PDA

View Full Version : "Query" in the subject line

AnnieGrant
08-05-2009, 02:33 AM
O.K.

I might be crazy, just fair warning. When an agent says to put "Query" in the subject line, does that mean ONLY the word "Query?"

I had read to put the title, word count, and genre also in the subject, but now I'm afraid of the spam filters.

Help?

Cyia
08-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Don't put the extras in the subject line; it's too much and belongs in the query itself.

If an agent says write QUERY, then do it. More likely than not, the spam filters will chomp anything else.

Sage
08-05-2009, 03:12 AM
I always put "Query - [insert title here]"

vixey
08-05-2009, 04:19 AM
Me, too. Query: TITLE. In all caps.

Judg
08-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I put Query - [Title] by [Judg].

They have email filters to send it directly to a Query file, for the most part. Seriously, I don't think most of them are going to care much one way or the other if you add the title or not. I do, so my email will have a unique subject heading. Haven't heard any complaints. Not that I have a vast experience.

trocadero
08-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I put Query:surname.

shawkins
08-05-2009, 05:54 AM
"Query: X by Y" will get you into the right folder.

Bono
08-05-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm from the screenwriting world, and i never put query into the subject line. I got a manager, so it did work.

I worry that putting "query" into the subject line would do the opposite. It puts it in the delete folder. I assume most agents have so many people emailing them, that they want to avoid queries and this is an easy way to filter people out.

Or maybe some do it the way describe. But I'd rather show up in the general email than in a pile of 400 emails.

Sage
08-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I worry that putting "query" into the subject line would do the opposite. It puts it in the delete folder. I assume most agents have so many people emailing them, that they want to avoid queries and this is an easy way to filter people out.
Um, this is a pretty ridiculous assumption. If they don't read queries, they can't find the next best-seller. They need authors or else they don't get paid.

Jennifer_Laughran
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I ask for Query in the subject line - i don't care what ELSE you put in there, the title or your name or nothing else, whatever - but if you don't put "query" somewhere in there, your query will probably never get seen.

mario_c
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi all, what about [Title]([Genre]) or Query - [Title]([Genre])?

Generally I don't come across this - occasionally a producer / H'wood agent will have a website form, or an auto reply with a submission release. I've also been told to include a release form with query letters, do you find this to be true?

Judg
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Bono, maybe it's different in the screenwriting world. Many literary agents specifically ask for the word "Query" in the subject line. Jennifer is herself an agent, so I think we can trust her on this one. ;)

Maryn
08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
That's always a good policy, to trust the people who actually know what they're talking about. If only it were always as easy to distinguish who those people are as it is this time, eh?

Maryn, tipping her hat to Jennifer

seun
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I do SUBMISSION: TITLE. Suppose it amounts to the same thing.

Erin
08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I do: QUERY: TITLE

roger kryless
08-07-2009, 12:22 AM
I do SUBMISSION: TITLE. Suppose it amounts to the same thing.

For what it's worth --
i'd be careful with that. Many email filters are automatically set up to throw out anything without the word actual word "query" in the title.

for those wondering why this is..
it seems odd, right? But the reason is that when agents give their email address on a webpage, plenty of email-slurping-bots (The technical name :) are out there looking for email addresses to send advertisements and spam to. Once they find an address, the amount of spam they get will be immense - the addresses are sold for pennies. So, agencies email filters look for the word "query" to do a first pass. Anything that doesn't have them is often never looked at. The agencies would have to be more sophisticated to add synonyms. personally, i wouldn't take the chance.

of course, knowing this hasn't helped me find an agent. so, my opinion is probably worth the price you paid for it :)

Wayne K
08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I've read more than once in agency guidelines. Query Fiction, or Query Nonfiction.

Carmy
08-16-2009, 04:35 PM
How would you like to be the agent who receives hundreds of emails all with the same subject -- Query?

Query + Title, always.

JennW
08-17-2009, 04:51 AM
I also do Query: Title

Julie Worth
08-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Don't put the extras in the subject line; it's too much and belongs in the query itself.

If an agent says write QUERY, then do it. More likely than not, the spam filters will chomp anything else.

Are there filters that chomp? Mine doesn't, it just looks at individual words. Anyway, when they say put query in there, they don't mean that's all you can put. That just allows the filter to route it to the appropriate folder. And if you don't put any other id in the subject line, that could be irritating.