Confidence in oneself essential to writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodS

The writer, not the singer.
Registered
Reaction score
Is confidence in oneself essential to write? I have low self-esteem, and I frequently have bouts with doubt, although I - more than anything - love to write. Even more then life itself! How does one overcome this inability?

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
You write. Really. That's it.

I often think my work is absolute dreck. I'm ashamed to read it because it's so bad. But if I put it up for a while-- couple of months-- and go back to it, I find it's pretty good. Sometimes great. Definitely can be salvaged. I know this is how I operate so when I get to thinking something is lousy, I keep going anyway.

Good luck and keep writing.

Last edited:

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. I agree with above posts. you write, write and then write some more Your writing will get better every day you write. Hang out on the basic writing thread, Uncle Jime's thread, (He is an awsome teacher) and any other threads that interest you. Be sure and read the stickies at the top of each thread. they are very helpful. Join in at the office party thread and make new friends. Everyday your confidence will grow.

May the angels bless you
Jane

RodS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I love writing, but lately due to stress I've been solely writing to use my stories for finacial folder. But depression also hits. Sometimes my doubt is so great, I lose all confident in my ability, for which I have been told I have great talent.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Is confidence in oneself essential to write? I have low self-esteem, and I frequently have bouts with doubt, although I - more than anything - love to write. Even more then life itself! How does one overcome this inability?

I happen to believe that confidence in one's self is essential to everything.

Everybody has moments of low self-esteem and doubts their work. That's normal. The thing is to not let that get in your way. Accept that it's normal to doubt yourself, but rejoice in the times when you can recognize the good you do. Everybody who loves to write can (and does) produce some great stuff. If you have a love for the written word, you will make it happen and make it pretty.

So my first bit of advice to you would be to stop identifying yourself as a person with low self-esteem. Just decide you're not going to be the low-self-esteem guy anymore. It's easier said than done, I know. But positive changes in yourself start with positive thinking.

Then, start allowing yourself to feel proud of the good writing you do. And obviously, you can't do any good writing if you don't write at all, so sit your butt in your chair and put your fingers on your keyboard every single day.

Soon you'll be a cocky bastard like me.

Talamascan

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the confidence came with continued writing. The more I wrote the better I got. I think we'll always have doubts but we should never let our fears stand in our way.

RodS

Registered
Reaction score
Fear. That is my ultimate enemy. The fear of failure. However, there is a definition of Writer's Block I would to share with all of you that I think pertains to my situation. Did I mention I also have Bi-Polar disorder?

The definition of Writer's Block that I have learned is 1) Fear, 2) Lack of Discpline, 3) Self doubt. These apparently according to my research are the hallmark arch enemies of a writer. There are no doubts others, but these are the main three. And they plague me.

I visit Agent Query often for advise. A lot of amateur writers just starting out and indeed established writers visit the site. The est. writer's offer sound advise to newbies, and there are chats, and a lot of educational threads to learn from. But all that info is useless unless a writer can sit his butt down and write.

A little info about me so you can get a feel for my situation. Maybe someone can offer some advise. I live at home with my parents, my finacial debts are high, I've been stressed for yrs., I work a night job, and my parents are in fear of foreclosure on the house. So stress plays a heavy factor in my life. How can I write with all that stress? Some people might says those are nothing but excuses. Are they right?

Anyway, lots of people have said I have a great talent. I have a huge imagination, and even my writing teacher (correspondence) has told me I know my stuff. He's giving me perfect on some of my assignments. I love to write. I used to write for the enjoyment of it, but now, as I want to turn professiona, and help my parents out with the bills, I feel a flood of stress and panic to est myself quickly. And when I don't produce quickly, doubt enters. Depression is major factor in my life, it has been for yrs.

So, any sound advise on a writer who wants to est himself quickly?

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Doubt is to a writer as wet is to water. Goes with the territory as far as I'm concerned.

The question isn't if you feel fear or doubt. The question is do you let that feeling stand in your way.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I happen to believe that confidence in one's self is essential to everything.

