3D HYPE not living up to it??

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I love 3D. I thought Coraline was amazing (if lacking on the coming at ya 3d effects) I think I remember Beowulf having some really cool 3d, but it seems that the movies coming out are hyping and not delivering. Even My Bloody Valentine hyped itself and I saw parts of it and walked out when the 3d simply wasn't. I have friends who said the same thing. I am old enough to remember the older style 3d and even though it was a pain to watch, I remember the 3d to be far more in your face.

I watched G Force in 3D and though it didn't suck it was NO WAY as good as this youtube video is hyping it. At no time did those things shown even come close to happening. I would have freaking loved it if they had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aafN3iDcZw&feature=channel

Anyone else have similar experiences? I am looking forward to X Games 3D coming out at the end of August and I hope it lives up to the hype.

I would like to discuss the differing kinds of 3D and dialogue about whether this "digital 3d" that is being thrown at the masses is inferior. I don't think it is the same as those shown in some Imax markets. I saw that sucky Jaws 3D decades ago and I remember that damned shark being right in my lap. I saw Parasite in 3D and the thing was IN MY FACE. Nothing like that happens now. Not with Ice Age 3d, not with Up 3D, not with anything. Granted, the depth of the 3d is waaaaay better. But I like the stuff that comes out too.

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
One film that did the 3D really well was "Bolt". I never noticed anything jumping out at me -- the 3D simply added a layer of realism.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I thought the 3D in UP was great -- it was NOT gimmicky; it just added texture and layers to the animation.

If you're looking for the old "things jump out at you" type of 3D, you will be disappointed. Disney is determined to make 3D integral to their future releases, much like surround sound. But they're not doing it for novelty anymore. So no sharks jumping out at you (although they did a few "right at ya" tricks for the Toy Story 3D promos and they were great).

Last edited:

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I missed Bolt at the movies. I have tried to see all the others. Monsters VS Aliens was another that didn't jump out.

I liked Up and it did have some depth. I knew going into that one that the 3D was intentionally being understated and held back at parts so that when they did use it that it would be important and powerful. And I respect that.

I am wondering if it is "possible" to do the kind of 3D where stuff comes out at you with the digital 3D. I don't really mind if it can't happen. I just hate the hype. I am very much looking forward to Alice and to A Christmas Carol. Regarding A Christmas Carol, so long as there is one sweeping fly-thru of the London streets I won't care if anything else is in 3D.

So I am wondering if it is possible to have something come out AT YOU, like the old days. I see them trying, I just don't really get it much. Although, Coraline and the needle scene (right after the movie starts) and Beowulf and his sword, and with the coins being thrown is the closest I have seen to what I remember being common in my youth.

Thanks for the replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trust me. If you were around for the 3D revival during the 80's, you DON'T want the "COMIN' AT YA!" scenes. This one, a spaghetti western, featured a scene of a mother putting her baby boy into a bathtub. Yeah. Camera at the bottom of the tub, pointing up...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Wait?! Where Bolt, Up and Coraline in 3D? Damn, ther rip us off here in Venezuela! The last 3-D film I can recall is The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Get ready for this one...

The last 3-D movie I saw?

Jaws 3. I was 12 and it gave me the worst headache ever.

I haven't been brave enough to try any of the new movies in 3-D. My eyes are 25 years older.

I might risk it for the third Toy Story... maybe...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't get into 3D. I think the last 3D movie I was impressed by was Captain EO (RIP), and that closed 15 years ago. Anybody else read this piece on why 3D is destined for failure http://www.slate.com/id/2215265/pagenum/all/ ? The short version is that the way it makes you eyes move is a way that eyes are not meant to move. So is the discomfort/fatigue of watching it really worth the 3D-ness? Personally, I watched a 3D Imax a while back about deep-sea creatures, and it was good, but afterwards I needed like fifteen minutes sitting on a bench outside the theater to wait for the room to stop spinning.

And yeah, what Ray said. They can't keep making stuff-flies-out-of-the-screen-ZOMG movies. That's been done to the point of extreme ridiculousness.

