PDA

View Full Version : Formatting manuscript

Ace!
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
I read through the FAQs and want to make sure I have it correct. I have it like this:

Title
Author Name

CHAPTER 1

Text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text, text text, text.

Is that how it should be formatted? Is it appropriate to have title and author name in the header and page number in the footer? Is there other information that is relevant that should be in a header or footer? Also, I have it in Courier New font. Is that the best way to do it? Oh, and the body of the manuscript is double spaced (not so with the above example). Thanks.

stormie
08-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm having trouble showing this first page. The title and byline is centered, 1/3 down the page.
Word count on upper right. Dark Courier font is good, Times New Roman better. Both are acceptable. (The title and byline should be centered. I can't get that to look right.)

Real Name
Address
Phone
Email............................................. .................................................. .............................approx.# wds.

.....;;;;;;;;;;;;;; TITLE

......... ;;;;;;;;;;;;;; by

:;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Name (or pseudonym)

(Indent) then double space between each sentence. Page numbers go on

top right side (header) such as: name/title/ p.# of each subsequent page.

Go here for a manuscript formatted. http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The Mindful Writer
08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
According to this summary (http://wordpavillion.blogspot.com/2009/05/12-steps-to-get-your-picture-book.html) (read item #11), you should also include email address in the top right header. Is that correct? Or is that only true for picture books?

bonitakale
08-23-2009, 05:10 PM
According to this summary (http://wordpavillion.blogspot.com/2009/05/12-steps-to-get-your-picture-book.html) (read item #11), you should also include email address in the top right header. Is that correct? Or is that only true for picture books?

I think you should put in any means of contact you have. If you're doing a novel, you'll have a separate title page, and can put everything in a lower corner or two. If not, sure -- heck, put your carrier pigeon address in there, as well!

You may be rejected for sending your ms. on scented pink paper, but you won't be rejected for having the header on the right or left, or for putting in your e-mail address. Only really academic magazines are that stupid.

My opinion, of course.

stormie
08-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Include your address, phone number, and email address. If you follow William Shunn's format (http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html), you'll be okay. I've been following it for over nine years now and no problems. I just prefer times new roman over dark courier. And 12 pt. font.

Kweei
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Bringing up an old thread...

When creating a header on the manuscript, I have heard two different formats. One is to use your real surname in the header and the other is to use your pen name in the header.

Which one do I use? I'm just talking about the header: name/title/#

Jersey Chick
05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
The way I've read to do it is this:

Pen Name (Real Name) - TITLE - PAGE NUMBER

Youthnorage
05-16-2010, 06:41 AM
How does one flush left in Microsoft word? And does that mean everything should be flushed including dialogue and new paragraphs? It's a little unclear for me.

shaldna
05-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I do it like Stormie

Dolohov
05-28-2010, 05:31 PM
A bit more thread necromancy... Above, William Shunn's advice is linked. All good stuff, except I've seen several places that directly contradict him on the question of having two spaces after punctuation. Has anyone been given advice from an editor one way or the other on this question?

stormie
05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
My ex-agent requested I take out all double spaces after punctuation from my ms. before he submitted. Said common practice now is single space.

Kweei
05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I've seen the shift to one space after a period. I think some places still accept either way, though.

stormie
05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I forget the reasoning years ago for the double spacing after a period. It stems from the days of typewriters, I believe. We discussed this on AW awhile back, but do you think I can remember?!

L.A. Tripp
05-29-2010, 07:02 PM
I was also a bit surprised when I learned that the way I was taught as a child (2 spaces after a period) was not proper now, lol. 3 decades of a habit to undo . . .

Julie Worth
05-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I was also a bit surprised when I learned that the way I was taught as a child (2 spaces after a period) was not proper now, lol. 3 decades of a habit to undo . . .

Don't worry about it. This isn't going to get you rejected, and in any case, it's easy to eliminate. When you're ready to submit, use "find and replace" to replace all instances of two spaces with one. Takes about ten seconds.

L.A. Tripp
05-29-2010, 07:25 PM
LOL, yeah, thanks Julie. I appreciate your post. When I did correct a MS like that, I agonized over going through every single sentence for probably a week without actually touching the MS. Then someone suggested that very thing, find and replace . . . needless to say I wasn't a Word expert, lol. But yeah, in a few seconds, I saw the difference and was like "wow, this is cool . . . what else can I find and replace?!" LOL.

Julie Worth
05-29-2010, 08:15 PM
LOL, yeah, thanks Julie. I appreciate your post. When I did correct a MS like that, I agonized over going through every single sentence for probably a week without actually touching the MS. Then someone suggested that very thing, find and replace . . . needless to say I wasn't a Word expert, lol. But yeah, in a few seconds, I saw the difference and was like "wow, this is cool . . . what else can I find and replace?!" LOL.

Stuff like double paragraph breaks, spaces before paragraph breaks, spaces before and after tabs. It's also possible (but more complicated) to find missing quote marks. See here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=542162#post542162).

Medievalist
05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Stuff like double paragraph breaks, spaces before paragraph breaks, spaces before and after tabs. It's also possible (but more complicated) to find missing quote marks. See here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=542162#post542162).

Better still, don't use tabs unless you're using tabular data. Don't use them for paragraph indents; use the Ruler or Paragraph settings dialog.

Julie Worth
05-29-2010, 08:31 PM

You can set normal style to indent the first line automatically, but then you have to force centered lines not to indent, or to put them in a different style. It's about the same amount of work.