Finished Twilight: I am curious did Meyers get a lot of editorial help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally broke down and bought Twilight two nights ago. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it because I am 38 and the characters are teens. What would I have in common with teens? Been there done that, right?

However, after casually flipping through the pages, thinking I would put it on my to read pile, I kept reading and finished the book the next day! Let me tell you, I have never done that before.

I am curious now; how does a new writer create a book that is so captivating? I felt like I was there it was so real. Did she really do that all on her own or did the editors give her some help? I am wondering how involved editors get when its a new writer?

What blows my mind is the only time I was pulled out of the book was when someone spoke to me or I couldn't hold my bladder any longer.

I have read all kinds of crazy comments about how bad the Twilight books were, but IMO I was completely captivated or you could even say intoxicated, (Ok, so I'm in love with Edward, shut up!) I think she did a phenomenal job since it had that effect on me. Isn't that what a book is suppose to do?

I am amazed a new writer can juggle so much and it turn out so perfect. Now, I am a little intimidated to write! Please, tell me she had help!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. It took me two weeks to get through Twilight alone, it just couldn't hold me. And I live for long books, but this one for me was like pulling teeth. I couldn't sit through more than a chapter or two before I had to stop.

No one's entirely sure why these books are so popular, whether she had help or not. There is no magic formula for writing a captivating book, because even good books are subject to opinion. From what I've read of others' experiences in publishing editors work with you quite a bit. Just to warn you though, there's a lot of folks here that wonder how an editor could have let it pass as is ;)

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot I want to say in response to this post, but I think it's best if I keep it to myself. I will say that you shouldn't feel too intimidated to write, however. (And especially not my Twilight...)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a growing following for my books. People tell me they couldn't put it down etc. I didn't get editorial help but I rewrote it heaps and read it out loud so I knew it had an easy flow to it. I read it through to make sure each character kept 'in character' and in language (lords speak differently to MC and knights who speak different to peasants). I read it through to make sure every word was as powerful, sarcastic or pitiful as needed.

So you don't have to be a much published author or someone with a degree in creative writing. You just have to love writing and want to share your story with others.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The X-factor is a cliche but it's very real. Some artists/writers have it; but it won't work for everyone. For instance, Joanne Rowling has it but the Harry Potter books just don't work for me -- not at all. But JR definitely has it.

Meyer has it too. I have not read Twilight but the very fact that she has such a following, and that you experinced it so strongly, is proof that she has it. No editor can create that. It comes from the author. It's a kind of magic.

But I repeat: it doesn't work for everyone. Some people hate Twilight and say it is badly written. But the X-factor has nothing to do with actual technique.
I want it!

Last edited:

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think there are some readers (lots, apparently) who really get pulled into immersive, highly descriptive prose, the sort that lingers on textures and colors, sounds and movement.

I've heard people call it cinematic prose, because it's filled with these kinds of detail. Some of the standard guidelines for adverbs, colorful dialogue tags and description seem to fall apart when looking at recent bestsellers.
Consider the Wheel of Time, the Vampire Chronicles, Harry Potter, the Da Vinci Code, Twilight, even the Dresden Files. All are more descriptive and decorative than is usually advised by agents, authors and editors.

I'm can't help but wonder if the reading masses have changed over the years. They seem to want more visuals, more emoting, more "stage direction" and scene-setting. We're a film-going culture, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not saying that MaLanie was getting that from Twilight specifically, but it does seem to be the one constant element people attribute to Meyer's writing, criticisms aside.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think there are some readers (lots, apparently) who really get pulled into immersive, highly descriptive prose, the sort that lingers on textures and colors, sounds and movement.

I've heard people call it cinematic prose, because it's filled with these kinds of detail. Some of the standard guidelines for adverbs, colorful dialogue tags and description seem to fall apart when looking at recent bestsellers.
Consider the Wheel of Time, the Vampire Chronicles, Harry Potter, the Da Vinci Code, Twilight, even the Dresden Files. All are more descriptive and decorative than is usually advised by agents, authors and editors.

I'm can't help but wonder if the reading masses have changed over the years. They seem to want more visuals, more emoting, more "stage direction" and scene-setting. We're a film-going culture, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not saying that MaLanie was getting that from Twilight specifically, but it does seem to be the one constant element people attribute to Meyer's writing, criticisms aside.

Just my two cents.

