A Book Party/Renewal of Vows? Is that acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lola

Registered
Reaction score
I was bloody floored when I was told the book party/promotion I'm trying to put together for a friend is now also a vow renewal party. They're going to renew their vows at their chruch with a couple of close friends and then off to the Book Party, now slash reception.

I've already spoke tothe place I'm considering holding thie book party and I can get the place for 3 hours. There would be horderves being passed around for two hours and an hour of pastries. No hard liquor, Wine for one hour, sada and coffee throughout the 3 hours. I found a bakery who will make the cake in the image of the front cover, I've put orders in for bookmarks, pens, business cards, candy, tea bags ...all with the name of the book and small gift bags also w/the image from the cover.

The guest lits consists of the Mayor, some council members, private book store owners and their staff, some small businesses in our town like hair salons, boutiques. All places that would possible purchase a book or two for their establishment...

I feel this new idea of renewing their vows will either take away from the book party. Her SIL who hasn't spent a penny for this feels it's a great lead to the romance novel. I just don't know. Please can you guys give me your opinion on this. The author gave me half the money for the party and the other monies came from others who believed in her work.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it's done well it could work. Definately an interesting concept and memorable.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Thats the macro response, "It could work, if its well done."

Can we put that in a sticky somewhere?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little vague on details, so there's a bunch of questions that come to my mind:

What relationship is the couple to the author?

What is the author's feelings about this?

Does she feel her arm is being twisted and wants you to help her refuse them?

How many of the book party invitees are also guests at this renewal ceremony?

What does the couple expect you/the book party to provide to celebrate their ceremony?

What does the couple offer to compensate the author and you for crashing the book party?

Personally, I think it's highly crass, especially if the renewal ceremony was planned AFTER finding out about the book party.

The final call, really, is the author's in my book.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
From a PR perspective, a book party isn't big news. When lesser-known authors want to do something to promote their books, usually you have to do it with a bigger angle than just "here's my new book." I've used this example on AW before, but a couple of romance authors got together on Valentine's Day in the NYC for a book signing. They pitched it to the press as an "alternative Valentine's Day event for single women" and got cupcakes, champagne, etc. in the bookstore. The press picked it up as part of their Valentine's Day coverage. Without that specialized angle, their signings would have been lost in the shuffle of all the other events going on.

If this vow renewal party is open to the public (or at least has a pretty large guest list outside of family, like it seems to have) this could actually be a really good idea to generate some publicity. However, I would caution that since it's not all family and friends attending they really tone down a lot of the vow celebration in favor of getting the book out there. If there are any speeches, for example, make sure the vows AND the book get a mention. The promotional items are right on, as well as getting the cake to look like the book cover. Make sure the money you received in donations from friends goes ONLY to the costs of the "book party." Use your friend's money for the book party and the vow expenses.

I wouldn't be recommending this, however, if the book was not a romance.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If I was invited to a book party and wasn't told till later, I probably wouldn't show up. I think the mayor and council members might do the same.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
From a PR perspective, a book party isn't big news. When lesser-known authors want to do something to promote their books, usually you have to do it with a bigger angle than just "here's my new book." I've used this example on AW before, but a couple of romance authors got together on Valentine's Day in the NYC for a book signing. They pitched it to the press as an "alternative Valentine's Day event for single women" and got cupcakes, champagne, etc. in the bookstore. The press picked it up as part of their Valentine's Day coverage. Without that specialized angle, their signings would have been lost in the shuffle of all the other events going on.

If this vow renewal party is open to the public (or at least has a pretty large guest list outside of family, like it seems to have) this could actually be a really good idea to generate some publicity. However, I would caution that since it's not all family and friends attending they really tone down a lot of the vow celebration in favor of getting the book out there. If there are any speeches, for example, make sure the vows AND the book get a mention. The promotional items are right on, as well as getting the cake to look like the book cover. Make sure the money you received in donations from friends goes ONLY to the costs of the "book party." Use your friend's money for the book party and the vow expenses.

I wouldn't be recommending this, however, if the book was not a romance.

What a cheap shitty way to "generate publicity".

If I was invited to a freaking vow renewal (which by the way sounds retardo-lame to me) and I got there and the "author" was shilling his book and telling people to grab one on the way out, (much less asking me to PAY), I'd set the place on fire.

Next, why not go stand out in front of publix and try to hand out copies for a "reduced price".

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha ha... this is probably where I got the phrase ;). Seriously though, I think it could work.

Thats the macro response, "It could work, if its well done."

Can we put that in a sticky somewhere?

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I think the mayor and council members might do the same.

autaux

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
What a cheap shitty way to "generate publicity".

If I was invited to a freaking vow renewal (which by the way sounds retardo-lame to me) and I got there and the "author" was shilling his book and telling people to grab one on the way out, (much less asking me to PAY), I'd set the place on fire.

Next, why not go stand out in front of publix and try to hand out copies for a "reduced price".

If it was a vow-renewal-turned book party I'd agree with you. But if it's first and foremost a book party (and it sounds like that was the original plan), then I don't see a problem with an extra angle. Guests coming and expecting a book party (and it should be "advertised" as a book party), however, should not feel overwhelmed/uncomfortable with the added personal stuff. Book party first, vow celebration second (or even third).

Also note that the book party and the vow renewal are not the same thing; it's a book party and a party post-renewals.

Last edited:

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
If it was a vow-renewal-turned book party I'd agree with you. But if it's first and foremost a book party (and it sounds like that was the original plan), then I don't see a problem with an extra angle. Guests coming and expecting a book party (and it should be "advertised" as a book party), however, should not feel overwhelmed comfortable with the added personal stuff. Book party first, vow celebration second (or even third).

Also note that the book party and the vow renewal are not the same thing; it's a book party and a party post-renewals.

I totally dig. If I was invited to the book party, that would be one thing.

If I got an invite to a vow renewal, and was someone with no interest in the book party, then got there, and found out that they were trying to drum up additional "interest" in the book by combining the parties, I'd be lit-pissed.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Acceptable? Sure. Weird? Definitely.

It sounds tacky to me. But my tolerance for such things is low.

lola

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the word is, the couple has the same names as the characters in love in the book. They weren't going to do the vow exchange at the book party but all that is now old news. The group and author who's paying for this shingdig said no. I was working on adding this to the venue and now I have to change things back.

Is there a place on line that gives tips on throwing a book party? I need to understand the difference between a party and a promotion. Right now the happy couple is unhappy and I'm back to dealing with the book and only the book. thank heavens. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.