Ugh...Romantic Dialog (BioWare's Mass Effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Right!

Is it just me, or did BioWare forget how to write romance some time in the 90s?

My friend (Jayman, the Barbarian) is playing Mass Effect and, for shits n' giggles, is playing the romantic route with the Assari biotic, Linwhatever her name is.

Not only is the chemistry between the characters completely unbelievable, but the lines are LAUGHABLY bad, the voice acting is stilted and...it makes no sense!

The *characters* even say the sudden romance is baseless and makes no sense!

My mind instantly contrasts this with the knock-your-socks-off awesome romance from my all time favorite game ever ever ever: Planescape Torment.

Not only did that build up nicely, but the character interaction sizzled, the lines were endearing, funny, cute and romantic, and it actually made sense after a fashion.

Where did Bioware go wrong?

Where did video games go wrong?

Why is it so goddamn hard for these people to write romance?!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Bioware wrote BG2 (produced by Black Isle, the company that developed PS:T), which had good romances as far as video games go.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, my other friend, Paul-man...the Barbarian tells me that this is true.

But, seriously!

Is it *that* hard to write good romance in video games?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes it is.

Because the people doing the writing have little to no experience in this particular area. It doesn't help matters much that it's only in recent years that writers have slowly been worming their way into the industry. Writing romantic dialog takes a soft touch. Most writers in the industry lack experience with it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm just naturally talented, cause I kinda...ya know...wrote my first romance entirely by accident.

That might give me a slightly skewed view on the issue.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Well, it's not like the games had much different talent. Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer for Mass Effect, was a staff writer for Baldur's Gate 2. Lukas Kristjanson (lead writer for BG1) also wrote for both BG2 and Mass Effect.

I have no idea what happened in the intervening seven years to make them suck so much. Perhaps they handed off Linwhatever's lines to a newbie.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and I mean, OTHER than the tacked on romantic dialoug and the fact that 95% of everyone living in space oddly thinks they have a chance against a fully armed, three man squad of badasses, Mass Effect was a really well written game.

The universe is well done, the characters interesting, the plot good...

Its just in the romance where it falls flat on its face.

And whenever Matriarch Benezia is on the screen. God, Marina Sirtis couldn't act when she was Dianna Troy and she still can't act now!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm just naturally talented, cause I kinda...ya know...wrote my first romance entirely by accident.

That might give me a slightly skewed view on the issue.

Oh, you're a writer for a developer? Which company?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, one of my first novels didn't start as a romance. Then it became a romance.

But, as I have never worked on a video game, I can safely say that I could easily write stuff.

I mean, how hard can it be!

Okay, I'm being a little (very) sarcastic. I know that, well, there are a lot of differences between writing a novel and writing for a video game.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, writing for games is a very different beast than for novels in many obvious ways. And depending on the genre of game, you might not have a writer working on the game at all, or if you do, they get brought in much later in the process.

There's a sad story in the industry now about how Rhianna Pratchett wrote a lot more narrative for Mirror's Edge than what finally made it into the game, but a lot of it was cut, because the designers felt that too much of Faith talking was distracting to the gameplay (which of course is the primary concern of a game, particularly one in the FPS genre) and so it got cut.

That's how it is in games. Granted the RPG side of things pays significantly more attention to writing than the other genres, but even then, romance is something that's touched on in very small degrees. A lot of people writing in the industry just don't have much experience (or interest) with it, since it's obvious the majority of the demographic (and by that I mean the Halo/Call of Duty crowd, which makes up the bulk of gamers) simply don't want it. So for the most part, there's no perceived need to have writers with noticeably strong romantic dialog.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess we just need to wait till the point where graphics look so good that games will have to rely on good gameplay and story to sell.

It can't take that long to get to that point, can it?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say we're probably three console generations away from games looking so good that we hit the law of diminishing returns on further improving the graphics technology. By the time games start looking Final Fantasy Advent Children in real time, the non-technical audience will probably be happy with that level of fidelity.

And yeah, hopefully at that point, developers will HAVE to concentrate on other areas like AI in order to distinguish their products from each other.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Well, I guess we just need to wait till the point where graphics look so good that games will have to rely on good gameplay and story to sell.

It can't take that long to get to that point, can it?
And yet there's a large group of players that doesn't care much for dialog. See: the Halo/CoD crowd referenced above. They'll skip whichever conversations and/or cutscenes they possibly can. A good example of this sort of gamer is Ben Croshaw (the Zero Punctuation guy).

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And till then, we can continually wait for diamonds in the rough.

The next one I'm looking forward too issss...hmm...

Actually, I have no idea .I should look up games that are coming out soon.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And yet there's a large group of players that doesn't care much for dialog. See: the Halo/CoD crowd referenced above. They'll skip whichever conversations and cutscenes they possibly can. A good example of this sort of person is Ben Croshaw.

And the funny thing is, COD4 actually had rather good plot and characters.

I actually felt bad at the ending!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Brutal Legend. Cannot go wrong.

Or so I hope.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
And the funny thing is, COD4 actually had rather good plot and characters.

I actually felt bad at the ending!
Yeah? Do people play CoD4 all the time with their buddies for the plot and characters, or for the parts where they shoot each other a lot?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played COD4 multiplayer, cause I'm a friendless, lonely, anti-social husk of a human being.

In other words: A PC enthusiast.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
To be honest, I'm also a PC enthusiast. Clearly, we're members of a dwindling minority. Only 3D ORPGs keep the platform alive.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Indie developers are hamstrung by ridiculous development costs. There are only so many Valves in the world to hire would-be Narbacular Drop kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.