current assignments', if/when assigned?)

Jenna speaks of these categories:
- clip file (of published articles)
- query records (page 128)
- editors to remember (checklist on page 182)
- markets
- ideas (page 21)
& expertise (page 19)

I think she has a cabinet just for her writing, if I remember it right...

In Writer's Market Deluxe 2010, I.J Schecter gives good advice on page 59:
He suggests buying magazine file folders (colored by category - eg Gardening folder is yellow in each of the magazine files) & files for broader categories (one can make them from boxes too!)
- Contracts: put in different-colored folders (eg Bridal, Firtness, Golf, Gardening..)
- Current Assignments: put in different-colored folders as above
- Story Ideas: put in different-colored folders as above

- later on maybe files for character sketches, source notes, dialogue snippets, conferences & retreats, news items...

Does anyone have a similar system in place, & how does it work?

Kelly James Enger speaks of manilla folders, & of having books etc on the topic you specialize in at home - I may need to revisit that section..

The question is, whether to have the books (on writing or your specialized subject etc) & the folders together, or..?
And how not to get distracted by other (unrelated) books? (not sure I can eliminate all or get a closet just for writing at this time..)

How do you guys get yourself organized? Do you have a special cabinet or shelves..?
Do you have 'archive' files (bigger binders) & 'action' files (smaller transferable folders - manilla or colored, what materials?)

Last edited:

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
I googled 'organizing writers' & quite a few links pop up - not all of them seem equally useful, probably need to weed through stuff a bit..

This seems like a good article, with good detailed ideas/descriptions:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/freelance_writing/organized_writer.htm -
The Organized Writer by Misti Sandefur
I wonder if she still uses the same system or has she adapted it?

I already have hanging file folders, I just haven't been using them much (they're old, reused & not particularly attractive). I wonder if they could be tweaked or crafted to be made more pretty, & used in a way that would work for me?
Does anyone have hanging file folders & how do you use them?

Has anyone bought Julie Hood's book The Organized Writer, & was it any help? (a review here: http://juicedonwriting.com/1819/review-organized-writer-ii/ & no I don't work for them nor am I in any way associated, just have been rather disorganized all my life & trying to come up with better systems!)

I really like this author & blog too: Ariane Benefit - has anyone read any of her books or been in any of her programmes? (I haven't yet, just adored some blog posts & free stuff she has online on her website) http://blog.neatandsimple.com/2007/03/how_to_organize.html
(Again, I'm in no way associated with them, just curious!)

Last edited:

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
untitled-2.jpg

Screenshot of my organizational skills *lol*

Within the folders of each are the outlines, character mock ups, synopsis, query letters sent and rejected\partials requested\agents queried to, book covers as the folder (I'm very visual, can you tell?). Other is a list of agents, publishers and who has what and where. The contest one is NaNoWriMo and Ron Hubbard contests or any other ones that I come across along with the information for them.

Last edited:

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Tabitha, love your folders! I'm very visual too.. Do you just have a pic in every one of them, or..? (And I assume this is not the official version of the cover, or is it?)

I'm surprised by how little folders you have!
Do you just write fiction or non-fiction too?

Jeffo, interesting set-up!
What kind of folders & sub-categories in the binder do you have so far?

I'm trying to rearrange my cabinets & consider stuff from my previous jobs & hobbies as potential 'expertise' items! :)

Do you guys delete old versions of drafts from your computers, or keep them on file/on CDs etc?

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
Andreya:

The Fallen folder is a finished MS. The other 4 are works in progress at the moment. Yes those are my covers, one is not final (Fallen, I have the final but haven't change the folder attributes to reflect that yet). I write fiction, short story and novel. No non-fiction as of yet. I also am taking my shot at YA. I'm mostly a horror and erotica fiction writer though.

I work on about 4 to 5 projects at a time. When one is finished another project is added. I love working under chaos and multi-tasking. I also do book covers\cover art (my bachelors is in hyper multimedia design and IT tech). The only area I am organized in is what you saw in the screenshot *lol*

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
In my milk crate, I have a folder for each publication for storing magazines and legal stuff. Then in the 3-ring binder, I have one page for each publication with information about who to contact and a contact history for each one. That's how I'm keeping track of who I sent queries to when. It did mess me up one time when I had submitted a story idea and it was just on-line, so I had no record of it. I then submitted the same idea to another publication and they both wanted it! Whee!

