PDA

View Full Version : Global Lion Intellectual Pty. Mgmt. (formerly PMA Literary & Film Management)

Pages : [1] 2

kevacho
10-25-2004, 05:36 AM
Hello all... :thumbs

Just wonderin' if anyone has any information about Peter Miller and PMA Literary? Do they appear to be legitimate and all that?

Nothing too exciting, but they have taken an interest in my novel.

Thanks...

Any help, and or, information would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"Don't forget the joe!":coffee

priceless1
10-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Kevin, from what we've been able to discern, Peter Miller is legit and well known. Our marketing director met and talked with him at great length at the BEA in Chicago last June. He's contacted us about representation for some of our works.

Victoria, what say you?

vstrauss
10-26-2004, 05:23 AM
PMA is a highly successful agency with a strong track record of selling publishing rights and subsidiary rights; it reps some very well-known writers. Just one small caveat: at various times I've gotten reports of paid critique services offered to rejected clients. I haven't heard anything about this in at least a couple of years, though, so it may be it's no longer an issue.

- Victoria

kevacho
10-27-2004, 08:26 AM
:cheer

Thank you Lynn and Victoria. I'm really grateful for the help and informative words.

I'm waiting now (of course, the dread waiting) to hear back from PMA.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"Don't forget the Joe." :coffee

absolutewrite
10-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Congrats, Kevin! That's a great accomplishment already.

kevacho
10-28-2004, 09:07 PM
:clap

Thanks Jenna. Believe me, your kind words do not fall on deaf ears. I've been doing this particularly frustrating dance for some time now. Querying agents, and attempting to get a writing career going, can be alot like doing the "Lambada" without a partner!
:snoopy

It's nice to have a little encouragement.

"Don't forget the Joe.":coffee

"Live to Write. Write to Live." ;)

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

junkyardawg1
11-05-2004, 11:45 AM
They are legit....They've turned down both of my novels though.

Good luck,

dawgy
www.lwcook.com (http://www.lwcook.com)

kevacho
11-07-2004, 11:46 PM
:) Dawgy,

Thanks for the kind words. I feel your pain, for lack of a much better phrase. But don't give up, don't back down... "eye of the tiger", fellow writer!

I always tell people when they ask me how it is that I do what I do (which is writing) that it's much easier than you think, and alot harder than you would assume. (That's also what I told people when they queried me about my abilities on the drums, but that's an entirely different story.) I think the key just might be persistence... dog-eared, blind, sometimes dumb, stubborn persistence.

The other thing I tell people is that the only thing capable of stopping me from trying, which is to say trying to publish, or get sold, is death. And that happens to be one of those variables that is beyond any one of our controls.

So... worry about death if you have to, or taxes, or bills, or the dreaded "day-job", but don't ever stop writing!

"Write to Live. Live to Write."

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

"The Liquid God" :coffee

James D. Macdonald
08-02-2005, 02:46 AM
What you're looking for, always, is an agent and an editor who love your book as much as you do.

Dhewco
10-31-2005, 01:25 AM
I have a comment about this agency. They responded (to an e-query) with a note he's forwarding my query to an associate. She'll contact me...if she's interested.

And then a push for his website and book.

I was thrown off by the push for his book, but not too much. By forwarding my query to another, does that mean anything? Or was that sort of automatic. A form letter in which he plopped my name?

David

SC Harrison
10-31-2005, 02:37 AM
David, I queried PMA last year and got an e-mail telling me to follow the submission guidelines. The e-mail also included a plug for the Delessandro book that had just been released, which I thought was a little weird. Then again, why not? I never submitted my ms, but I wish I had.

SC Harrison
10-31-2005, 04:21 AM
Oops. Sorry about that, it's done.

DaveKuzminski
10-31-2005, 06:10 AM
I'm going to weigh in here with a few comments about the practice of putting brochures and other ads within returning SASEs.

First of all, writers are terribly shy people for the most part. Yet if they want their books to do well, they have to remember that they can make impressions on readers or potential readers by letting them know of the existence of their books. It's called promotion. There's nothing wrong with it and it's something that many writers need to learn to do for themselves. It doesn't mean you have to learn to do precisely the same thing once you become published, but you shouldn't condemn other writers for doing what little they can to promote themselves. After all, they're no less proud of their books than you are of your efforts. It can even be a good thing for you as writers.

Okay, how can it be good for me as a writer? Well, it gives that agent or publisher an incentive to reply back to you. There are far too many who think wrongly that it's okay to ignore writers regardless of their ability whose work they don't want to represent or publish. Well, permitting them to include an ad for their latest effort means they'll at least respond since now there's an advantage for them to do so. Remember, it's not costing you anything extra in postage. If it does, then let that agent know. Also, let P&E know.

Dhewco
10-31-2005, 08:26 AM
They didn't tell me to follow the guidelines, they just said that I could find more information about them and their guidelines on the webpage while I wait for a response.

PS, he also gave me the associate's email address. Told me I could reach her there. I didn't think a prospective client would need such an addy. Why would I contact her, is she going to forget me?

I don't want to seem pushy, either. The sending me to an associate is a new one on me.

David

Oh, one more thing, I didn't mean to imply I was condemning it. I was only surprised, is all. (talking about the push for the book). More power to him, but I don't want that to be the only reason for the email.

and.....Has anyone heard of the associate, Kelly Skillen? She's listed at www.agentquery.com (http://www.agentquery.com) but there's not much more than her name.

Any info would be appreciated.

waylander
10-31-2005, 02:01 PM
I got a rejection from Kelly Skillen at PMA a couple of months ago. She appears to be a new agent there.

HapiSofi
11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
You got an expression of interest from Peter Miller? Pat yourself on the back. Now let's hope they take you on.

RoccoMom
11-05-2005, 05:55 PM
I've been contacted by them, as well. For both screenplays and novels. One novel was rejected by an associate but the screenplays are still under consideration. The initial email response was from Peter Miller.

So, I am waiting to hear as well. I imagine from checking their website and looking at their step by step process i am at either stage 3 or 4.

RoccoMom
11-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Lauren Hodge at PMA is the associate who rejected my fantasy novel. My other thriller was passed onto Kelly Skillen, with a note that if she wanted to read it she'd be in touch.

She never contacted me.

James D. Macdonald
11-05-2005, 10:48 PM
The right agent for one person may be the wrong agent for another. There's a personal relationship as well as a business relationship between agent and author.

blackbird
11-26-2005, 07:51 PM
My understanding about PMA is that it is a company under which various agents work, Peter Miller being only the company head and most well-known, but all of the agents, or "associates" who work for the company have equal say and power to make decisions about clients they wish to represent. Peter Miller often refers potential clients to other agents at PMA because he either likes the premise of the work, but is too busy himself to take on another project, or simply because he may feel the project would be better suited to the tastes of one of the other agents. I had a similar experience when my project was passed on to Kelly Skillen, but my understanding is that Kelly has placed at least three sales with major publishers in the last few months. Plus, every time I have inquired as to my project's status, she has been gracious and courteous to me, as have all the staff there.

I did have some initial reservations. Not many people seem to have heard of the agency, despite a presumably thirty-year track record. But I've checked up on all their claims, and all their credits appear to be legit. Plus, as many of you know by now, Liam Jackson's novel is represented by Ms. Skillen.

But to get back to the original question, I do believe sincerely they are legit (otherwise, I would not be working with them) and I don't think the practice of referring potential clients to other agents who work for the agency is anything to be suspicious or alarmed about. I know that, even though I submitted a 1300 page manuscript, at no time has any type of "editing service" been mentioned; instead, Ms. Skillen has allowed me the courtesy of making my own edits, according to my own judgment, at my own pace. She's never been obtrusive with ideas for cuts, etc. She seems to truly believe in the project, and its merit. I guess my only real complaint is the seemingly endless delay of just getting it in front of publishers. I was wondering if any of you have had similar experiences with this agency, or others, and is this really something to be unduly concerned about?

Boulanger
12-10-2005, 08:53 AM
I too have been represented by Kelly since March. She was great, but I received an e-mail a couple days ago saying she's taking a leave of absence. I'm being handed over to another agent. I check the web site and I don't see a ton of agents at PMA. Makes me abit nervous.

I wonder how much committment the new agent will have in the project -- it was Kelly who recognized its worth. Its Kelly who worked with me to get the proposal right. I'm sure you know this now yourself. How frustrating.

Boulanger

Bill Jomes
03-21-2006, 08:17 AM
I've received an e-mail of interest from Ms. Skillen of PMA and I was wondering if the folks who've dealt with her and/or PMA have any further helpful information.

Another question: InkWell Mngmt has on their website a clause for electronic submissions which reads to this effect, if i'm reading it correctly: InkWell will not be liable to me if they have some property which is "similar or identical" to mine.

Um. Identical? My paranoia kicks in. If a work is "identical" to mine, doesn't that mean it's the same thing word-for-word? Can anyone shed some light?

James D. Macdonald
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
It means they spent too much time in Hollywood.

No one is interested in stealing an author's works, at least in the print world. Publishers aren't interested in your current book alone -- they want the next two books also. Stolen books don't come with sequels.

RoccoMom
03-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I wonder if Dan Brown would be getting sued for Da Vinci Code if his book hadn't topped the bestseller list and have a movie about to debut in May.

they only care if they think they can squeeze money out of you - if his book had been a modest seller no one probably would have noticed.

Halowen12@aol.com
05-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Hi everyone. This is the first time I've posted here but I would like to thank everyone up front for the great advice I read on here before actually becoming a member. But any how, I said I would join after I finished my latest screenplay and was beginning the agent search process. A low and behold an agent in new york has agreed to read my script.

I am aware of companies such as THE SCREENPLAY AGENCY (Who also almost got myself, and probably EVERY struggling screenwriter/writer), but I was wondering if anyone has any info on PMA LITERARY & FILM MGT., INC.? The company is ran by Peter Miller who also wrote me. Their website is www.pmalitfilm.com (http://www.pmalitfilm.com). I'm still doing some research on them and will post my findings also.

They initially asked me if I would be interested in turning the script into a novel as they represent more authors than screenwriters but do accept screenwriters considering the material.

Any feed back would be great. Thank you all!!!

-KAM

Julie Worth
05-05-2006, 01:58 AM
There's already a thread on them:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731
These questions are better posed on the Bewares and Background Check subforum, where there's an excellent index: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792

Maryn
05-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Welcome to you! There's lot of excellent information on agents available here, in the thread Julie linked.

Be aware, though, that the most effective approach is to check out any potential agents thoroughly before you query or send any part of a manuscript. Who knows how many stamps that'll save you, eh?

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Julie Worth
05-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Welcome to you!

Obviously, I'll never be hired as a greeter.

CaoPaux
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
maestrowork
recruiting fresh firemen
Mod Squad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sloane
The fact remains that due to the vagaries of the system, no matter how good your novel is, the chances of getting picked
up by a worthwhile mainstream publisher is extremely remote. Liam Jackson signed with PMA and they just sold 3 books for him. Liam is a first-time author.

I got accepted by a publisher in 10 months and now the book is available in stores, not on some vanity press's website.

And like Uncle Jim said over and over and over again... EVERY big time author (or any multi-published author) was a first-time, unknown author at one time. Clearly somebody must be publishing them.

If you're not willing to wait and pay your dues, then don't. Go POD. And good luck. But don't insult other writers by saying the system doesn't work. Clearly it works.

Have you ever try reading your ms. and see if it is your problem, and not the publishers/agents that they don't want to read your ms.?

Talking back is not going to get you anywhere. It may make you feel better about yourself. But I think it's healthier to take a cold shower instead.
06-12-2006, 06:51 PM
SC Harrison
Captain Obvious

Although my experience with PMA is almost not even worth posting about, I'm bored so I'll do it anyway. Before I made the stupid mistake of signing with PA, I sent an e-mail to Peter Miller, explaining that I had written a full-length manuscript that had yet to be professionally edited, and I was wondering how well-written it needed to be for him to consider it. He responded with something like, "It will depend on how well-written it is." I know. It's very funny, but he had the decency to not point out my stupidity and/or naivity. I have no doubt his actual rejection would have been just as polite, which means...well, nothing really. I just thought I would share that with you.
06-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Alan Yee
Keeper of Flying Hellhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Harrison
Although my experience with PMA is almost not even worth posting about, I'm bored so I'll do it anyway. Before I made the stupid mistake of signing with PA, I sent an e-mail to Peter Miller, explaining that I had written a full-length manuscript that had yet to be professionally edited, and I was wondering how well-written it needed to be for him to consider it. He responded with something like, "It will depend on how well-written it is." I know. It's very funny, but he had the decency to not point out my stupidity and/or naivity. I have no doubt his actual rejection would have been just as polite, which means...well, nothing really. I just thought I would share that with you.What can I say, Steve? Peter Miller sounds decent to me. You should be happy he didn't point out stupidity and/or naivity and didn't go snarky on you. He sounds professional enough.

Don't worry. I've done some embarrassing stuff like that when I was a clueless newbie (though I didn't run into any agents) and asked some naive questions on some other message boards on the web. My cluelessness didn't last more than a year. I started seeking good information within 2 or so years after I started writing (yes, I joined Critters when I was 12; I must be weird or something ). At least I didn't stay completely clueless for long. You should be glad that I'm not anymore.
06-13-2006, 04:00 AM
waylander
Board fanatic

PMA just responded to my e-mail query with a request for my first 4 chapters and synopsis.
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
MidnightMuse
Send Lawyers, Guns & Money

Waylander - excellent news ! Wishing you all the luck in the world
06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Liam Jackson
I banned my other me
Mod Squad Member

Congrats, Waylander, and best of luck!
__________________Lost a few of congratulatory/query update nature.

writebynight
07-08-2006, 02:35 AM
I am new here and so I am not sure where exactly this thread belongs but I read a lot of informed threads on this Forum so I thought I'd stick around here for now. :-)

Okay, here's the situation....I submitted a query to PMA LITERARY & FILM MGT., INC. The President wrote back a week ago saying that the novel sounded unique and that he had forwarded my mail to his assistant.....well here is the exact content:

"Your novel sounds unique. I have passed your email on to my assistant, Adrienne Rosado, who will be in touch if she wants to read this or recommend it to me. She handles all email correspondence at PMA so it is not necessary to email me."

My question is since it's been almost a week:

1. Should I write to his assistant refering to his email just incase? or
2. Give her (them) more time due to the holiday weekend? or
3. Forget about it and move on?

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you all!

Cath
07-08-2006, 02:38 AM
I think there's already a thread on this lot - I'm sure the mods will advise.

A week sounds like an awfully short time for an agent to get back - I wouldn't start worrying just yet.

Cath

Tilly
07-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Here is the thread:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731

Personally, I'd go for option 3 and keep querying. You will probably hear back from them eventually :)

ETA: my personal best so far is six months between query and rejection. I fully expect to beat that record. Most agents take a month or two before I hear back.

We have an index at the top of the Bewares and Backgrounds Check board, and when we ask a question about an agent or publisher, we go to that thread and ask it there. The thread pops back up to the top, and it means all pertinant information is in one place. :)

Alan Yee
07-08-2006, 02:44 AM
A week is almost no time at all as far as submissions go. It often takes at least 3 months for publishers and agents to respond. They get lots of submissions, so it takes a while for them to process everything. Patience is the key here.

And we already have a thread for PMA, I think.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, Tilly. We cross-posted. :D

rugcat
07-08-2006, 04:37 AM
I got a rejection back from PMA seven months after a query. I'd forgotten I'd queried them.

Branwyn
07-08-2006, 05:14 AM
I received the same response and then about three weeks later got the rejection from A.Rosado.

Good Luck to you.

