Cold Soups

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of gazpacho...

I practically live on cold soups during the summer and would like to add to my recipe collection.

My gazpacho is very flexible. I chop a red onion, a large green pepper and a large peeled garden cucumber, several cloves of fresh garlic and toss in the blender. Then I add a good splash of red wine vinegar and a couple splashes of olive oil, juice of a lemon, a dash of Worcestershire and blend very well. The mix will not be completely smooth, but that's okay, fiber is good for you.

At this point I can freeze batches of the base for later.

Pour the base in a pitcher and add an equal amount of tomato juice or V-8. Salt, pepper and hot sauce or garlic chile paste to taste.
Chill well before serving.

I don't bother with the condiments for myself (they're all in the mix anyway) but for company I'd chop some red onion, cucumber, radishes and tomatoes for garnish and serve along with croutons.

You can add ingredients to suit your taste. I've made this with roasted red peppers, fresh parsley or coriander, green chiles or fresh jalapenos, radishes or daikon, prepared horseradish, lettuce that's just a little bit too wilted for salad and so on. Just about anything from the garden works, and I can't think of any way to ruin it.

Will you share your favorite cold soup recipes with me?

Thanks!

Last edited: