Writing dialogue before scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I wrote a dialogue between my two MCs that was pestering me to get written. But only the dialogue, as in a script. I plan on writing the scene around that dialogue. Has any of you written like that?

john barnes on toast

Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly the same, but I often write the dialogue for a scene with only the most basic tags (he said, she said) and then come back to break up the dialogue with with more interesting exposition, once it's all laid down.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I wrote a dialogue between my two MCs that was pestering me to get written. But only the dialogue, as in a script. I plan on writing the scene around that dialogue. Has any of you written like that?

I do that most of the time. I usually write all the dialogue for a chapter (or scene) and then go through and add in the other details. And then move onto the next chapter...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The majority of my first drafts end up reading like scripts, actually, with mostly dialogue and basic actions. I have to go in later and fill in more details. I'm trying not to do this anymore and get a more complete first draft the first time around.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
i've been known to write several chapters just because I'm passionate about it and completely change it on revision.
So, why not.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've never done it, but it sounds good to me. Whatever you need to write, write it.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've done this before, often when in the outlining process.

nconner

Registered
Reaction score
I start most of my scenes that way. Once I can hear what the characters are saying, I can start to experience the entire scene more fully.

Nancy Holzner

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
If you mean have I ever fleshed out dialog with staging (or, I don't know, I call it anchoring), yes. Not consciously; I attempt to stage/anchor properly the first time around, but realizing it needs fleshing out is all just part of the editing process.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I have not done that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you are flexible. If the characters' actions or nonverbal modes of communications necessitate a change in the dialog, you have to be willing to change or let go of some of those precious words.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I always have to go back and add stuff to dialogue, but I've only written a straight dialogue, no or minimal staging, once. It involved some random lady who was talking to her friend's eight-year-old daughter about Santa Claus. The kid thought he was a pedophile. Alas, adding staging kind of ruined the scene... dunno how that worked. Just did.

To answer the actual question, yes, I have, but very, very rarely.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes that's the part I know about the heart of a scene. It does help me visualize the rest if it comes to me this way.

My dialogue can tend to suck if it doesn't come to me this way!

I agree that you need to still cut a lot of it sometimes. But it can be powerfully helpful to figuring out what to do in a scene/with the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.