Aconite
07-08-2006, 05:21 AM
writebynight, you can get your AW feet wet by venturing into the Newbies Forum, where you'll find information to get you started and people who will say hi to you.

writebynight
07-08-2006, 06:52 AM
A BIG thanks to you all for all the info and redirections. I'll try the 'Newbies' Aconite, I just asked the question here since I figured some of the veterans will know more than the newbies.

Thanks again! ALl the best to you all!

Aconite
07-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Oh, you're definitely in the right forum for your question. No problems there. The Newbies Forum is a good place to go for general information on the board and how it works, and that will be useful for you, too.

JennaGlatzer
07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm merging this with the existing PMA thread. Please use the index in the future. We don't allow new threads about agents/publishers that have already been listed here.

blackbird
07-08-2006, 07:50 PM
I am new here and so I am not sure where exactly this thread belongs but I read a lot of informed threads on this Forum so I thought I'd stick around here for now. :-)

Okay, here's the situation....I submitted a query to PMA LITERARY & FILM MGT., INC. The President wrote back a week ago saying that the novel sounded unique and that he had forwarded my mail to his assistant.....well here is the exact content:

"Your novel sounds unique. I have passed your email on to my assistant, Adrienne Rosado, who will be in touch if she wants to read this or recommend it to me. She handles all email correspondence at PMA so it is not necessary to email me."

My question is since it's been almost a week:

1. Should I write to his assistant refering to his email just incase? or
2. Give her (them) more time due to the holiday weekend? or
3. Forget about it and move on?

Any insight would be helpful. Thank you all!

If it's any help at all to know, I am a client of this agency. I have not heard back from a recent inquiry to Adrienne Rosado, also, which leads me to believe that she's most likely either very swamped right now or possibly out of office for the holiday week. So if it's any consolation, take heart that it isn't just you. Most likely, what people have said here is true: A week is not a very long time in the agent world.

MidnightMuse
07-12-2006, 07:46 PM
I just wanted to say, they have the NICEST form rejection emails I have ever had the pleasure of reading :)

Yes, it was a form rejection - and yes, my submission clearly deserved it. This is an ms that I've come to realize isn't going to make the cut, and the queries were sent out before I learned how to do a winning one - so the fact that it was rejected came as no surprise. My current WIP is far superior and will make the cut, eventually.

I wish I'd brought the rejection with me - suffice it to say it was simply stated, actually encouraging in its let-down, and didn't feel all that bad. For a Form Rejection, they found a good one!

Of course, I may have been drinking and reading my own advice :D But nah, I don't drink during the week.

I'm just proud of myself for having taken the step toward becomming a published writer. These form rejections are all yellow bricks on the road to success :)

Branwyn
07-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Unforunately for me, it's a LONG road.

MidnightMuse
07-12-2006, 08:01 PM
A long road, yes. But if you take a camera with you, and pack a snack, some good can come of those sore feet :)

MarkEsq
07-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I just heard from PMA as well. Not a rejection, more like a rude/abrasive request for more. I posted it in the non-fiction thread. Just funny to see them in the subject line.

Birol
07-12-2006, 10:12 PM
They're currently my first choice for an agent.

MidnightMuse
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
From what I've seen and read, they're an admirable first choice ! My best wishes for your success :)

popmuze
07-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I'd be interested to find out how it goes with PMA. They asked for a full ms of mine last September and after a couple of months turned it down with the suggestion from their reader that I could benefit from a professional editor, the name of whom they just happened to have on hand.
I declined.

MidnightMuse
07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Ouch - that can't be good ! I don't have enough experience with them to say, but it does give off an itchy feeling. Could just be their version of a Stage II form rejection, though.

Birol
07-14-2006, 12:46 AM
They're legit. All you have to do is look at who they've published to know that. I do know someone who went with them and he was not referred to an editor.

popmuze
07-14-2006, 01:37 AM
That's the point.

It's only the people they reject who they recommend to editors.

MidnightMuse
07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Well - if I could offer any positive twist on this for you - I DO know that PMA is very legit . . . so you could assume they're saying you're not terrible, you had good ideas, but they'd like to see something improve ? Perhaps they see potential in you - as opposed to the vanilla rejection they give the rest of us?

Look at it this way - they did request a full from you. Coming from PMA, that's a big step in the proper direction, regardless of how short the trip was.

Birol
07-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Non-legit agents typically recommend everyone see a professional editor and then they promise to rep you if you go to the editor they select. PMA does not do that.

waylander
07-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Got a rejection of my partial from Adrienne Rosado today. Took about 3 weeks from when she received it.

RoccoMom
07-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Got a rejection of my partial from Adrienne Rosado today. Took about 3 weeks from when she received it.

Me Too! Exactly the same. Adrienne requested a partial on June 13th and I received a snail mail rejection letter in the mail on July 13th.

popmuze
07-14-2006, 08:42 PM
I'll definitely put them back on my short list of people to get back to once I have something new (or sufficiently rewritten).

jkorzenko
07-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi!

Anyone heard of Ray Prince? His title is submissions assistant. I received a request from him at PMA but the email had the word "Interns" on the response. Just curious whether or not he is a summer intern.

Thanks.

J.

MarkEsq
07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi!

Anyone heard of Ray Prince? His title is submissions assistant. I received a request from him at PMA but the email had the word "Interns" on the response. Just curious whether or not he is a summer intern.

Thanks.

J.

Yes! I have swapped emails with him, he requested my non-fiction proposal after seeing my query letter. I sent him the proposal and sample chapter and then he asked to see the complete manuscript. I posted about this in the non-fiction section because in the non-fiction world, there is no complete manuscript -- projects are almost always sold based on proposals. I wrote and politely explained that to him a couple of weeks ago, and have not heard back. I'm still hopeful, though. :)

jkorzenko
07-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks, Mark. How fast was your response? I sent him a partial about six weeks ago.

I hope you receive a positive response soon. :)

Writer4Life
08-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Just to add my two cent's worth about PMA: I'd advise against signing with this agency.

I was signed with Peter Miller for a year, and it wasn't a good experience. He was quite nice and enthusiastic in the beginning, but after I signed that wretched contract (the worst I've seen in the business, quite frankly) he pushed me off on an assistant and barely lifted a finger to sell my book. He was much too busy traveling around on speaking engagements, promoting the new edition of his own book on getting published.

There was great feedback on the book, but no takers from the first few publishers he pitched. There were several that he never bothered to follow up with. Communication with him (which was sporadic and infrequent) became increasingly more curt and, eventually, he was downright rude.

I've since heard from others that my experience with him is not unique. He is one of those agents that has a good reputation amongst writers who've never dealt with him, but people in the industry (editors, in particular) don't think very highly of him. His contract also demands 20% of domestic receipts and 25% of overseas earnings....much higher than any other agent.

I recently signed with someone else, and the difference is amazing. The agent I have now is motivated, loves the book, has a great track record, and most importantly, treats his clients with professionalism. He has sold many more books than PMA, plenty of them bestsellers, and yet his contract only asks for the standard 15% domestic/20% overseas split.

I'm glad that you have an agent who is interested in seeing your work, but don't stop sending out your stuff while you wait to hear back from PMA. Keep on looking, and if the opportunity presents itself to sign with anyone other than this agency....take it!

MarkEsq
08-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks, Mark. How fast was your response? I sent him a partial about six weeks ago.

I hope you receive a positive response soon. :)

The response to my query email was very quick, about a week. But as of today, I'm still waiting to see if they want more or not.

Good luck with yours!

MarkEsq
08-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Just to add my two cent's worth about PMA: I'd advise against signing with this agency.

His contract also demands 20% of domestic receipts and 25% of overseas earnings....much higher than any other agent.

I'm glad that you have an agent who is interested in seeing your work, but don't stop sending out your stuff while you wait to hear back from PMA. Keep on looking, and if the opportunity presents itself to sign with anyone other than this agency....take it!

Thanks, interesting to hear your experience. I wonder if that 20% figure is negotiable?!

ixchel
08-01-2006, 11:09 PM
My experience with PMA was a year ago. I e-mailed my query and that same day received a request for a partial, even through they 'doubted' the commercial viability of my novel. Then a month and half later I received a request for a full. Less than a week later I got a rejection. But they did give me some reasons why they decided to pass on my novel, more than most agents. They recommended that I get an editor to go over my manuscript too but didn't give me any names. I took their suggestions and worked them into my manuscript.

jkorzenko
08-01-2006, 11:17 PM
The response to my query was fast, too. I still haven't heard a peep on my partial. That 20% bothers me as it is not industry standard. I wonder what the agency believes determines their right to a 5% higher commission?

J.

Writer4Life
08-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I flat out asked him why it was that high before I signed the contract, and he said, "Because our industry contracts, particularly abroad, are excellent and well worth it."

I was a newbie to this whole process, so I signed. Stupid me. I've since asked around to as many writers as I can (those with agents) and so far, he's the only agent I know of who asks for that much.

victoriastrauss
08-02-2006, 01:11 AM
There are a few other established agencies that charge 20%, such as the Zack Company and Rights Unlimited. Often the higher commission is charged only to new writers. It's true, though, that 20% isn't typical.

A 25% commission for co-agented sales isn't terribly unusual.

- Victoria

blackbird
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
The take was 15% when I signed with the agency a year ago. I had not heard of any increase. But perhaps, like everything else in the world, agent commissions are subject to inflation. The cost of everything is rising, and it won't surprise me if, in a couple of years, 20% will be the standard.

However, this brings up a really good question, and probably one I need to broach to them. If your contract specifically states 15%, are agents obligated to hold to that figure, or can they legally enforce the new rate if it increases?

In response to Writer4life's experience with PMA and comments about Peter Miller, I can vouch for this: Peter often can (and does) come across as gruff, but underneath that tough-cookie exterior I have found him to be a very sweet and generous man who really cares about his clients.

Training Day
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Mark, please check your Private Messages

victoriastrauss
08-02-2006, 05:14 PM
However, this brings up a really good question, and probably one I need to broach to them. If your contract specifically states 15%, are agents obligated to hold to that figure, or can they legally enforce the new rate if it increases?In the 1980's, the standard commission rate went from 10% to 15% (this happened over a number of years--even in the late 1990's there were a few 10% holdouts). When my agent switched to 15%, it was across the board for all her clients. Some agencies making the switch grandfathered in their older clients at 10%.

There's no legal enforcement for this--agenting is an unlicensed and unregulated business, so they can do what they want. They do tend to stick to the prevailing standard, though. I don't know exactly what drives a change in that standard, but if there were movement toward a change, I expect you'd see debate about it. Despite the few agents charging 20% (again, this is often a two-tier system that penalizes new writers), I don't see signs that large numbers of agents are moving in that direction, at least not at the moment.

- Victoria

Writer4Life
08-02-2006, 07:06 PM
My experience with PMA occurred over a year ago, and I'd be surprised if they changed their contract to lower their commission. Perhaps they offer different contracts to different authors, depending upon their experience level. Two other authors I know who signed with him (both over three years ago) also got the 20% rate.

Sonny Palermo
08-04-2006, 01:36 AM
He's done well with Liam and others.

Quoted from a poster above - "People in the industry (editors, in particular) don't think very highly of him."

Reply - Interviewed all of them, have ya?

aruna
08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
There are a few other established agencies that charge 20%, such as the Zack Company and Rights Unlimited. Often the higher commission is charged only to new writers. It's true, though, that 20% isn't typical.

- Victoria

In the UK several agents still have 10%, but it's mostly 15%, 20% for foreign sales. I've never heard of 25% in the UK.
10% sounds like a dream, and it's still possible over here!

Ben Salmon
08-04-2006, 07:26 PM

- Victoria

Um... Quickly stopping over here from my post in "Ask An Agent." Just wanted to say that Rights Unlimited does, actually, charge standard commission: 15% on domestic and 20% on foreign (often we use a subagent and get 10% for ourselves and 10% for the subagent, which is totally standard). Standard, standard! Don't want folks getting the wrong idea...

OK, now I should get back to answering questions. I might get in trouble!

Sam Adams
08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Peter Miller has been my agent since December 2005. He accepted my proposal on a True Crime within two hours of the time I sent an e-mail, and he had a publishing contract for it within two weeks.

A just completed the manuscript and PRECIOUS BLOOD will be out in May 2007 from Pinnacle Books, an imprint of Kensington Publishing Corp. For those of you who don't know, Kensington is the largest independent publisher in the United States. It publishes about 600 books a year.

So Yes, PMA is a legitimate agency. Peter is also an author and a film producer, so he is extremely busy. I think there are other agents in the firm, but I haven't dealt with them. If you've gotten a bite from him, be grateful.

Some said they were surprised by the fact that he included plugs for his book and for one of his client's books in his email rejections. If you'll notice, the name of the company is PMA Literary and Film MANAGEMENT. It's not just an agency that sells your book and forgets it. It actively promotes it. There are pages on the web site, pmalitfilm.com, that will give you a list of credits. You can also check Preditors and Editors, which verifies that he has sales.

aruna
08-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Peter Miller has been my agent since December 2005. He accepted my proposal on a True Crime within two hours of the time I sent an e-mail, and he had a publishing contract for it within two weeks.

He accepted your PROPOSAL without reading the manuscript, and before you had even written the book? That is amazing, if true; must have been some killer proposal... congratulations!

I got the impression from reading their guidelines that they take months and months to read mss. I recently sent them a requested partial.

And by the way, welcome!

Sam Adams
08-09-2006, 06:54 PM
He accepted your PROPOSAL without reading the manuscript, and before you had even written the book? That is amazing, if true; must have been some killer proposal... congratulations!

I got the impression from reading their guidelines that they take months and months to read mss. I recently sent them a requested partial.

And by the way, welcome!

Nonfiction is usually submitted as a proposal rather than a completed work. With fiction, you need a complete manuscript.

I don't want to give the impression that the initial query is all it took to get a publisher. Peter accepted me on the basis of about a three paragraph e-mail, but it took a lot more than that for the publisher. Peter worked with me through a week of preparing a full proposal, passing along questions from Kensington and other interested publishers as they came up. I think the final proposal was something like 8 pages long and included a two-page synopsis; a market section listing competing books and an analysis of who would buy mine; and an author bio. The next week was all negotiations between Peter and the publishers. Kensington ended up being the one that made an offer.

Thanks for the welcome.

aruna
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Ah yes. The words "proposal on a True Crime" sounded like fiction, and for a moment I mixed up proposal with query.

Sam Adams
08-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Ah yes. The words "proposal on a True Crime" sounded like fiction, and for a moment I mixed up proposal with query.

Sorry, I was rather imprecise. I should have said he accepted my QUERY within two hours. He then worked with me to develop my PROPOSAL for the publishers. In any case, he called my cell phone within two hours of the time I sent him the email and offered to represent me.

By the way, I sent to 18 agents. Six responded, but five were too late. The other 12 still haven't gotten back to me. In the meantime, I've already been collecting my advance and Peter has been collecting his 15 percent. Their loss.

PRECIOUS BLOOD will be a mass market paperback on sale in the U.S. No overseas sales so far.

Sonny Palermo
08-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Good for you Sam, terrific news.
I love stories that break the traditional time frame of query to pub deal; it's good to see that writing skills and concept can shine through and be noticed immediately.
I don't drink your beer, but I'll buy a copy of your book when it comes out (the mom got me into the true crime genre, her reasoning - "it's important for you to know about the nuts you share the planet with.")

Secret stuff or can you share which crime you cover?
If not, how about a hint, where, when?

Kasey Mackenzie
08-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Congratulations, Sam. You must be very excited! =)

Sam Adams
08-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Secret stuff or can you share which crime you cover?
If not, how about a hint, where, when?

You can read the cover copy on PMA's web site under nonfiction for 2007 (http://www.pmalitfilm.com/2007.html).

