Need dog market suggestions

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I recently moved a dog from Scotland to the US. I wias thinking of writing an article about all the things you need to know like legal box types, costs, where to find out the health requirements of each state etc. Do you think this sort of article would be of interest to a dog magazine?

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
There's certainly a market for this story, just make sure you come up with an angle that suits the particular readers of each magazine you query.

Check out this thread for markets (in Writing About Animals):

Resources/Markets/Guidelines

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
You could probably tailor it to a women's or family-type magazine as well.

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I recently moved a dog from Scotland to the US. I wias thinking of writing an article about all the things you need to know like legal box types, costs, where to find out the health requirements of each state etc. Do you think this sort of article would be of interest to a dog magazine?

You might include going to different countries and not just to the U.S. I know my sister took her dog to Singapore when they moved there and it was an unbelievably long "quaratine" period. I think months. It's been years since she has moved back to the U.S., so I can't remember actually how long.
Also a thing to include would be airline restrictions. Bringing them onboard or as "freight" the pros and cons. It can be very dangerous for your pet and there are many things dog owners and reputable breeders educate themselves on to help prevent injury or death.
I am a dog fanatic. I chose not to breed because I love dogs so much. We had our male, who's granddad was in the original "Sandlot" movie, flown to us from CA. We took lots of precautions like only shipping straight through, no stops. We picked him up after midnight for cooler conditions. We also could only fly him during cool months, etc. We also paid extra to get him to us once the plane landed expedited.
As for our female, she was from a very top line and we had to fly to PA, meet the breeder and bring her back in the airplane under my seat or the breeder would not let her go. Mia, was 24 pounds at exactly 8 weeks so she just fit. :) At two hundred pounds, we could never ship her that way again. Guido, our male was 44 pounds and is now 220ish.
Just thought I'd suggest some different ideas or info for you to include. Depending upon what breed of dog can change things also. Some states ban various breeds - which infuriates me. It's some owners who need to be banned!
You might go to some chat boards and learn from the pros there. I go to a Mastiff chat board that has very top line breeders, but some disreputable "flame" in there sometimes too.
Well, good luck to you!

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Thanks for those ideas. When I was researching it I realised what a complicated process it is and how quickly the regulations are changing. There are also things your don't legally have to do but which are important for the dog--like what you said about temperature and direct flights, airlines with good records, how to provide water so it won't spill etc. Knowing how hoard it was to get accurate info I want to try and pass it on. i want to limit it to moving to the US or interstate as that is where I am sure my own info is good--plenty of people will give advice but only some of them turn out to be right!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Parenting mags might be interested, too.

You can get some good info on the various types of travel carriers by calling the companies that manufacture them. They can also give you some tips on making sure your dog stays safe and comfortable while traveling, what kinds of carriers are safe for flying, etc. And veterinarians might be willing to talk to you about some of the health issues, such as the importance of obtaining health certificates so you can legally cross state and country borders with your pets.

Good luck with it! This is an important topic and one I think people would be interested in reading about.