TIps for squeezing out some extra self-discipline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
My writing productivity the last few months has dropped to an unacceptably low level. I feel like whatever reservoirs of self-discipline I have are getting used up in the day job (which is becoming more and more of a time/energy suck), eating right and exercising, my few close relationships, keeping my finances on track, all of those baseline-type things. Has anyone managed to find ways to squeeze out more self-discipline when you feel like you're running on fumes? Or should I start considering make some more significant life changes to accommodate my writing?

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Step away from your writing for a little while. How long is up to you. You'll know when the time is right to return. That urge to write will draw you back. Just as in most day jobs there's vacation time, you need to take a vacation from writing. Read, though. Read anything and everything in the meantime.

One time an editor needed revisions done on a story for a magazine. I asked for two weeks. He said yes. I took a few days off from writing. All writing. Just read. Went back, revised the ms., and sent it in. It was fine.

ETA: This has worked for me; might not work for everyone.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If real life is demanding more of your time and energy, but you still feel the need to get on a regular writing schedule, then why don't you make a "writing date" with yourself? Just pick a couple hours every other weekend (or whatever works) and book yourself a date with your computer, maybe at the local coffee shop, and keep it just like you would any other social commitment.

Keep it loose, flexible. Make it fun--like a real date. If that works out, "sneak in" other dates with your writing. Probably within a couple of months, you'll find a schedule that works for you to spend time with your "other work love" and get some words down.

Sometimes all it takes is a different mindset to make it work. ;)

Good luck to you.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I found that turning off the TV set was the best thing for me. I didn't realize how much of my time was wasted--and I hate TV--watching bad television. It's been off now for a year and a half.

vroth

...yep.
Registered
Reaction score
For me: accountabilabuddy.

Which is code for: get someone who is counting on reading what you've written, or who is also trying to get writing. When I know that someone wants to read what I'm writing, it tends to motivate me.

But again, may not work for everyone.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
Aye, I agree with all of the above, 'specially the TV. Make sure that thing stays off whenever you've got some free time, and, if you're anything like me, than the same goes for the internet. xD

You say real life is causing the drain? Mayhaps do your writing first thing in the morning, while you're still groggy and are too tired to care about anything other than getting some coffee. That way the stresses from your life don't interfere with your writing too much. Being slow to wake up helps with this, but then again, it may only work for me. :eek:

Another thing you might try is to brainstorm throughout the day. Whenever you're running on the treadmill or doing sit-ups, or whatever, mayhaps do a little brainstorming on your WIP. Figure out what you wanna do with it during the day, then the next time you put BICHOK you'll just start typing. For me it makes me more excited about writing it out; makes me want to get it all down before I forget. Granted, it may not work for everyone.

But those are just my two cents.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Thanks for the tips, everyone! TV is not a problem for me, but the internet can be. I'll be trying some of these ideas out. Many thanks.

BlueMouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brassfarthing.blogspot.com
For me, I have found that having four kids and a messy house and a whole lot of unrelenting pain can really sap my desire to write. What works for me is, like the others said, stepping away.
When I was finishing this book, I went through a period where I just could NOT figure out how to get out of the jam I had my heroine in. So I walked away. Literally, for months, I didn't even TOUCH the computer. And as I concentrated on everyday things, dirty diapers and lunchtime dilemmas, etc., the story was percolating in the back of my mind. I turned over plot ideas, conversations, places they'd be going, etc., and one day I sat back down at the computer and within two weeks I was DONE.

Of course, then I went back and rewrote the whole damn thing, but hey, that's not the point. ;) My point is, sometimes you need some distance. Let your thoughts settle and congeal, and when you sit back down, I'll bet that the ideas come gushing out. :)

Good luck!

JamieMT

Lurker in the Corner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamiedebree.com
You might want to try going for really low word counts too - don't expect too much of yourself after a long day at work. Last week, I tried to raise my daily words to just 500, and ended up not writing several days because it seemed like I wouldn't have time (it's all mental - I write late at night after everything is done, so there's no "real" excuse). Not writing anything just makes me crabby.

I dropped it back to 250 words this week, and I'm writing again. Maybe you need to just try for 100 or 150 per day...something that seems ridiculously low *to your mind*. Once you get going, you'll probably exceed your goal by at least a little (mine was 258 last night). Then you can feel productive, just not stressed.

That's how it works for me, anyway. :) Good luck!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
JamieMT, I really like your idea of low goals. I just added 200 words to my WIP in the past 10 minutes and feel much better! That's something that I think I'll try for several consecutive days to see what happens.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Yes, Bubastes, do that. I am in the place you are - as in, I have a job, and it sometimes sucks my will to live and to write. I, too, have cut the tv viewing down to a bare minimum, because the tv sucks in my tiny little brain and makes it feel all warm and fuzzy-not a good thing for a writer brain.

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
I can't find it right now, but I know there are programs out there that you can set to block you from certain websites for certain chunks of the day. I.e., wasting too much time on Facebook? Set the application to block Facebook from 7-10pm. If I can hunt up the link I'll bring it back for you. :)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Thanks for the offer! I'm not on Facebook or Twitter (the last thing I need is another time suck!). The website I need to block the most? AW, of course. ;) I've actually resorted to unplugging the computer for now. Since I do my first drafts on my Alphasmart Neo, there's no need for the computer to be on when I'm writing.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it gets harder when you start looking at it as a chore. It's easier to do when you're enjoying yourself.

So I'd suggest just sitting down and writing until you feel like stopping. It doesn't matter whether that's after 10 words or 1000. Just stop. Come back the next day and repeat. Pretty soon you'll get back into the flow of it and begin to enjoy the story again.

And then it will be easy all the way. :)

Reaction score
I'll hire her out at an hourly rate, for two chocolate bars and a bottle of Dr Pepper for each 60-minute timeslot.

StandJustSo

Registered
Reaction score
These are good ideas - I got derailed pretty much from writing when we got a Basset Hound puppy 2 years ago... I had no idea dogs required SO much dang time and attention... she's better now, but I'm finding it difficult to get back into the writing routine I had before. I do have a writing buddy now, which is helpng a LOT.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

BlueMouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brassfarthing.blogspot.com
See, this is why only having internet access at the library or local EMS station is such a good thing for me. I write a LOT at home, sometimes simply because there's nothing else for me TO do!
Don't get discouraged if you can't churn out a bunch every time you sit down, like the others said. Some days it's a struggle to get a single sentence coherent. Others, I can't type fast enough to keep up with the story.
You kin do eet!

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
You kin do eet!
Waterboy_2.jpg

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Ugh, I think I've pinpointed the problem: loss of concentration. My day job takes crazy amounts of concentration. Music practice takes concentration. Running takes concentration. Writing takes concentration. I feel like my brain gets no down time during my waking hours, and that gets wearing after a while.

I did manage to get a little writing done during lunch, though. Any progress is good progress. I'll take what I can get until I make other life adjustments.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Bumping this up again. I think I'm going to try writing first thing in the morning now. I want to figure out a schedule that works with the day job and my energy levels, and it's so frustrating. Funny how I manage to stay disciplined on stuff that's "good for me" (diet, exercise, work, finances, flossing, etc.), but I have trouble staying consistent on the fun things (writing and music).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.