Deleted member 42

I don't see in 3d in real life--I have no depth perception at all (aren't you glad I don't drive?) so I wonder--how close to "real" are 3d films?

Do you have have a desire to duck, or flinch?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last 3-D movie I saw was "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone" in 1983.

The glasses wouldn't fit over my prescription ones, so I ended up with a massive headache from seeing the vast majority of the movie sans them. Totally turned me off 3-D as long as it requires me to wear special glasses (and my glasses are thicker than they were 26 years ago).

Of course, having things "leap off the screen" at me seems like a cheap gotcha technique. IMO, save those for the horror movies, where they'll probably be more appreciated by the entire audience.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm over the whole 3D thing. I would have seen Coraline in 3D because I heard it was pretty spectacular, but I didn't end up seeing it in theaters at all. As for the other moves .... I just want to see UP, I don't much care for any added layers. It's still the same story. And when the price of a ticket is already $12, I'm not going to throw down another $5 just to see it in 3D.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
My daughter and I went to see G-Force, and it was obvious that, though it's in 2-D and 3-D, it's meant to be seen in 3-D. It didn't look all flat and weird, like when a 3-D movie is shown as a 2-D, but some of the effects were definitely geared toward 3-D.

**wonders exactly how many times one can use 3-D and 2-D in a paragraph**

Phantom

Engaged to Shady :P
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the 3D in Coraline was amazing, but I remember seeing Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D and it wasn't very good. My friend says that Harry Potter is only in 3D for about the first twelve minutes :(

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Although 3D still isn't much more than a gimmick, it's came on a LOT since Jaws 3.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I saw the opening sequence of Beauty and The Beast at Comic Con in 3D, and it was very nice. The movie was already made as 2 1/2 D (with multiplane shots, etc.) so the 3D only adds depths and some of the scenes (such as the ones going through the town square) are impressive in 3D. But no, there's no spear coming at or objects thrown at us, but the depth perception does add to the viewing experience.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The picture still darkens too much when you put on the glasses, which themselves are a hassle for people with prescription glasses. RealD is an real improvement (and I noticed no ghosting or flicker, and no graininess, when watching Up), though it still doesn't look as good as something done with models and 3D printing systems like Coraline.

Why are 3D companies not publicizing more work with autostereoscopy (3D sans glasses) which must happen for 3D to be successful?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The picture still darkens too much when you put on the glasses, which themselves are a hassle for people with prescription glasses. RealD is an real improvement (and I noticed no ghosting or flicker, and no graininess, when watching Up), though it still doesn't look as good as something done with models and 3D printing systems like Coraline.

The new glasses are great improvement over the old ones. The picture will be darker -- it's just physics -- but not by much. I think 10-15% darker. And the new glasses now sit on top your regular glasses. What the theaters can do is to crank up the brightness of the projection to compensate; so at the end, the dimming wouldn't really be a problem.

The 3D (in Monsters vs. Aliens, Bolt, or UP) is already much better than that in Beowulf or Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix. I didn't see Half-Blood Prince in 3D so I can't say.

Why are 3D companies not publicizing more work with autostereoscopy (3D sans glasses) which must happen for 3D to be successful?

This would be the way to go for 3D to succeed in the home theater market.

Last edited:

BiggerBoat

Just Shovelin' Chum
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the bottom line on 3d for me....

Cost of a regular showing at Regal Cinemas: $10
Cost of the same movie in 3d: $13.50

Screw 3d. I can hardly bear to pay the $10 ticket.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen Creature From the Black Lagoon twice the way God and Jack Arnold intended, on a big screen and in 3-D. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

naimas

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I myself loved Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D and I remember those hands stabbing at my face.

I also noticed something recently. The 3D is muted if I wear my prescription glasses beneath them. I guess it has to do with bringing stuff into focus to see and maybe 3d is successful by changing the focus. Just my thoughts. I noticed that 3d was more IN MY FACE with just the 3D glasses at the movies than with my prescription glasses beneath them. (I need glasses to see far away) The movie was a little blurry but the 3D stood out more.