RoccoMom
08-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Sounds like my type of book! I love true crime! I'll definitely pick up a copy.

jkorzenko
09-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Mark -- did you ever hear back from Ray Prince? I've emailed requesting a status on my partial (way past the 3 mos. mark), but he hasn't responded.

MarkEsq
09-26-2006, 12:12 AM
No indeed. He isn't there any more. He kindly said he would prod them on my behalf and I, too, sent them a polite email asking about the status of my proposal. No word back, so I'm presuming they are not interested.

DeadlyAccurate
09-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Adrienne Rosado responded to the email query I sent today within moments with a rejection (form, I presume, though she took the time to put my name in the address).

jkorzenko
09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Hmmm, well isn't this frustrating? I suppose I'll write them off as well but that just plain irritates me -- wasted paper and wasted postage. They could at least use my SASE to reject me! LOL.

MarkEsq
09-26-2006, 07:28 PM
I know, I can understand not hearing anything (maybe) when you send in an unsolicited query letter, but to get no response after sending in requested material seems a touch impolite. But they are busy and maybe we should be flattered that they wanted to see our stuff at all.

jkorzenko
09-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Now there's a positive attitude for ya...flattered it is then. Good luck with your future proposals. :) scratching PMA off my active sub-list

maurirada
09-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I submitted a screenplay to PMA after a positive response to a query. Received at PMA July 13th. I called on September 21st and then emailed on September 27th to see if there was any response. Still no word. I thought if it was a "no" they would just tell me. Maybe I still have a chance???

jkorzenko
09-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Maurirada --

I wish I had an answer for you. I just don't know. I queried in mid-June, received an immediate request for a partial which I mailed the next day along with all the other stuff they asked for ... author bio, synop, etc. I included a SASE. I thought that I was still under consideration because it appeared that rejections go out pretty fast based on what other members here posted. But, honestly, I think I've just been shoved into a corner somewhere and forgotten. No one has responded to my September email, either.

I've just chosen to move on and not worry about it. I've just released myself from my last agency for communication issues and I am VERY sensitive to timely responses to my questions which is the main reason I'm crossing PMA off my list. I know that for me -- communication is one of the key elements that I'm looking for in an agent. I don't want hand holding or weekly updates. What I want is a professional who will respond to my questions in a timely manner. And, honestly, failing to respond to a status-query is not okay by me. And before anyone starts the "their responsiblity is to their clients first..." let me answer that I'm well aware of that. However, if a writer follows the agency's published guidelines i.e. allow 3 mos before asking for a status-check -- then I full-well expect the same type of professional behavior from that agency, which is responding to the status-check. Shoot, a simple one-line of "Ray Prince is no longer with us and your submission has been lost/misplaced/redirected/rejected" would suit me just fine.

If they're capable of requesting material, why are they not able to give you a status update? I am not a newbie in this business and have found many professional agents and publishers who respond in a very timely manner. If it were just me, I might write this off as to a simple glitch in their system. But hey, there's three of us right now that this agency hasn't responded to in a very short period of time. That, to me, is a red flag.

J.

Homer
10-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Maurirada --

I wish I had an answer for you. I just don't know. I queried in mid-June, received an immediate request for a partial which I mailed the next day along with all the other stuff they asked for ... author bio, synop, etc. I included a SASE. I thought that I was still under consideration because it appeared that rejections go out pretty fast based on what other members here posted. But, honestly, I think I've just been shoved into a corner somewhere and forgotten. No one has responded to my September email, either.

I've just chosen to move on and not worry about it. I've just released myself from my last agency for communication issues and I am VERY sensitive to timely responses to my questions which is the main reason I'm crossing PMA off my list. I know that for me -- communication is one of the key elements that I'm looking for in an agent. I don't want hand holding or weekly updates. What I want is a professional who will respond to my questions in a timely manner. And, honestly, failing to respond to a status-query is not okay by me. And before anyone starts the "their responsiblity is to their clients first..." let me answer that I'm well aware of that. However, if a writer follows the agency's published guidelines i.e. allow 3 mos before asking for a status-check -- then I full-well expect the same type of professional behavior from that agency, which is responding to the status-check. Shoot, a simple one-line of "Ray Prince is no longer with us and your submission has been lost/misplaced/redirected/rejected" would suit me just fine.

If they're capable of requesting material, why are they not able to give you a status update? I am not a newbie in this business and have found many professional agents and publishers who respond in a very timely manner. If it were just me, I might write this off as to a simple glitch in their system. But hey, there's three of us right now that this agency hasn't responded to in a very short period of time. That, to me, is a red flag.

J.

My experience is the same of yours except I haven't nudged them. PMA has sold a lot of books, and it seems to have a strong reputation. But I've received expressions of interest from and have partials out to a number of agencies I'd probably rather sign with even disregarding the slow response time. So I'd rather see how these others play out before hearing from PMA. Still, until I get a contract offer from a better agency I'm not crossing them off my list. Actually, all the agencies have been pretty slow in resonding to my submissions. I understand the time of year has to do with that. The last three months have been holiday season. Also, I have a challenging project--a historical with a complex plot--and my chapters are long. So I'm trying to maximize my odds and stay patient...

blackbird
10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I am a PMA client and still waiting to hear back on a full manuscript I sent in June (the follow-up to my first novel, which PMA has already submitted). While I don't profess to know exactly what is going on with all the delays, I think you should all realize that this agency has gone through some major turn-overs since early this year. Peter Miller himself said late last year that this has created a huge backlog. Projects that were already underway had to be put on hold during this transitional process; new agents were having to pick up the slack, as well as (I'm sure) learning the ropes of working for an agency new to them. Naturally, if the projects of current clients are just now getting caught up to speed, it may take even longer for potential projects and new queries. The 3-month mark listed on their website is just a general timeframe that they aspire to adhere to under normal circumstances, but it's no promise that you'll actually hear back in three months. It may take longer, and given the present circumstances, I would say don't be surprised if it does.

My agent there was Kelly Skillen, who is no longer actually working there but still keeps tabs on her clients' projects that she submitted. If I have a question, she almost always responds within a day or two. And while Adrienne Rosado doesn't always respond right away, if it's a question or issue that is particularly nagging at me, I can usually resolve it with a quick phone call (probably not something I'd recommend, though, unless you are, in fact, a client). But I do know that the manuscript I submitted in June was only just beginning to be reviewed in late August, so perhaps this might shed some light on the current situation with them.

I'm not rushing to their defense just because I'm a client, but IMHO I honestly just think they are swamped right now and doing the best they can to work their way through.

jkorzenko
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Blackbird --

Thanks for your input. Insight is always very helpful. :) I have no problem whatsoever with them taking awhile to review my partial. I'm just miffed that they never responded to my status-check. But if everything's in an uproar over there, I guess it's understandable. And I'm not going to call for the exact reason you mentioned -- I'm not a client.

Good luck with your current sub.

J.

MarkEsq
10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, I finally heard back. Zoraida Cordova apologized for the delay and rejected me in th epolitest way. :) Ah well, onwards and upwards.

jkorzenko
10-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Sorry, Mark. As my teenager would say: That sucks. You've got the right attitude, though.

just_a_girl
10-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Maurirada --

J.

I TOTALLY AGREE! I received a weirdo response to a query a while ago. Peter Miller said: "Hot! Hot! Hot!" then he said he was going to forward my query to his assistant and "see" if she wanted to read it. If she's working for him, wouldn't she read whatever he asked her to?? Just because this man has made a lot of sales doesn't mean he treats all clients with respect. And if he's treating you badly from the start chances are he won't put his back into representing you down the road. A bad agent is worse than no agent at all.

karo.ambrose
10-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Does anyone know anything about Antonio Elias Sosa? I queried PMA and got a response from Antonio, their 'Submissions Evaluator' saying that my work "sounds intriguing, but there are some doubts about its commercial viability". He asked for a partial and I sent it out a few days ago.

I'm assuming 'Submissions Evaluator' means that he's not an agent, right? What does it mean?

