Question for when you're querying two projects

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Hi guys

Okay, here's the question. I've gone through two close calls for my YA Urban Fantasy, The Guardians. I still have several fulls and partials out. In June, I completed a YA Contemporary called Don't Hate the Player, which I've had success querying...agent excitedly requested the full and has taken notes on the partial.

So, what happens if an agent wants to rep one, but they initially rejected the other project and vice versa...

Any words or wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated! LOL

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you get representation, regardless of the ms accepted, immediately contact the other agents who have your other ms and let them know you've accepted representation. It shouldn't matter if they've accepted one when they've passed on the other; scoring an agent is scoring an agent. Later, if your agent sells one of your mss, let them know about the other, even if you've submitted it to them before, and ask them if they represent the genre and if they can give you any notes on it.

Danthia

Ditto. They're representing you, not just the work. My agent rejected me twice before she signed me. Just treat it same as if you had one book out. Your goal is to find an agent that's a good fit for you. Even if you get offers for both books, that just gives you more options. And then you'd have two ms. to submit later :)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Yep, land that agent on either book, regardless if they rejected another one. There's always hope that even if the agent rejected the 1st book he/she will want to take a look at it again; or an acquiring editor may be interested in knowing what else you've written. Then you have another book to whip out.

I'm in the same boat. Although I'm no longer querying my YA fantasy, I'm querying many of the same agents on a YA UF who rejected the fantasy.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Ditto. They're representing you, not just the work. My agent rejected me twice before she signed me. Just treat it same as if you had one book out. Your goal is to find an agent that's a good fit for you. Even if you get offers for both books, that just gives you more options. And then you'd have two ms. to submit later :)

Hi Danthia/Janice,

I just had to say thanks for the advice, but more importantly, thanks for all the great query advice. I don't know if you remember helping me on this one, but you were great to take the time to give individual help. I so appreciate it, and it's been a fabulous query that's given me the millage this far---especially through the five rewrites of the opening! LOl

Congrats on your book coming out! I can't wait to read it, and I will certainly pimp you to all my students!