The First Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

vroth

...yep.
Registered
Reaction score
Came into my inbox today. Sigh. A little bummed, but now I feel like I've been initiated into real writerhood. How do you stop asking yourself this question, though: "What's wrong with it? Is the idea bad? Or is my query letter just bad? WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT ME AS AN INDIVIDUAL?!" (okay, so that was a series of questions, but still!)

:Shrug:

amyers27

writing when not teaching
Registered
Reaction score
I still ask myself those questions during dark nights of the soul, and I've been rejected over a dozen times!

It's going to sound hokey, but if you read The Writer's Book of Hope by Ralph Keyes, you read stories like how John Grisham was selling his books out of the trunk of his car and you feel like maybe your day just hasn't come yet.

I also have a dear friend who has been a series editor for a very successful series of nonfiction books and has published a couple of other books in his own right. Last year, he wrote what I think is his best and most important book ever. Guess what? It took him almost a year to find an agent and his agent still hasn't sold the book yet.

I guess I'm just trying to say that it sucks, but every published writer has been there, every great writer has been there, and you being there now does not mean you won't be published or aren't great.

Feel better. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Break out the champagne and toast yourself. You are now a member of The Club! Yes, I'm serious. You've come farther than 99% of writers ever come.

I have about 200 rejections total (I refuse to count). Your new mission, should you choose to accept it, is to join us in Purgatory for camaraderie, off-color jokes, and booze. :)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
I can still remember my first one; I thought the agent was a perfect match, and I was bummed.

Today, 100+ rejections and non-responses later, I don't even know how I feel. Have I become numb to rejections? Far from it. Used to them? Perhaps, a little. Do I still have hope? Not much, to be honest. I will not give up though. I'd rather die trying. :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Read Callalily's signiture line- and then repeat it and repeat it until it is engrained in your pysche!

Have you put your query up for critique in SYW Query letter hell? Have you put the first few pages of your novel in SYW?

If not- you should consider doing that, maybe its your query- maybe not- This a VERY subjective gig- apply teflon to your skin and let those rejections slide off-

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I can still remember my first one; I thought the agent was a perfect match, and I was bummed.

Today, 100+ rejections and non-responses later, I don't even know how I feel. Have I become numb to rejections? Far from it. Used to them? Perhaps, a little. Do I still have hope? Not much, to be honest. I will not give up though. I'd rather die trying. :)

I'm with you, Laura.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Aw, I so know how you feel. I got my first query rejection a few months ago and then through a funny fluke ended up resubmitting a revised query to the same agent. She loved the second query, didn't love the partial. Rejection at any point in the process stings.

I agree with the others about being persistent but I'd say it's a 2-pronged type of persistence--with the publishing world and with your own craft. Never give up on either.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I posted my first rejection (and several others that came after) on my wall near my desk as a reminder to always keep my sense of humor. I never counted the number of rejections I received because I queried off and on over three years, but I know it was over 50 and I finally signed with an agent in May. Pay close attention to what the agents have to say and get some feedback on your query letter. Your letter should be as intriguing as a jacket flap or book blurb. If you get no requests for a partial over many, many queries, then you probably need to either rewrite your letter or better target the agents you query.

Hang in there!

Last edited:

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Oh, and to tack on to Happywritermom's post above, if you haven't already, post your query in the SYW section. The wonderful people who helped me there made all the difference between the reception of query 1 and that of query 2 with the same agent so I'm a believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.