Everybody has moments of low self-esteem and doubts their work. That's normal. The thing is to not let that get in your way. Accept that it's normal to doubt yourself, but rejoice in the times when you can recognize the good you do. Everybody who loves to write can (and does) produce some great stuff. If you have a love for the written word, you will make it happen and make it pretty.

So my first bit of advice to you would be to stop identifying yourself as a person with low self-esteem. Just decide you're not going to be the low-self-esteem guy anymore. It's easier said than done, I know. But positive changes in yourself start with positive thinking.

Then, start allowing yourself to feel proud of the good writing you do. And obviously, you can't do any good writing if you don't write at all, so sit your butt in your chair and put your fingers on your keyboard every single day.

Soon you'll be a cocky bastard like me.

QFT. Libbie nailed it.

A bit of doubt is healthy; it keeps you pushing to improve. But don't let it cripple you. Put it in its place and move forward boldly.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
How can I write with all that stress? Some people might says those are nothing but excuses. Are they right?

Yes. If you want something badly enough you won't let anything stand in your way. People have written--and do write--under the most horrendous of circumstances.

So, any sound advise on a writer who wants to est himself quickly?

If you're in it for the money that can take a good long while. So if you want to help with the bills, get a job. I don't mean that to be harsh, just realistic.

Write every day. Make it a habit. Don't sit around waiting on inspiration.

Hone the tools of your trade. Your posts are loaded with spelling errors, so learn to care about what you put on the page--even if it's "just a forum."

Don't feel like you have to produce quickly; everyone writes at their own pace.

Don't let fear of failure--or success--hold you back. Fear is useless.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Gotta echo the advice above.

You think you can make money through writing? Wow, that's a long shot, sorry.

Write to entertain yourself -- write to escape from real life -- write because you love writing. Anything else that comes out of it is a bonus.

-Derek

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, my sis is bipolar. And I was quite depressed back before meds. So you know that depression-thinking is kinda warped on its own, eh? It's hard to judge anything from those thoughts, so don't :)

The kinda cool thing is that writers pretty much all have angst here and there. So angst doesn't equal actual suckitude ;)

And trying to see how to make the writing better is also exceedingly common.

In the end, write, angst, write, make it better and better, and there ya go. You're a writer :) And chances are, the hard work will mean you are undoubtably good at it. If people have already seen talent in you, there's even more chance, I think.

Good luck!

RodS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your support. I truly believe my depression over the years, which has gotten progressively worse, has stopped me from writing a book and becoming the author I dream of. Adding Bipolar into the mix is even worse. If only I can get this depression under control or stopped...will I hope to reach my dream!

Look, I know I might sound depressing, and if people wish to ignore me for sounding so then so be it, but I'm just hoping to get advise in proceeding and reaching my goal. 20 yrs is a long time in feeling this way. I've been writing for longer. I have dozens of stories written posted on websites, and I have had a lot of great and mix reviews, so, I guess I'm asking, can severe mood disorders affect writing performance?

I'm currently writing a story about a character with depression, so I feel in order to 'feel' with this character, I need to step in his shoes, and stay depressed, or I'll loose the magic of the character. What do you think?

Sorry about any spelling errors, phones have very small buttons.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The current hand you hold in your life situation is one that would negatively impact anyone in any job or profession. For that, I (we) wish quick, positive resolution. In the meantime, we are here if you need to talk/vent. I'll agree with those above that writing for near-term financial relief is unrealistic and putting pressure on where pressure-relief is most needed. Again, calling the bet of someone else, if you need money, you need to get a job because even with first-time success, initial paydays in this business will be one or two years away.

As for writing, if one sits down and visualizes writing a book-length novel or non-fiction work, it's enough to make even the most motivated people pause. Early work in a 100,000 word poker game creates all of the "what-ifs" and "holy craps" and "just a screw up or two and I'm outta heres" that a new writer can possibly take. The trick is to practice the art of realistic goal setting. Don't look at the final "all-in" hand. Focus on the immediate cards. In other words, set two kinds of immediate goals. The primary one should be a complete chapter or a complete scene in the story. Look no further than that (except for how that chapter and scene will fit into the overall story arc) and work to finish that chapter/scene. Then, take pride in completion of the goal. Each scene in a long story is an incrediblly important and critical component of the whole. And we should take pride in each scene we write for that reason. There's another scene to be written right behind it, but you've just done one, so the next one should come a little easier because you've just succeeded in that respect.

