Agent Question

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on submission to Mundania Press right now (should hear by end of this week!), but I REALLY want an agent as well. If I'm offered a contract and accept it, does that hurt my chances of getting an agent? And, :) , how do I put that in my query if the book has already been sold to a small press?

*blushes* I really hope that was coherant LOL!

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
If you get offered a contract and you want an agent, DON'T sign it (or verbally accept it--tell them you're going to try to get an agent to negotiate for you)... A contract in hand waiting to be signed is a great way to entice an agent. But remember you still want an agent who believes in you and your work and will be there with you for the long haul. Try to find someone compatible.

Call your number 1 agent pick, tell her/him the situation, see if they want to look at your MS and possibly offer representation.

If the phone is your last resort, you could try an e-mail first with a subject like "Contract in negotiation - seeking representation". Personally I'd try calling first, as e-mails are too easily left unopened for days, and you'll want an answer as soon as possible, right? If you have more than one agent you're interested in working with, may as well call them all and see who you like best after the wooing.

Good luck!

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I believe an offer from Mundania would not be of interest to an agent.

onipar

Horror Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anthonyjrapino.com
Another possibility is, if you were going to go with Mundania no matter what, just do it without an agent, and get your book published. Then, once you have a new book written, when you query agents you can mention that you have had a book published.

Unless there's something about this press I don't know, as the previous poster mentioned agents not being interested in it? Are agents just generally not interested in small press publishing credits?

Sorry, I'm also looking for an agent, so I'm not completely in the know.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There is an extensive thread on this forum about Mundania here http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542

The short answer is that they don't pay advances, don't have a distributor, have a 'take it or leave it' contract, and the author has to do all the the promotion. Not something an agent would want to tangle with for 15% of the earnings.

May I ask the OP why you have chosen Mundania?

Last edited:

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see that thread, either, so thanks Waylander.

I read a few books by them and liked what I saw and read, so I gave them a try. The editor got back to me on Monday and said 'no', but gave me some notes as to why I wasn't excepted. But I really wasn't too disappointed because of some things that occurred in the short time frame between this post and the first.

Thanks for all the replies :)

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There's no need for an agent with Mundania. Their contract is so straightforward and easy to understand, anyone who can write and sell a book can understand it.