ChunkyC
10-27-2006, 03:06 AM
I can corroborate what blackbird said. I'm not a client, but I did have a novel on Kelly Skillen's desk when she left PMA. After significant delay due to the changes taking place in their office, my book was passed to Adrienne Rosado who then got back to me in a reasonable amount of time with a very courteous and encouraging rejection.

I know, 'encouraging rejection' sounds like an oxymoron, but that's what it was. :)

And for those who aren't aware, PMA is our own Liam Jackson's agent. They got him a 3-book deal with the Thomas Dunne imprint of St. Martin's press. Not too shabby.

jkorzenko
10-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Good luck, Karo. I've still never received any response. Oh well.

maurirada
10-28-2006, 08:58 AM
I called on October 19 and the receptionist said she had seen my manuscript somewhere in the office, but the assistant was out. The receptionist tried to reassure me that I would get a letter stating whether they were accepting or rejecting the manuscript. But no timeline.

jkorzenko
10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Seen your ms somewhere? LOLOL. Sounds like my house.

J.

Birol
10-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Haven't you ever seen the pictures of Tor's (http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2002/0208/Event%20-%20Tor/20020416%20Tor-NYC%20050.jpg) slush (http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2002/0208/Event%20-%20Tor/20020416%20Tor-NYC%20059.jpg) pile (http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2002/0208/Event%20-%20Tor/20020416%20Tor-NYC%20053.jpg)?

Julie Worth
10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Peter Miller said: "Hot! Hot! Hot!"

That sounds like him all right. If only his assistants were as excitable.

jkorzenko
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
I finally got my response. It was a very nice and polite R. LOL.

aruna
11-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Never mind, out it goes again. I find it a great thing that in the literary world even these very top agencies respond and give us a chance - unlike in the movie world.

Patty Collier
11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
My story is similar.

This weekend, I sent an unsolicited query on a fiction novel to PMA. The next morning I received an email from Mr. Miller advising he was in receipt, excited and passing to his assistant.

There was bulk advertising and my name was in a different font than the body of the email. I wasn't offended or overly excited. My guess was that Mr. Miller sees response emails to all types of unsolicited queries and questions as an avenue as a tremendous means of advertising and he uses it. Novel concept but an A for effort. Maybe someday Operation Armageddon (my baby) will be plastered there with the others.

With the font, the speed, and the generic accolade, I assumed this was more of a form acknowledgment/receipt letter, and I appreciated that the agency let me know that my query was received and would be routed. I also appreciated a blurb on the holidays and the expected delay in response.

Again, I am a novice but I now have 6 rejections under my belt, 3 partials pending and 8 never acknowledged queries floating in cyber space.... the floaters bother me. Did the agency actually receive them, even with research I don't know if they are receiving new queries and I really don't know if the agency has folded and filed chapter 11???? A receipt is a comfort.

So for me, I certainly appreciated any acknowledgment.

The 20%.. now that bothers me.

All of you that contribute, may I say thanks for all the info. I scour these threads and learn so much. A great service is done by all-

icerose
11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
With those who never respond, just brush them off as rejections and continue on. If you get a response in a few months from now, great, if not, don't sweat it. No use letting it agitate you for something that will probably never come.

It is becoming more and more standard for the non-response, especially with e-queries. I don't find it rather kind, but they didn't ask for the query, it's the lowest priority on their list and some people are just that way. Don't let it get under your skin.

Julie Worth
11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
This weekend, I sent an unsolicited query on a fiction novel to PMA. The next morning I received an email from Mr. Miller advising he was in receipt, excited and passing to his assistant.

I've had that experience twice with Mr. Miller. He's so excitable that his assistants seem dour by comparison.

Again, I am a novice but I now have 6 rejections under my belt, 3 partials pending and 8 never acknowledged queries floating in cyber space.... the floaters bother me. Did the agency actually receive them, even with research I don't know if they are receiving new queries and I really don't know if the agency has folded and filed chapter 11???? A receipt is a comfort.

You're doing great with those three partials. As for email queries, I've noticed that many agencies have stopped responding if they're not interested. And/or new spam software is nuking them. Give it a couple of months, then assume they got nuked. Send out paper queries to those that didn't respond, and this time include sample material. You've nothing to lose.

Patty Collier
11-22-2006, 08:13 AM
My waiting was short lived. I received the nicest note from Ms. Rosado. She graciously encouraged me but did decline representation. What a tough job that must be.

I sent her a thank you for her answer and her time. I also wished her a Happy Thanksgiving. She responded with another gracious note. I did not find her dour, I actually found her delightful, well not as delightful as she would have been if she had said "I want your MS!" but alas...

Question, how do we know why they declined our manuscript. I know they say it isn't right for their particular agency but what makes it "not right"? How can you remediate without a diagnosis?

jkorzenko
11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Patty,

A no is a no. You can't dissect the reasons. It's just a no. And you shouldn't want to attempt to change your ms because a few agents are sending you r's. It'll find a home. And if not, move on to the next project. Sorry about the rejection. ((()))'s.

J.

Julie Worth
11-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I did not find her dour...

This agency is famous for its turnover, and my experience is from last year and the year before.

priceless1
11-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Question, how do we know why they declined our manuscript. I know they say it isn't right for their particular agency but what makes it "not right"? How can you remediate without a diagnosis?
Writers always want to know why they were rejected so they can determine if their work needs revising. The reason you aren't given a critique can be two-fold.

The first reason is time allowance. There are a ton of submissions to review, and time simply doesn't allow for each writer to receive a personalized reason why they're being rejected. Critiques take a lot of time to write. As an example, we're a small, indie press, and we receive well over 300 submissions a month. I only offer critiques when I've read and rejected a full manuscript. Out of those 300 submissions, I may ask for a full on only one or two. The rest are rejections.

The other reason you receive a from rejection letter is the number of writers who don't accept rejection well and feel compelled to send a nasty gram back to the editor. It becomes a matter of deciding whether offering critiques is worth having one's inbox filled with invitations to self multiply while standing on the long end of a short pier.

In the long run, a no is still a no, regardless of how it's communicated.

Patty Collier
11-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Jkorzenko and priceless, thanks for the insight. I really hate when I have to face logic... You are absolutely right, I know. I will tell you I would not want to have to deal with irate emails either, especially when the agents intent is to help.

Julie Worth, I see your point and do agree with you. The poor individual that must deal with a writer who has just received Mr. Millers' praise and then explain, that although my boss said your book is hot- hot- we don't want it. Anyone would seem dour. Now that would generate some unhappy responses.

I will not dissect the rejections any further. Thanks for the guidance.....

jkorzenko
11-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Good girl, Patty. :)

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I received 2 Rs which were pesonalized and I emailed a thanks for the quick responses and closed the thank you with a "happy turkey day." Both emailed back (I was soooo shocked) wishing me a happy turkey day. One had a funny joke in the email which of course I had to respond to with my own joke. We swapped several emails over the day trying to one-up each other in the joke department. Have you ANY idea how hard it was for me to refrain from saying "why did you reject me?" LOLOL. But I just took it for what it was -- 2 women being silly and escaping work. :)

blackbird
11-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Jkorzenko and priceless, thanks for the insight. I really hate when I have to face logic... You are absolutely right, I know. I will tell you I would not want to have to deal with irate emails either, especially when the agents intent is to help.

Julie Worth, I see your point and do agree with you. The poor individual that must deal with a writer who has just received Mr. Millers' praise and then explain, that although my boss said your book is hot- hot- we don't want it. Anyone would seem dour. Now that would generate some unhappy responses.

I will not dissect the rejections any further. Thanks for the guidance.....

The problem with PMA--as per my understanding of how things work there--is that the "assistants" are actually agents in their own right, which means they have final say as to whether they will take on a project or not. I think that Peter actually does pass most queries onto them, from which point it is their perogative to say yes or no.

LikeInZorro
11-23-2006, 04:52 AM
That's not really a problem with PMA or other agencies. It's the same thing at publishing houses. Most Editors hand over submissions to their Assistant Editors. Which is why when you call an agency (I don't think it's good to call in the first place), it's good to be nice to the "assistants."

blackbird
11-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Merely a matter of phrasing.;) I agree; "problem" was a poor word choice in this instance. I really meant it more in the sense that this is how the procedure generally operates.