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
I googled 'organizing writers' & quite a few links pop up - not all of them seem equally useful, probably need to weed through stuff a bit..

This seems like a good article, with good detailed ideas/descriptions:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/freelance_writing/organized_writer.htm -
The Organized Writer by Misti Sandefur
I wonder if she still uses the same system or has she adapted it?

I already have hanging file folders, I just haven't been using them much (they're old, reused & not particularly attractive). I wonder if they could be tweaked or crafted to be made more pretty, & used in a way that would work for me?
Does anyone have hanging file folders & how do you use them?

Has anyone bought Julie Hood's book The Organized Writer, & was it any help? (a review here: http://juicedonwriting.com/1819/review-organized-writer-ii/ & no I don't work for them nor am I in any way associated, just have been rather disorganized all my life & trying to come up with better systems!)

I really like this author & blog too: Ariane Benefit - has anyone read any of her books or been in any of her programmes? (I haven't yet, just adored some blog posts & free stuff she has online on her website) http://blog.neatandsimple.com/2007/03/how_to_organize.html
(Again, I'm in no way associated with them, just curious!)

It's been a while since I've posted here. I spend more time now working for clients, but I certainly miss chatting with everyone here at Absolute Write. I use to visit a lot, and a lot of the information I discovered here has helped me get to where I am today. I also met some great people through this forum and am grateful for all the friendships.

I'm back because the Google Alert with my name notified me of this post. ;) I'd like to respond by saying thanks for linking to my article. Of course no one uses Floppy Disks anymore, so nowadays I store my information on a Flash Drive. I must say, I love the Flash Drive! As for the rest, I still pretty much use that system, and I've also turned to storing my clips in a 3-ring binder as well.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

WOW, Tabitha, you also do book covers!! :) That's Fab!

Jeffo, thanks for the details!

I think I'll start with one folder too & then expand as more stuff happens..

Mrs75, AWESOME to see you here! Thanks for commenting! :)
Your article is fab & very helpful!!

Indeed I would have a few more questions on the hanging file folders. Do you use any color-coding?
Do you still have the same categories as listed in the article, or did you find you had to expand the folders eg from one folder of 'Magazine Publishers' to individual publishers or categories (eg Women's, Trade Magazines..)?

Also, how much info do you add to the publisher files? Just the basics or any guidelines for writers &/or your articles published by them, or similar articles on the same topic/s etc too? (Or do you store these separately?)
Oops, seems the clips are stored elsewhere - would it make sense to have them in other files too? (eg in files for publishers or research/background info?)

Where & how do you keep your articles-in-work, or short stories that aren't finished yet? If I understand it right, each is in a separate hanging folder until finished, or when finished too? Or just when it's finished?
(I started with a small folder for short stories & had to expand to a big binder.. where they sit around bored, looking for someone to finish them, so it's probably not the best system!
EDIT: I discovered some beginnings in my hanging file folders too, where they sat untampered with too - 50+ folders for each story begun seems rather a lot though-?!) Okay, that's what the Short Story Ideas file is for. When does a short story go from an idea file/binder to its own file? (depending on page count or stage of finished-ness or creative juices to finish it or ...?)

How about when you have finished them, do you toss old drafts or keep them, and if so, where? (in a binder/hanging file?)

By Flash Drive you mean USB keys or SSD cards I suppose?

And can you show a pic/screenshot of your graphs for submissions? (not sure if I understand those correctly..)

BIG THANKS for coming over & commenting!

Sorry if my questions seem silly, I would like to set up a good system & every bit of info really helps! :) As they say, 'the devil is in the details'... :)

Last edited:

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Has anyone bought Julie Hood's book The Organized Writer, & was it any help? (a review here: http://juicedonwriting.com/1819/revi...zed-writer-ii/ & no I don't work for them nor am I in any way associated, just have been rather disorganized all my life & trying to come up with better systems!)
I bought Julie's book in 2003, and have been using her Sidetracked Writer's Planner since it came out. I would have bought the book when it first came out, too, but I wasn't completely sure I needed it or not. I've been recommending both pieces of her work ever since I put them into play. I'm a binder/folder/notebook/paper lover (and pens, journals....office supplies in general), so her system really fell in line with the type of organizing I enjoy incorporating into my career. Jen Nipps uses her system, too, and has tweaked with (I believe) Fly Lady's system. I think she blogs about it, too . . .

