Pockets Magazine - Writing Op

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
A discussion with an editor for Pockets Magazine led me to ask her this question. "What is the one article you never get enough of?"

Her answer was quick and straight forward. "We never get enough stories about children who are active in a ministry."

Further discussion led me to understand that they (of course) were not looking for atypical stories (i.e. children who brought a meal to or shoveled snow for an elderly neighbor at the prompting of their parents).

She said that this would be a good "in" for writers wanting to break into this well paying publication.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Pockets, it is a Christian magazine similar to Highlights for Children.

Writers' Guidelines: http://www.upperroom.org/pockets/writer_guidelines.asp

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! This is a publication I plan to break into this year. I am working up one story (it's in pretty decent shape) but this would give me another great opportunity. (My hubby's a pastor, so I think I can dream something up for this.)

One question: Are you talking fiction or non-fiction?

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Response to your question

Inspired said:
One question: Are you talking fiction or non-fiction?
These must be NONfiction, written in first person and you must follow their guidelines to the letter.

The parents of the child you interview or use as your main character must sign a release for the story and the child gets a portion of the payment. The good news is that if you talke decent photos of the child activelly involved in the ministry they will pay you for the photos as well.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
It'd be easier to do fiction.

Hmmm. I'll have to keep my eyes open!

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Fiction for Pockets

Pockets DOES take fiction stories. The specific segment of the magazine that the editor and I were talking about just happened to be a nonfiction section. Do check out their writers guidelines. You'll see the sort of fiction that they accept. If you have a good story it wouldn't hurt to query them.

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to enter the fiction contest this next month, after I polish my piece up a bit.

I do want to do more non-fiction, though. Just hadn't thought of writing it for Pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.