Kama
12-06-2006, 06:51 AM
College student interns read 99% of the queries and manuscripts that pass through there. I know this for a fact. Whether its good or bad, I dont know.

LikeInZorro
12-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Most agents don't read what they request. It goes through someone else first. It's just an easier system.

karo.ambrose
12-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Still waiting on my partial. I sent it on October 23rd and no response as of yet. I checked on their website and it said I should've heard back by now. Is the delay because of some kind of restructuring, the holiday seasons, or is it because they all got the plague?

I'm expecting a 'no' from them. My partial wasn't ready and I just want closure.

And now we play the waiting game... The waiting game sucks. Lets play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Tanama
12-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Still waiting on my partial. I sent it on October 23rd and no response as of yet. I checked on their website and it said I should've heard back by now. Is the delay because of some kind of restructuring, the holiday seasons, or is it because they all got the plague?

I'm expecting a 'no' from them. My partial wasn't ready and I just want closure.

And now we play the waiting game... The waiting game sucks. Lets play Hungry Hungry Hippos.
It's never a good idea to submit something that isn't ready. It's a waste of your time and energy and the agent's as well. You're wasting the submission to someone that may be a good fit for the manuscript by not sending it in its best condition.

karo.ambrose
12-28-2006, 10:22 PM
It's never a good idea to submit something that isn't ready. It's a waste of your time and energy and the agent's as well. You're wasting the submission to someone that may be a good fit for the manuscript by not sending it in its best condition.

I know and I am learning my lesson as I try and venture into the publishing biz. Nothing like good real world experience to set someone straight. But hey, at least I will never do that again (maybe).

janetbellinger
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
I'd rather have a non-response from an email query than the sight of my own SASE (rejection) in the mailbox. At least with the e-query you get a chance to know whether the ag ent is interest ed in receiving your submission. I am doing my bit to cut down on the number of unsolicited manuscripts on editors' desks and am helping to conserve trees. It saves time, too. Why send it if they're not interested in reading it?

With those who never respond, just brush them off as rejections and continue on. If you get a response in a few months from now, great, if not, don't sweat it. No use letting it agitate you for something that will probably never come.

It is becoming more and more standard for the non-response, especially with e-queries. I don't find it rather kind, but they didn't ask for the query, it's the lowest priority on their list and some people are just that way. Don't let it get under your skin.

Repunzel
04-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Anybody know why Kelly Skillen left PMA and then returned? I hope she's still there since she requested a full from me back in March.

Repunzel
04-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Anybody know why Kelly Skillen left and then returned to PMA? I've read the comments on PMA, but can't find much on her.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Haven't a clue! But welcome to AW and good luck finding the answer. Hope you stick around to enjoy the rest of the site.

san_remo_ave
04-22-2007, 04:38 AM
I can't answer the questions either, but welcome!

Nickie
04-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Welcome to AW!

Nickie

Braydie
04-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Repunzel,

Welcome!
Sorry I don't have any info on Kelly Skillen. Good luck.
Enjoy AW.

Cath
04-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Nope, sorry.

Welcome though - stick around! :)

glassquill
04-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Welcome to AW, Repunzel!

Repunzel
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I'll definitely stick around. Thanks so much for the nice welcome!

jcheney
05-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Welcome

Turtle07
05-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Err, never heard of Kelly Skillen, but welcome to AW anyway!!

jamiehall
05-03-2007, 06:12 AM
:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

narnia
05-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Repunzel! I can't help you with your Kelly question either, but I can welcome you! :welcome:

Annie O
05-04-2007, 01:05 AM
:hi:

Writer2011
05-04-2007, 01:06 AM
No clue but nonetheless welcome to the forums :)

RichardMcC
05-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Anybody know why Kelly Skillen left PMA and then returned? I hope she's still there since she requested a full from me back in March.

I attended the Oklahoma Writers Federation Conference in Oklahoma City this weekend (5/4-5/5), and Kelly Skillen was one of the speakers. I listened to her in two of the workshops and was very impressed by her, and would have no reservations using her as an agent. She does apparently still work for PMA, but there was no hint at any recent departure. Good luck with your submission.

jnesvold
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I got a request for a partial from these folks. Does anyone know if E.M. Blake is male or female? Or is there some sort of more generic-y greeting I can use when I send it in?

Julie Worth
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I got a request for a partial from these folks. Does anyone know if E.M. Blake is male or female? Or is there some sort of more generic-y greeting I can use when I send it in?

EM Blake is an intern, and interns have no gender. Dear E.M. Blake ought to do it.

jnesvold
06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
EM Blake is an intern, and interns have no gender. Dear E.M. Blake ought to do it.

Androgeny is cool. Thank you.

southernwriter
07-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Kelly Skillen may be a very nice person. I've never met her. I'd never heard of her before today. I began researching her, and found that she's the agent for a book in print whose author I just happen to know, so I gave said author a call. The author was very careful not to badmouth the agency, but the impression I was left with was negative. I'm happy to hear others have had good experiences with PMA. Maybe satisfaction depends upon expectations.

aadams73
09-06-2007, 05:49 PM
He might be legitimate, but he's a damn spammer. From my mailbox this morning(BTW I queried them once--via snail mail)

Over the past months I have been receiving a lot of interest in AUTHOR! SCREENWRITER!, my book and film. The reviews on amazon.com are stellar. Many authors have contacted me personally to consult on one or more book(s), projects, or ideas and asked me to offer my personal tips, wisdom, and/or recommendations.

My hectic schedule won't allow me to chat with each author personally so I've considered putting together a live, interactive Web conference to share my insights and answer authors' questions in a forum.

The Webinar I am proposing is very informative and engaging, and represent my over 30 years of experience in the book, motion picture, and television industries. You'll be able to connect with me live, over the phone and follow my presentation through the Web. I will give a one hour lecture, complete with a PowerPoint accompaniment, real time chat for questions and comments, interactive polls, and a follow along worksheet with the most important secrets I have to offer. I'll give everyone a free downloadable copy of my book Author! Screenwriter! beforehand as it will be a prerequisite to get up to speed.

After my presentation, we'll have an interactive Q&A session so that you can be sure your questions are answered. I can open up the phone lines for live dialogue, one at a time. You will also have the ability to text messages in.

If you're interested in such an event, please take the brief survey below so I can customize it perfectly to your needs.

Now why would I want spam from an agent? *grumble* Very poorly done!

Birol
09-06-2007, 05:52 PM

It's my understanding that Kelly didn't leave PMA, but took a leave of absence under the FMLA.

DeadlyAccurate
09-06-2007, 07:48 PM
He might be legitimate, but he's a damn spammer. From my mailbox this morning(BTW I queried them once--via snail mail)

I got that this morning, too. I, too, queried them at some time in the past.

DraperJC
09-07-2007, 06:16 AM
I got the same thing and I never queried them.

Kasey Mackenzie
09-07-2007, 06:23 PM
That seems VERY unprofessional to me. Especially spamming people who didn't even query you. Even worse than tacking on a "buy my publishing book" blurb at the bottom of rejection letters.

WriterGirl2007
10-23-2007, 03:15 AM
After reading these posts, I'm thinking he might have an "auto response" to all e-queries that includes a mention of sending it on to his assistant and then a bunch of spam at the end. That's what happened to me. It was obviously a form letter, although not a rejection. The spam part was a bit odd.

Mr Lucky
03-07-2008, 01:29 AM
My Kelly Skillen experience:

Three months ago I sent her a requested full manuscript. No word since.

I prompted her with an email two weeks ago. Still no word.

PMA seems to have a good reputation, so I wouldn't refrain from submitting to them. Nor would I refrain from continuing my agent search while they had my manuscript.

Birol
03-07-2008, 01:37 AM
There's actually a thread about PMLA in the Bewares & Background Check forum, more for the background check than the bewares. This thread probably should be merged with that one.