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
I bought Julie's book in 2003, and have been using her Sidetracked Writer's Planner since it came out. I would have bought the book when it first came out, too, but I wasn't completely sure I needed it or not. I've been recommending both pieces of her work ever since I put them into play. I'm a binder/folder/notebook/paper lover (and pens, journals....office supplies in general), so her system really fell in line with the type of organizing I enjoy incorporating into my career. Jen Nipps uses her system, too, and has tweaked with (I believe) Fly Lady's system. I think she blogs about it, too . . .
Thanks! :)

Do you mean you bought the eBook The Organized Writer & not the paper book or...?
I love FlyLady too (mostly don't adhere to her teachings, but sleep next to a folder with her print-outs! she's terribly inspirational & has excellent points & ways for one to keep sanity) I'm a binder/folder/notebook/paper lover too, so I suspect it might be helpful for me too!
May now have to read Jen Nipps' posts about her system! Thanks!

Do you use this calendar? http://www.organizedwriter.com/calendar.htm (the free pdf)

Last edited:

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Jenn, thank you so much for the recommend, the e-book is awesome & I'm loving it!! :)

She opened up a whole new world of other office supplies for me too, lol... :)
So now I'm coveting the beautiful colorful file jackets and file folders at Quill & elsewhere!! :)

I can't decide which ones I like better!!

The horrible fact is I've got a hanging file cabinet which I hate to use, as it's full of boring brown hanging files - I feel extremely guilty to throw them away though, or buy new ones as these seem 'perfectly okay' (just not fun to use!!)

Also, I think I would prefer not-hanging-files, & again can't seem to justify the cost of buying new ones & not using these-?? (& the cabinet, which is reused from an old office & not so pretty..) Re-decorating would probably not be completely eco-friendly or chemical-free either, so not sure what to do.. :)

My currently preferred 'action files' are one-color cardboard folders with an elastic, where I can code with a symbol on the front side & the 'back' too (they're not most environmentally friendly though, as they have a plasticized surface & are thus probably not recyclable, & the elastic isn't recyclable either - so have been feeling slightly guilty for using them too..) &/or just cardboard folders with no elastic, which are better environmentally looking, may not be so handy for bigger piles/amounts of paper, as they can soon look tacky then, or start to overflow...

So I'm thinking about either applying color on the existing hanging folders (not sure how it would look though?) or getting colorful ones, or getting file jackets or such and just using those..?

What does this mean: '1⁄3-cut assorted tabs' - I assume 'letter size' is something like A4 in Europe? Yup, A4 is longer though so these wouldn't work in Europe, I suppose! I was even thinking to maybe order them online, lol! (Last time I checked pretty colorful hanging files were quite expensive here.)

Any thoughts on file jackets or such vs. hanging files?
Basically both can be used similarly, so the system could be similar/the same.. I like the portability factor of non-hanging files & the fact that stuff doesn't fall out of them if moved..

Last edited:

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Wow. So, I'm guessing my two foot tall pile of paper isn't part of a system...

Actually, I do my important organizing on the computer. (The pile of paper is mostly handouts from school board meetings I attend for the paper -- I just hang onto them for a few weeks before it hits the recycle bin.)

I have computer folder for Writing, and inside that folder I've got Story Ideas, Queries, and Stories 2009 (for print articles that are assigned). Then I have a folder to save things for Suite 101, Examiner, and Demand.

I track queries on a spreadsheet, list where I sent them, then update the articles as they get assigned, worked on and printed.

I also have a folder system in my email, so I can save emails according to what projects they line up with...so all the emails with the Cheese Guy goes into "cheese guy" folder, all the stuff about the Ares Rocket went into Ares... Emails to my Boys' Life editor goes into another folder and so on.

When I do something for a magazine, I print out anything that might be needed for fact checking and throw it into an exandable folder for that project. Then if the editor wants hard copies of my source material it's ready to go. Learned that on the hard way. Ouch!

CammyMayHunny

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Writers, organize! You have nothing to lose but your chain letters!