The second goal is even more important. Some days the goods cards are just delt to your hand, and other days you get crap. Some days the writing comes quite easily. Other days it's an absolute struggle. Your second goal should be SIMPLY to make progress toward your first goal every time you sit down to write (make the most of the hand you are delt). Make sure you take this second goal without a minimal limit. In other words, if you can only write one sentence today, make sure that sentence moves you closer to your primary goal (completion of the scene). If it does that, you have made progress and satisfied that secondary goal. Make progress each time you sit down to write no matter how big or small the progress and you will continue to move forward. Don't worry about the pace of that forward movement, only that it continues each and every time you sit down.

A final suggestion is to help fight "writer's block." Don't even sit down at the computer until you are prepared to write. What this means is you have thought about the scene you are working on. You have thought about who will be in the scene and what they will be doing. And you've thought about how that scene will fit into the overall story arc. You may even want to think up a first line for the scene so when you sit, you are already typing. The worst thing a writer-in-doubt can do is sit down at the computer and expect that just by putting the butt-in-chair ideas will flow and the writing will take off. That's the best way to get in the negative spiral that you've described in your posts. You'll start fiddling with the organization of your writing space, fix a cup of tea, think about paying the bills, come here to AW, and next thing you know, you're shutting down the computer with no new words on your project. Don't come to the computer until you have something in mind to write, even if it means you stay out of that chair for a few days. With your personal situation (and even for someone without the same kinds of personal problems), some days just may not be writing days.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing a story about a character with depression, so I feel in order to 'feel' with this character, I need to step in his shoes, and stay depressed, or I'll loose the magic of the character. What do you think?

I know what you're saying, but you'll remember enough of it. I still remember enough of it, and it's been nearly two decades.

Your motivation and focus will probably be much better if you could lessen the depression. That said, I know meds are a much harder thing to get right with bipolar than the depression I have without meds, so believe me, I know it might not be easy. Good luck! :)

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Fear. That is my ultimate enemy. The fear of failure. However, there is a definition of Writer's Block I would to share with all of you that I think pertains to my situation. Did I mention I also have Bi-Polar disorder?

Sure, that will make it harder. But there are prolific (and very beautiful) writers on this board who also have bipolar disorder, and push themselves through the tough times anyway. Because they love to write, so much that they don't let a little thing like imperfect mental status stand in their way. (And who among us is perfect in the noggin? Let he who is without eine kleine crazy cast the first stone.)

The definition of Writer's Block that I have learned is 1) Fear, 2) Lack of Discpline, 3) Self doubt. These apparently according to my research are the hallmark arch enemies of a writer. There are no doubts others, but these are the main three. And they plague me.

I would agree with that definition of "writer's block." I put it in sarcastic quotes because it's not some mythical, spooky disorder that plagues creative types. It's three distinct but interlinked things which you identified. Fear. LACK OF DISCIPLINE. Self doubt.

The fear comes from the pressure you put on yourself to be brilliant the first time around. You read brilliant writing and you love it. You feel that you can make something that pretty, too. But when you try to do it, it's not all that brilliant. This scares you, because it's a lot of pressure to create something as gorgeous as the writing you love to read.

Here's the cure for fear: Take the pressure off yourself. Recognize that no writer gets it right the first time around. We all write in drafts. All of our works go through phases of completion. For most of us, a good chunk of our works in progress are pretty awful the first time through, compared to how they come out after revision and rework. So tell yourself that you don't need to get it write on the first draft, or even on the second or third. You just need to get it down.

Here's the cure for lack of discipline: Write every day, at the same time, in the same place, for the same duration. I personally think that this is the biggest. Once you get into the habit of self-discipline, the other two issues begin to resolve themselves, because the more you write, the better you get at it, and the less you fear the first draft, and the less you doubt your own ability. So pick a time. Any time. One that you can definitely commit to most days of the week. Pick a comfortable place. And pick a duration goal, whether it's for a set amount of time, or until you've written X number of words. Then do it. You don't have to work on your novel, or whatever project currently haunts you. But write SOMETHING. Not emails, not blog posts. Something creative. Write. Every day. Nobody can fix the lack of self-discipline but you.
I visit Agent Query often for advise. A lot of amateur writers just starting out and indeed established writers visit the site. The est. writer's offer sound advise to newbies, and there are chats, and a lot of educational threads to learn from. But all that info is useless unless a writer can sit his butt down and write.

