really stupid memoir question

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Do I need to have the whole thing written before I query it?

I queried a non-fiction book based on my life situation. I got a very nice personal rejection from an agent based on the her thinking that I didn't have enough expertise for subject. This is probably due to how I wrote the query, I've fixed it since. But no matter to that. She did express some interest in a memoir of my experiences.

I'm thinking she liked some personal stuff in the pages I sent.

I have done everything I can to avoid a memoir. My portion of the market is lousy with them, mostly terrible. The thing is, I have enough material for one, and could probably pull one together very quickly.

So, do I send her a query now, when I might have her ear, or pull the thing together, then do it?

Help me out here.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do I need to have the whole thing written before I query it?

I queried a non-fiction book based on my life situation. I got a very nice personal rejection from an agent based on the her thinking that I didn't have enough expertise for subject. This is probably due to how I wrote the query, I've fixed it since. But no matter to that. She did express some interest in a memoir of my experiences.

I'm thinking she liked some personal stuff in the pages I sent.

I have done everything I can to avoid a memoir. My portion of the market is lousy with them, mostly terrible. The thing is, I have enough material for one, and could probably pull one together very quickly.

So, do I send her a query now, when I might have her ear, or pull the thing together, then do it?

Help me out here.

Generally, memoirs are queried like novels, meaning you don't query until it is written and polished. And, an agent can't really agree to take it on until it's written. So, I wouls say write it, then query her with it.

But if she expressed interest, you could follow up and tell her that her rejection has you considering turning the material into a memoir and what the process would be to submit that?

My guess is that she will say write it, then send a query. But who knows? Maybe she will say send early chapters or a proposal.

So, for her, ask, if you want, before writing...but for all others, write it, polish it, get beta reads and critiques...then query.

~suki

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My 2center. Finish and then query ... unless it is a How To etc... book. An agent will more than likely ask for chapters and your proposal.