• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta needed for post-apocalyptic/urban fantasy novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brassfarthing.blogspot.com
What I have is 77,000 words of an urban fantasy set in our world after a near Extinction Level Event. Philippa is a telepath who accepts but does not advertise her gift. She wants nothing more than to be left alone, but that's not possible when townfolk begin to disappear, her grandmother included, with no signs of struggle, and she herself begins to have unsettling dreams of being summoned.
Who is calling the telepaths, and why? Are they still alive? That is what Flip sets out to discover.
The book is complete as it stands, and I have done several major overhauls of it, editing for content, grammar, spelling, etc. I do have a few more scenes that I want to insert, but I'd still love feedback on what I have.

What I need is someone who is willing to give me real data on what needs work, what doesn't scan, plot holes, etc., but in an encouraging way. (I am a delicate flower and I wilt under harsh criticism. :tongue ) I would also very much like to know what DOES work, imagery you liked, particular scenes that creeped you out (in a mesmerizing, rabbit watching a snake sort of way), and opinions on the characters, both primary and secondary.

I'd like to start with just one or two betas right now, since I cannot get to a computer with internet access often, and I can't keep up with feedback from a bunch of people. (Which sounds like I expect you all to be pounding at my door begging to read my breakout hit, but my ego's not that distended, I promise.)

If you are interested, you can reply here or PM me, and I will respond as quickly as I can. Thanks for your time!

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Did you get the crit of your first chapter that I sent you? If you did, and you feel that I was being too harsh in some way, could you please let me know the specific comments that you felt were too overly-critical? I would really appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.