And here's the cure for doubt: Stop idolizing the image of the artist as tortured soul. I've noticed on this forum that I can kill a thread dead by admitting that I think I'm a kickass writer. I'm not perfect. My work certainly needs a lot of revision. But when I lay down a sweet and juicy chapter, I slap myself on the back, say, "Damn, Libbie, you did it again," and I celebrate my abilities. I don't mope about over the large portion of stuff I write that sucks. And I sure as hell don't come onto this forum and participate in the threads that are all about doubting yourself and insulting your own abilities. There are far too many "I suck!" "No, I suck!" threads here, and I think it just feeds the fire for those who claim to suffer from writer's block. The few times when I've jumped in and said, "Well, I rock, in general," the threads have sputtered to a stop. Why? My assumption is that it's so shocking to see a writer who believes in herself that people don't even know what to do with such a confrontation.

We've conditioned ourselves to believe that you're not really a writer unless you think you blow. How sad! How much better could all of us be if we felt good about our craft, if we didn't let this expected attitude of "Oh, shucks, I really suck at writing" dominate the way we think and the way we present ourselves to the world? Of course, that means we should feel good enough about ourselves to also know where we need to improve. And we always need to improve. This is a road that will never be entirely paved. Luckily, learning how to hone your craft is fun, and an exciting adventure that will last a lifetime. Needing improvement is something to feel great about, not something over which to beat yourself up.

It's perfectly okay for you to recognize when you write something brilliant, and to be overjoyed with yourself for doing so. And to tell others that you're proud of your accomplishments. You are a good writer. I can tell you're sensitive to words just by reading your posts. So stop thinking that you need to think you suck. I hammered out more than 90,000 fabulous words in ten weeks. I didn't get that prolific and dedicated and excited to sit down and write every day by thinking I suck.

A little info about me so you can get a feel for my situation. Maybe someone can offer some advise. I live at home with my parents, my finacial debts are high, I've been stressed for yrs., I work a night job, and my parents are in fear of foreclosure on the house. So stress plays a heavy factor in my life. How can I write with all that stress? Some people might says those are nothing but excuses. Are they right?

How can you NOT write with all that stress! What better channel for your feelings than writing? If you combine your emotional distress with your obvious talent for writing, think of the splendid fiction you could produce!

Yeahk, things suck for you right now. That doesn't mean everything about your life has to suck. Wouldn't it be a boon to you to use writing to work yourself out of this hole? You can do it. The only person who says you can't do it is you.

I feel a flood of stress and panic to est myself quickly. And when I don't produce quickly, doubt enters. Depression is major factor in my life, it has been for yrs.

Stop feeling that pressure. You don't have any pressure to help them out. It's all coming from inside you. Go get a day job to help contribute to the bills. Work at Wal-Mart. It doesn't matter if you do a dinky little day job: You're a writer, in reality. That's what you're really working at. The day job is just a bridge to get there.

But you're not a writer unless you WRITE EVERY DAY.

You can't establish yourself quickly, even if you're prolific and confident. Give up that idea, because it's not realistic. You could, hypothetically, write a brilliant first draft that needs little to no editing and it would still take about eighteen months to get the first third of your advance. Writing isn't a quick game.

But you can get there faster if you write every day. And you will write every day if you begin disciplining yourself now.

Nothing stands in your way but you.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I feel a flood of stress and panic to est myself quickly. And when I don't produce quickly, doubt enters. Depression is major factor in my life, it has been for yrs.

You adding unnecessary stress to what you already have. I didn't even start writing till I was in my mid thirties. Sometimes I feel like I have to make up for lost time, but again that's just adding stress that needn't be there, so I try not to go there.

