This is for the birds...

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Humming Birds that is. :)

I need some help please. You know how I was hoping for a Humming Bird this year?

Not only did I get my wish but now they are coming out of the woodwork and I've run out of nectar mix for them.

Someone once told me that I can make my own Humming Bird nectar but I don't know how. Does anyone here know how to make some?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
One part sugar (you can use more sugar if you want) to four parts water. Boil the water, stir the sugar until it dissolves, let cool and then fill the feeders. Some people add red food coloring but I've never done that. The birds find the food just fine!

Glad you're getting those hummingbirds, Gehanna. I remember how much you were looking forward to them! :)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Just regular sugar and boiled water. How simple but knowing me, I'll find a way to screw it up somehow. If I make this and see a bunch of killed over little humming birds on the ground tomorrow I'll go into a state of shock and never recover. :scared:

Just thought I'd share that with ya lol

ps - thanks for the recipe.

Gehanna

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Eeeeeek!!! Hehe, I don't think that will happen but be sure to let me know if it does so I can come help you bury the bodies. lol.

This recipe has worked for me for years (because I'm too scatterbrained to remember to buy nectar mix) and nobody has kicked the bucket yet. So good luck. :D

(And you're very welcome! :) )

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: I have to tell this! lol

I made some humming bird nectar earlier today and left it sitting on the stove top to cool off. I forgot about it for a while and when I went into the kitchen just a few moments ago to check, I found some hot dogs floating in it! LMAO!! I hope my husband didn't think that's what I was boiling the water for! hahaha If he did then he boiled his wieners in sugar water! OMG, the thought is making me laugh so hard I'm almost crying. He is gone to the store right now so I can't ask but I'll find out as soon as he gets home. This might explain why there are still 3 left!! hahaha

I don't know what it is about my husband and humming bird nectar. Once, when we went to my mother's house for a visit, my husband went in the kitchen to fix something to drink. A few moments later I heard him call out my mother's name and say, "This is the worst koolaid I've ever tasted!"

The funniest look came over my mother's face. I thought she was offended until she busted out laughing at him and said, "That's not koolaid, that's humming bird nectar."

I lost it...I started laughing so hard I could barely breathe. My husband and my Father are always doing something funny and the reason they are so comical is because they don't mean to be that way.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
He's back from the store now. He said he dumped the water out and put fresh water in. Yeah ok....3 wieners say otherwise but who am I to listen to a bunch of wieners.

Sincerely,
Gehanna