My organization approach is basically, hunt, peck, and panic.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
On the PC the bulk of my writing is stored in a program called yeahwrite , which looks like a virtual filing cabinet. I have drawers for current projects, one for scraps of writing and another for things I've copied from the net. Each drawer has named tabs (the defaults are 'general, 'notes', 'journal' etc, but for current projects I change them to 'chapters', 'notes' and 'research'

I've also got a documents folder to keep stray files, and I'll create a folder in my email client when I start submitting.

I also have a private forum where I post chapters to back them up. It's completely closed, only I can post (although I do have a small number of fans with accounts :D ) and I back up every chapter as I finish it.

For actual paperwork, I've got a 3 drawer chest by the desk which is full of notebooks and things. I've another shelving unit upstairs full of notebooks, maps drawn on wallpaper, ringbinders etc.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! :)

Reading this & the e-book on organizing for writers makes me realize we each go about this in our own way, basically everyone has to find something that suits them & their personality, color-addiction :D or other preferences...

It's really helpful to see how everyone does it, so I can scramble up the ideas and come up with something that will fit me.. /Hopefully others can be inspired too!! :)/
For example, I don't do well with 'normal' daily or weekly calendars for time-organizing like most that are found online or in organizers, so I again printed out an adapted weekly - similar to what I used when teaching.. We'll see if it works, orelse I'll tweak it!

CammyMayHunny, too often I used the 'where the heck is it?' approach too, lol!!
Or 'it's nicely stashed in binders, so it has disappeared and I don't need to work on it no more' approach! :)
So I'm trying to come up with something better!! :)

Ellfire, interesting about the forum - I could find my stuff easier on forums too - until a couple of them got closed & I got really frustrated with it!! (so I hope you do have backup for your forums too!)

I checked out Yeah Write & downloaded the free version, it looks quite impressing! with all the sub-folders etc. It now looks tempting, not sure if I want to learn a whole new system unless it's truly much more practical? Is it compatible with Word that some editors prefer (easy copy-paste? same page breaks etc?) And can you easily import stuff from Word into it?
You can copy-paste but formatting gets lost & you have to reapply fonts (like courier) - can you make it double-spaced & how? This got lost in the copy-paste-turn-to-courier process too.. When copy-pasting back to Word the formatting got lost again/scrambled too..
(This review says it cannot save documents as a Word document)

Stldenise, what kind of stuff do you print out for fact-checking: peer-reviewed research articles or interviews too?

Last edited:

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
If I copy and paste from open Office to YW, it loses the indents and replaces them with line breaks, which is handy for copying to the forum. Going the other way loses all formatting but it's easily fixed if I select all and then reformat it. It will export as RTF, which word can open. Double spaced is in the menu under spacing but it's not fancy. I use the same font on OO and YW (currently trebuchet, but that's just my current whim)

It's a lot handier just to use it as another backup than a fully fledged word pro. I have written several novels using it, but for editing, I use something beefier (open office). It is very good for keeping hundreds of bits of writing together.

I'm writing this novel in OO, but putting each finished chapter into its own file on YW. That way I can flick back to any chapter whilst having the OO doc open, plus all the research in YW for the same reason. If I'm working on chapter 3, but need chapter 2 open for reference, plus a list of notes, plus a page of plot-points, I don't want to have four items on the taskbar. Because all the research, previous chapters, notes etc are in the same program, it takes seconds to load up and flick between them.

Why were the forums closed? I've been using proboards for over two years without a problem. It's my forum, I created it. Never had a problem with it. Free hosting too. I'm a big fan of free, I'm using the free version of YW.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

So it seems like a handy system for you!

How do you send stuff to editors then? Typed out on paper or..?
And how is the page count? (I like to see words as they will appear on a page)

I had Open Office for a while, and then somehow went back to Word.. (mainly for reasons noted above, uncertain page breaks etc) I've heard it's better to hold a long document like a novel together too, though Word seems to be doing okay with my quarter-size chunks so far? Any other advantages of OO that I'm not aware of? (other than being free? :) which I like too..)

WOW for writing so many novels! Still haven't managed to finish my first one! :) How many novels have you managed to get published yet?

As for the forums, people who were admins were a bit, uhm, unstable :) And just decided to close them on a whim.. And once the forum hosts 'updated' the software, thus causing the forums to close & lots of stuff was lost and had to be manually added by admins and then somehow the forum never got ressurected.. Maybe it's a very rare case, it's good to be aware it can happen & have important stuff on back-up.