What would you rather? Write too quickly and burn yourself out in two years, or step back a bit, take a deep breath when you feel like this, and have a long and prolific career?

It isn't a race. Stress will only make your Bipolar worse. Don't add stress that isn't necessary.

And bipolar is not a handicap to writing. There are at least three people in this thread with it, including you.

I actually find it quite useful :D The depression evens helps, if you have the right attitude. No, really it does. Because I re-read stuff I've written, think 'what a load of old tosh' and work at making it better.

Determination is the key. You will get better as you write, although you may not ever get to the stage of actually liking any of it! But that can be a good thing - you're unlikely to get 'Golden Word Syndrome' where you think your every word is perfect. You can write through anything, just so long as you want it enough. Okay, maybe not childbirth. But pretty much anything else.

Don't write for money
Don't write because you think it will solve all your problems
Don't write for your parents
Don't write because you think you should

Write because you love it, because you can't not write, and the rest will come.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I hope I didn't sound like mood disorders were always crippling. Mea culpa! Mine really, really was and my sister's bipolar is terribly severe. Certainly there are shades of grey... I'm sorry, y'all :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think mood disorders, chemical imbalances and complete insanity are a good jump-off point for a writer. Who wants to read a sane rational book?

There's also a closeness that insanity gives me to creativity, that I'm convinced can make or break your mind, forget about your writing.

I've been diagnosed Manic/depressive, Borderline personality disorder, Suicidal, homicidal, and for a good part of my young adult life, I was a sociopath, because of a repressed memory. Depression is status quo, and anxiety is my middle name. I figured "the hell with it" and wrote a book about it. That book will be published some day.

So, your answer is simple. The hard part is accepting what's wrong with you and learning to live with it. It took me a long time, but I got there, and if I can do it, so can you.

Now go write me a crazy book.

RodS

Registered
Reaction score
You adding unnecessary stress to what you already have. I didn't even start writing till I was in my mid thirties. [U said:
Sometimes I feel like I have to make up for lost time,[/U] but again that's just adding stress that needn't be there, so I try not to go there.]

And I thought I only felt this way.

--

Oh, and by the way, I may not have made myself clear. I do have a job, night security guard, with okay pay. What I was referring to is extra income, heavy income, like thousands to pay for my mother's medical bills, and a house foreclosure. That is the stress that is killing me at the moment. I didn't mean I wanted to write for money. If I wanted just that, I would have quit long ago. I enjoy writing, I just wrote a short story earlier this morning before my shift ended. It was fanfiction, but I enjoyed writing it. I have my good moments and bad moments.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I found that the feedback I received from the strangers in the writing group I joined I joined helped me a great deal. These folks are no longer strangers, but we have nothing in common other than we meet twice monthly to discuss and evaluate each other's writing.
Before joining the group, I thought I was doing OK, but had no idea if I was a terrible, weak, mediocre, good, excellent, or fantastic writer. It turns out, the members of my group, particularly the facilitator, consider my writing to approach excellent. It really keeps me going when I hear comments like that.

If you haven't joined a writers group, I'd reccommend you do.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can definitely understand where you're coming from with wanting to get a good chunk of money to help pay off family bills. That's got to be really stressful.

Unfortunately, writing isn't a quick route to money for the huge majority of writers who get published. Advances for first-time novelists are usually around $10,000 - $30,000, depending on genre, and you've got to write a book that's worth selling first. And then get it sold, which takes a lot of time.

I'm not telling you this to deepen your depression. I just want to make sure you're being realistic about how to get money.

However, you CAN make that kind of money -- and better -- if you're willing to be patient with yourself, cultivate that much-needed discipline, and work hard. It sounds like you are. Others' suggestions to join a writing group are great. That kind of personal feedback on your writing would probably be really helpful to you!

RodS

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I understand totally where you're coming from Libbie. I might have gotten off on the wrong foot here. My madness method to writing is for myself in general. My problem is how to find an agent. If I knew how to do that, or had some contacts, my motivation for writing for be assured, and some stress would be exhausted. But I don't know where to start finding an agent other than looking on the net (which would take forever, I don't know who to trust?), and certain Market guides that come out annually. I get overwhelmed sometimes, and frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.