Genres, Writer's Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any hard and fast rules for mainstream short stories? Does anyone have a link to some sort of explanation?

I have hell trying to classify my own stories, which some people call horror, and some call mainstream. The spec fic markets reject them saying it's too tame, and the mainstream/lit markets suggest sending them to genre markets. It's enough to drive me mad.

Also...does anyone have a sub to Writer's Market online? If so, is it more useful than the book? Are the markets searchable?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, BlueTexas!

Well, "mainstream" isn't really a definition of genre so much as a definition of market. There are only two types of market for the purpose of popular fiction: mainstream and niche. Mainstream fiction includes genre and literary and is marketed to the general populace. Niche fiction is generally sold to small groups of people with specialized tastes. For example, a novel based on a limited run video game is probably targeted to the niche market of the players of that game.

I think what you mean is that you're trying to decide whether your book is Horror or some other category. That sort of depends on the nature of the book. Here are some definitions that might help you decide:

Horror: The plot must contain earthly or otherworldly threats to the hero or heroine (H/h) that end in death or torture of third parties and continual threat of death to the H/h. The goal is to frighten the reader and often this means non-redeeming madness or death. Horror need not have a "Happily Ever After" (HEA). In other words, in horror, the H/h may die and the bad guys win. An example of this would be Stephen King's The Shining. Several key characters don't make it out alive.

Thriller: The plot may be intellectual or physical in nature, but the threat of world domination, world destruction or some other major catrostophe that involves people beyond the H/h or their friends/family must be a primary plot device. An example of this would be Enemy of the State. Normally, in a thriller, the primary characters live through the experience and correct the threat.

Suspense: Suspense differs from thrillers in the level of action. Suspense novels generally have less action involved, even though there is still a risk of harm to the H/h. Rear Window is a classic suspense.

Your book might also be categorized as fantasy or science fiction, depending on the elements.

Does that help?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
BlueTexas said:
Also...does anyone have a sub to Writer's Market online? If so, is it more useful than the book? Are the markets searchable?

I do, and yes, I find it more useful than the book. It's updated frequently and the database is searchable (though I find the search function a trifle unwieldily - but then again, I'm a computer dweeb). Its biggest plus for me, besides the updating, is the ability to create folders for the various markets. I have dozens of markets under various folders such as "essays, humour, parenting" etc. I add new markets to the appropriate folder as they appear.

However, if you've never owned the book, and are new(ish) to submitting, I recommend you pick up a copy. The intro has lots of valuable information on the how-tos of submitting.

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
I do, and yes, I find it more useful than the book. It's updated frequently and the database is searchable (though I find the search function a trifle unwieldily - but then again, I'm a computer dweeb). Its biggest plus for me, besides the updating, is the ability to create folders for the various markets. I have dozens of markets under various folders such as "essays, humour, parenting" etc. I add new markets to the appropriate folder as they appear.

However, if you've never owned the book, and are new(ish) to submitting, I recommend you pick up a copy. The intro has lots of valuable information on the how-tos of submitting.

I have the book. Your mention of folders sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks!

BlueTexas

Registered
Reaction score
Those are pretty much the definitions I've been going by. I wonder if it doesn't apply the same to short fiction, which is what I'm asking about.

Thanks.
Cathy C said:
Hi, BlueTexas!

Well, "mainstream" isn't really a definition of genre so much as a definition of market. There are only two types of market for the purpose of popular fiction: mainstream and niche. Mainstream fiction includes genre and literary and is marketed to the general populace. Niche fiction is generally sold to small groups of people with specialized tastes. For example, a novel based on a limited run video game is probably targeted to the niche market of the players of that game.

I think what you mean is that you're trying to decide whether your book is Horror or some other category. That sort of depends on the nature of the book. Here are some definitions that might help you decide:

Horror: The plot must contain earthly or otherworldly threats to the hero or heroine (H/h) that end in death or torture of third parties and continual threat of death to the H/h. The goal is to frighten the reader and often this means non-redeeming madness or death. Horror need not have a "Happily Ever After" (HEA). In other words, in horror, the H/h may die and the bad guys win. An example of this would be Stephen King's The Shining. Several key characters don't make it out alive.

Thriller: The plot may be intellectual or physical in nature, but the threat of world domination, world destruction or some other major catrostophe that involves people beyond the H/h or their friends/family must be a primary plot device. An example of this would be Enemy of the State. Normally, in a thriller, the primary characters live through the experience and correct the threat.

Suspense: Suspense differs from thrillers in the level of action. Suspense novels generally have less action involved, even though there is still a risk of harm to the H/h. Rear Window is a classic suspense.

Your book might also be categorized as fantasy or science fiction, depending on the elements.

Does that help?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
You're welcome.

One other plus regarding those folders. When a market is updated in the main WM database it will also be automatically updated in your folder (if you've put it there in the first place of course).

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Those are pretty much the definitions I've been going by. I wonder if it doesn't apply the same to short fiction, which is what I'm asking about.

They apply, but the trick with writing short horror is that it's difficult to get the necessary build up in a short plot arc. What you might do is pick up a couple of well known print horror mags (like Weird Tales) and see if there's a specific style that they use that might be lacking in yours. For example, does it start with the horrible thing and gets worse? Does it start normally, build creepy edges and then end with a bang? Or does it keep the tension going throughout and build so quickly that you can't imagine how it might end (a real page turner?) A publication's signature "style" can be felt throughout the stories, even though they're very different.

Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.