PS I may use YW as a silly inspiration system of keeping my characters' notes & memos handy! :) Plus I love the colors! I wonder if one can customize color in word too...?

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say they were published novels. But I thank you for the assumption :D I've written five - almost
Reunion
Everything Waits To Be Noticed
Haunting Of the Orc And Dragon
A Threnody For Scarlet
Asylum - not technically finished. Two chapters to go and I'm kinda blocked.

I did do some querying for 'Threnody' but got nowhere. It was picked apart on here, so that shows I have a long way to go before I'm ready to start down that path again. I sent several files via email, using - IIRC - OO exported in .doc or rtf. I'm not very techniaclly minded with OO, and don't even understand half of the formatting options. I think I did the page breaks manually, maybe that's why I got no interest!

I haven't got word, I've got wordpad, which has no word count feature *boo hiss*

Shame about the forums, I'm my own admin there. send me a PM and I'll link you to mine if you like, so you can have a look.

Leigha

Registered
Reaction score
Tabitha, what do you use to create your book covers? I am currently trying to come up with a book cover for a book I am almost ready to put on createspace but I am having difficulty with the cover.

Also what is the best fonts and sizes yall use?

Much like Tabitha I am a visual person and I have my folders arranged like hers. I am new to actually writing for someone else to see, I guess you could call me a closet writer lol. But I have one completed YA book and 2 completed children's books. I am working on a few others now, all have their own folders and I keep the query's and many rejections and the few requests in with them. I also keep the names and address of every person I have queried the book to in the folder even if I haven't heard from them. Just like to keep track. Would hate to query same person twice :)

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
WOW, I am still amazed by you guys for actually writing & finishing so much!!

I have LOTS of beginnings, & not so much finished & polished, lol!

Ellfire, I'd suggest that someone with Word goes over your manuscript/s before you re/submit.. I heard sometimes the page breaks can go funny, not sure if it's with all versions..

Did you make sure the editors said it's okay to send via e-mail? As far as I understood, for novels snail mail still seemed the best method..? I did look into this a few years ago though, so maybe it's changed by now.. (?)

Tabitha, yes, it would be great to know how you created your covers! In Corel Draw or Photoshop or...? And are they from photos or painted/drawn from scratch? They really are FAB!

Leigha, wishing you good luck with your books & you are soo right to keep track!! :)

CammyMayHunny

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have LOTS of beginnings, & not so much finished & polished

Sounds like my love life. My mom was pointing that out the other day on the phone. One reason I live across the country. She also thinks I should be more organized in my work. Which I refute with the incantation, "HA!" Organization is the hobgoblin of flaccid minds. And I'm sticking to that story.

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
lol My love life doesn't sound much better either, he he.. :)

Or my current organization - if anything, reading these books and tips on organizing is making me even MORE confused! He he..

But I'm learning a lot of things too.. :)

Have visited a recently-moved-into-new-flat couple recently, & adored my friend's new home office - it's tiny but very handy! She has her binders & stuff on shelves within reach.. (Shelves are not very 'feng shui', it still seems very handy!!) I have stuff & books all over 2+ rooms, when writing especially!! :)
I like to keep stuff on closed shelves though, for neatness & peace of mind (even if I sometimes think stuff has disappeared then! lol I had to think hard to find Jenna's book yesterday!)

I must praise myself for cleaning my desk yesterday - one really DOES gain a tremendous peace of mind!! :D

I used to hate being preached to, too - & it was only when I started reading stuff on feng shui, & then later FlyLady & such, that I got 'into' decluttering & organizing..

As a teen (& later), I had piles of books and papers all over the floor and furniture.. Then I read stuff on the floor can cause depression, & somehow magically managed to clear off the floor lol :)

I also LOVE the definition that 'Organization is finding everything when you need it' & nothing more.. So if you can easily find stuff in your piles etc.. (I didn't! :D)

I think reorganizing the attic would be fab, but how? ;)

Last edited:

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
I discovered the other day that I do have wordpad on the computer, it just doesn't come up in the list of programs. But it doesn't have wordcount, so I'm not using it for writing. And yes, I checked and double-checked that the agents/ publishers I queried preferred email.

I cleraed off my desk the other day, which means I now have room for my headphones and ashtray. :D