Pet Peeve

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, let me preface this grumble (not a rant) by saying I'm not angling for reppies here.

What I've noticed lately, especially on this forum, is often a lack of acknowledgment for those of us who make time to offer help, opinions and support when topics are posted. Quite a few of you do take the time to post a "thanks," send a PM or a rep. But I see many people's responses blown off with a "yeah, that's nice, but what about this??"

This site has offered me immeasurable support and help in my writing career and I'm a believer in paying back and sharing what knowledge I've been fortunate enough to gain over the past few years. But I've cut back on participating partly for the reason cited above.

To be fair, I have noticed this happening on other writer's forums and artist sites, too.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I don't think it's a matter of rating each other, but it never hurts to acknowledge someone who has taken time to help.

What I'd love to see is a trimming of the snark that is prevalent in forums. It's simply irritating. ;)

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
Denise:

As Wynter said, I'm not talking about rating anyone, their posts or comments. But maybe I should clarify - sometimes I use the rep point system instead of/in addition to sending a PM.

Basically, it's just an issue of common courtesy, IMHO.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Rep points are given (for either approving or disapproving a post) by clicking on the little tree-shaped thing next to the green light under your name/location. It's a private way of saying howdy. :)

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, I feel like a complete clod. I never noticed that!

Does the site display our reputation somewhere, based on these clicky things?

Don't feel bad. It took me awhile to find them as well. In fact it wasn't until I found all the nice comments/reps I rec'd that I knew what they were.

On the tool bar above you'll see a User CP. That's where you'll find any comments sent your way.

And they are rather arbitrary. I used to give my kids' *brownie points" as a way to acknowledge good/kind behavior. I see rep points the same way.

EM

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Honestly, I usually just ignore rep myself. I do always try to thank people for answering a question I've asked, though I think everyone forgets from time to time.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
Yeah, it took me a while to realise how to rep people too. I'd get these nice comments from people in my User CP, and I had no idea how to do it back.
Once I worked it out, it also took me a while to realise (I'm a slow learner) that it's sort of etiquette to "rep" critters for their critiques, or if they have given you a nice comment, or whatever.
When I figured that out, I felt guilty, so I went back and repped pretty much everyone who critiqued my Share Your Works. It was quite the rep-point fiesta :)
Now I rep whoever takes the time to crit my work, anyone who writes a comment that makes me laugh, or just when I feel someone is making an effort to create a positive forum.

I don't expect people to always rep me when I critique their work (it's not why we do it, after all), but like you guys have said, I do expect some acknowledgement - even just a "thanks" post is fine.

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
I used the rep example just as one device to acknowledge when we've done helpful things for each other on the forum.

My original point was that I feel it's important to recognize in some way that someone has taken the time to respond to your post.

Steam&Ink

sekrit superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away dow
Website
steamandink.blogspot.com
My original point was that I feel it's important to recognize in some way that someone has taken the time to respond to your post.

Yes, and it was a fair point. I think it's a shame if people are discouraged from contributing to forums such as the "Share Your Work" or advice areas, because others don't take the time to acknowledge their help. This is especially the case when the person has taken the time to write a well thought-out, meaningful reply, or - in the case of critiques - has done a line-by-line critique.
For my part, I've always found the people in my forums to be really helpful and responsive :) come visit us in the Historical writing, Nancy!

Last edited:

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
Nancy,
I hope I didn't change the topic of your post - but I never knew about these rep points. I'm glad to find out!
And I wanted to add that I agree, it is nice to hear back once you've taken the time to explain something or offer advice. I often wonder how things turned out. Perhaps your post will bring all this to light.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Does the site display our reputation somewhere, based on these clicky things?

You used to be able to hover over the tree-thing and see a caption saying things based on the number of rep points you'd earned like, "this member is so great we're run out of appropriate compliments" but I can't get it to work now, so it may have been updated (or removed). Other than that, no one sees how many rep points you have. :)

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Wyntermoon, that place is just below the "P" in "Posts" by your posts. There's nothing there to indicate its there, but just hover your mouse just below the "P," and the caption should show up.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I used the rep example just as one device to acknowledge when we've done helpful things for each other on the forum.

You are right, of course and I do make the effort to respond to people who've been kind enough to respond to something I've posted...but sometimes it's months between my visits to AW depending on where I am and if I have internet access. If people don't respond to me, I don't take it personnally; especcially since this is such a busy site. It's easy to get lost in all the chatter.

:)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
It all just comes down to good manners. But it helps if we make sure everybody knows how to work the bells and whistles. Thanks, Nancy for reminding us, and to Wyntermoon for clarification.

Wynter--I wish you much luck with your "mouse wiggling." :D

Amy,
Who is back from the beach and still hears the roar of the waves in her head (or the wind whistling through her ears).

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Took me a year, at least, before I discovered "reps" and quite by accident. And honestly, I have no idea how to give them. I guess I've always figured that the best way to give back to this forum is by simply sharing your advice, experiences, et cetera--honestly, with empathy and without snarkiness. As with anything, you'll attract the most bees with honey! Or in this case, equal amounts advice, experiences, et cetera. ;)

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Stormie. Apparently, it's been far too long since I've been on the boards. I did as you said, and voila--I totally recognized doing the same thing in the past. I guess I have given out some reps! Good to be back in the game.