This also definitely isn't a new thing. Tons of sensory details go back to Romanticism, it was very popular back then. I think "you should be scant on details, and make everything very active and curt" was a kind of backlash against that verbosity, a popular literary trend that people took to be a rule when really it was always going to be transient.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Twilight was weird. I didn't really like it, but it did hold me in some kind of trance. Large sections (okay, the whole Bella/Jacob thing) gave me a stomachache, but I could not put it down. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

I don't know how she did it because the characters didn't feel all that compelling to me. Maybe it was the descriptive prose. Maybe it's because I had my honeymoon in Forks (of all places ha ha). I did like reading about a place that is so near and dear to me. I loved the descriptions of being in the forest, it was spot on. The emotions evoked by that facet of her writing was stronger than the characters for me, but I doubt that is why it was a best seller because Forks was an unknown backwater dying township when the books were published. Maybe I had some morbid desire to watch the train wreck unfold. It's still a mystery to me.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It was nothing you can put a finger on. It's the X-factor, a magic in her. A kind of blessing.
And I say that as soeone who hasn't read her and never will. The very idea of vampires -- ugn, no thanks. At first they made me laugh, till I realised people took them seriously!

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This is no way to measure anything, but I've read and watched her interviews and came away with the impression that yeah, she could have done it herself.

Finding out the truth, how would you do that? I've no idea. Her website doesn't have an "Ask me a question!" type portal for fans or the morbidly curious.

The thing about Twilight is that the reading experience has been totally spoiled for those who haven't opened the book yet. Everyone knows what it's about. Everyone knows the popular opinion (on writers' boards, anyway...) about the writing style. Anyone picking up a copy now is bound to be soured before they begin. And that's a great pity. This was not the worst book I've ever read, not by a long shot.

-Derek

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'll say it again, one can be a wonderful storyteller without being a good writer.
I'll settle for this if all else fails.

I've always been a great storyteller. I have a ton of rejection letters that loved the story....

I have to order Twilight, next time I'm at the library and get an opinion of this book myself.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I dunno, I think it's pretty straightforward. As you yourself admitted you are in love with Edward. If you fall in love with Edward the book becomes a page turner, if you think he is repulsive, it does not.

I know it sounds simple, and there are other factors, but the real intense must get to the end of this novel aspect to me always seems to tie directly into the feelings the reader has for Edward. I hate the guy. I barely made it through the book and found it painful to get through (doing it only because I was researching what was popular in YA). The fantasy factor, the fact that Bella has no personality and thus the reader can make herself Bella. The fact that he is the most beautiful man ever and has never loved anyone like this despite being over a century old, all that put together makes for a page turner for some, laughable for others.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I finally read it too (and wrote a blog post about it). I had mixed feelings, but overall, I can see why it was successful.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
My wife loves vampire trash. She picked up twilight on the recommendation of a friend and stopped reading after like 4 or 5 chapters.

She couldn't stand it.

I love my wife.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I love my wife.

I love your wife, too.

Without flogging a dead horse (how many times has this book been discussed on this forum?), I will agree Meyer has a way of pulling you in. I don't know how, but she does. But once you stand back and look at the book for what it is, you're left thinking: "WTF and can get my sanity back, please?" Hardly ideal for any writer.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
I am wondering how involved editors get when its a new writer?

Every experience is unique, but I can say for myself that my editor is very involved.

I am amazed a new writer can juggle so much and it turn out so perfect. Now, I am a little intimidated to write! Please, tell me she had help!

Good editing is a wonderful thing. It's much more than correcting mistakes, as some people imagine. A good edit pushes here and there to shape the whole, and identifies opportunities the writer may have blipped over. Editing is an art.

That said, an editor can't produce the effect you're talking about. A good editor can help mold the setting so the jewel is highlighted to its best effect, but the author has to bring the jewel to begin with.

In Twilight's case, that jewel is Edward, and he's the author's doing, not the editor's. Like Toothpaste, I'm not a fan, but appreciate that Edward is the draw for those who do like Twilight.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the books, I would never read them again and I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to watch the movies.

She had a way of writing them so the pages turned easily and you were curious what happened next. She's a good storyteller. I wish her characters would have been more developed, but for being an fun read they fit the bill. It may have been all she was aiming at.

Don't be intimidated by a book you really enjoyed, be inspired by it.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I will agree Meyer has a way of pulling you in. I don't know how, but she does. But once you stand back and look at the book for what it is, you're left thinking: "WTF and can get my sanity back, please?" Hardly ideal for any writer.

YES! That!

I went back after I read all four in a weekend to try and dissect the writing style to see if I could learn anything, and threw the book at the wall. Technically, it was SO bad and a total what not to do. But it was a very easy read, and I think its what made it flow so well.

Last edited:

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
The masses, and young adults in particular, don't care so much about writing style...

Which is probably why its other writers who are WTF'ing about its success! LOL Its everything "they" tell us not to do, and yet there it is, a phenomenal success.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I felt like Meyer thought I (the reader) was an idiot. That I had to be told everything.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If this thread is going to go the same way as all the other Twilight threads, we might as well just close it now.

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.