That said, I'm given to understand that Kelly didn't truly leave PMLA. She took a leave of absence/time off for personal reasons.

Mr Lucky
03-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks, Birol. I'll take myself over there.

Mr Lucky
03-07-2008, 01:52 AM
It's my understanding that Kelly didn't leave PMA, but took a leave of absence under the FMLA.

Kelly is still there. At least she was there enough to request a full manuscript from me three months ago.

After that I heard nothing. I prompted her with a polite email two weeks ago. Still nothing.

As I mentioned on the disembodied Kelly Skillen thread in the newbies forum, PMA seems to have a good reputation, so I wouldn't refrain from querying them.

However, I wouldn't stop my agent search while they had my manuscript.

dpaterso
03-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Sorry for any confusion or near-duplicate posts, I merged the older Kelly Skillen thread in Newbie Forum into this thread.

-Derek

Mr Lucky
03-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Update:

I finally heard from Kelly via email. She passed on my manuscript and wrapped the rejection in a couple nice lines of encouragement.

Little Red Barn
03-15-2008, 03:15 AM
I read the other day in Publishers Marketplace, I believe, Peter Miller is starting or has started a publishing house.

ETA: This is it:
"Two Veterans Plant New House
Former Avon and Berkley publisher Lou Aronica and agent Peter Miller are creating The Story Plant, a publishing company focused on "commercial fiction and author development," intending to "develop writers over multiple books" and "focus on long-term relationships with commercial novelists." Distributed by Perseus Distribution, the line launches this fall with Sienna Skyy's AMERICAN QUEST, a contemporary romantic fantasy, and Jonathan Javitt's medical thriller CAPITOL REFLECTIONS."

novellabob
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I have just been told that this agent, who does indeed have great credentials and sales, is publishing his own clients in paperback after the hardcover has run its course. The company is STORY PLANT, formed with Lou Aronica. I checked out a book on Amazon that he represented, and it's true. Isn't this a conflict of interest?

IceCreamEmpress
06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I have just been told that this agent, who does indeed have great credentials and sales, is publishing his own clients in paperback after the hardcover has run its course. The company is STORY PLANT, formed with Lou Aronica. I checked out a book on Amazon that he represented, and it's true. Isn't this a conflict of interest?

Having had books published in paperback by major houses, and having done it myself as a micropub, I can guarantee you that Mr. Miller would make more money from the agent's fee on a paperback sell-through than he would from being a paperback micropublisher. So it stands to reason that the folks he's publishing in paperback didn't get a major publishing paperback deal; therefore, it's hard to see why it's a conflict of interest.

DerekJager
08-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I'll share my PMA story!

I queried him by e-mail about a year ago.

The phone rang 10 minutes later. "This is Peter Miller. I received your query and I am REALLY interested in this (NF) project!"

I about fell off my chair.

"How quickly can you get it to me?" he asked.

The manuscript was about 600 pages and I asked if I could drop of disc off along with a print out of the proposal. He said, "Fine, fine."

I dropped it off in person the next day with an assistant and sent him an e-mail that I had done so. "Great! Thanks! I can't wait to get to it!"

A month later I e-mailed for an update. He had no idea what I was talking about. Hadn't read the proposal and said, "Oh, we don't read off discs."

I refreshed his memory and he asked for a hard copy so I had the thing printed out ($$) with return postage and dropped it off.

A couple months later, it was rejected by two (2) readers---"well written and compelling, but..." and a "Good luck!" scrawl from Peter.

Anyway, it was all a lesson learned--if the website "looks" busy and a disorganized mess, then the agency itself might be, too.

Wen-2
11-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Ooooh, Kelly Skillen has my manuscript...
I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Leukman
01-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Anybody have any recent info on this agency?

Noah Body
01-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I have info via a personal rejection sent by Miller himself, but that's about it. :)

Leukman
01-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Recent? What was the turnaround?

Noah Body
01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Check yer PMs...

JAK
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Noah, sent you a question via PM ...

Sakamonda
01-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Last I heard, this agency demands a "retainer fee" when it does offer representation. Not good.

Leukman
01-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Can anyone confirm that?

Wouldn't P&E mention that if true? That site has a $ sign (supposedly a good sign).

Noah Body
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Last I heard, this agency demands a "retainer fee" when it does offer representation. Not good.

I've never heard that. Can you elaborate?

Sakamonda
01-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I was once offered representation by them and told I had to pay a $200 retainer "fee". I refused. I have seen this same sort of thing reported elsewhere. (including here, I believe)

-----OOOPS, I misspoke. I was actually speaking of Big Score Productions, not PMA Literary and Film. Mea culpa.

Noah Body
01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Were you offered representation by Miller himself, and was it for a book or another venture? When was this?

Sakamonda
01-20-2009, 09:43 PM
It was for a book, and this was several years ago. I have heard of other reports of this happening to others as well.

Sakamonda
01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Wait a second---I think I misspoke. I believe it was actually Big Score Productions that asked me for a retainer fee, not PMA Literary & Film. I apologize if I misled anyone.

Noah Body
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I thought you were incorrect. ;)

soulcascade
03-20-2009, 04:04 AM
I accidentally queried Peter's e-mail address. He was kind enough to redirect the query, but I found his response odd:

"Thank you for your email and your interest in me at PMA Literary & Film Management, Inc. I have passed your email on to my assistant, who will be in touch if PMA is interested in this. Please use queries@pmalitfilm.com for any follow up inquiries. PMA is not taking on any new clients unless they are significant, professional authors with long term careers that write cutting edge films, fiction or non fiction with global marketing potential and motion picture an television production potential. We need to grow PMA with highly motivated and financially rewarding authors that intend on writing a nonfiction book or novel a year for the next ten years. Are you that author? We like authors that write anything about being the change that we all want to see in the world and want to get rich too. "

The e-mail goes on for quite some time, listing interviews, film deals, etc etc.

I just found it very odd to hear an agent say: "...and want to get rich too."
I mean, seriously, that seems rather unrealistic to me

Stlight
03-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I accidentally queried Peter's e-mail address. He was kind enough to redirect the query, but I found his response odd:

"PMA is not taking on any new clients unless they are significant, professional authors with long term careers that write cutting edge films, fiction or non fiction with global marketing potential and motion picture an television production potential. .

This part seems to be saying that they are only interested in previously published high producing authors. I may have misunderstood.

Stlight

DawnKJ
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Just received a very nice personalized rejection letter from PMA's Amina Henry, Development Associate. It came just a day after my submission.

roger kryless
07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
form reject
from amina

sigh.

AngelicaRJackson
07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I e-queried Adrienne Rosado at PMA on February 23; when I hadn't heard anything by April 23, I followed up with a status request. By the end of May, I still hadn't heard anything and wrote it off as a rejection. Surprise, I got a rejection (looked like form) in my box today.

anbo
08-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the NYC agent, Peter Miller?

Siddow
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM
If you hit "Search" at the top of this page and type in his name, a large thread about his agency pops up for you.

And hello!

Don Allen
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I did. He's allright, met him at a seminar, he totally took me the wrong way, and we did not hit it off to say the least, he's had some success and I hear/tell he gives good representation, trys, but he reminded me of a bit of a huckster looking to score big instead of trying to work with and develope an author, IMO.... Not a scam artist, so don't get the wrong impression, on a scale of 1-10 probably midroad 5-6

Giant Baby
08-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Peter's definitely got his own style. I went back and forth with him for several months about a book, and I honestly couldn't figure out what he was saying most of the time. I usually felt he was answering some question during our correspondence, just not the one I'd asked. He called me once to ask if he'd emailed me and seemed annoyed (with me) to hear that he hadn't.

But for all that, I sort of enjoyed him. He seems like a nice, if perplexing, guy and he definitely gets revved up. Makes sales too. I just met one of his clients at a party and she absolutely adores him.

Darzian
10-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I found the agent Mr Peter Miller at PMA Literary Agency on AQ. I assumed he was a genuine literary agent as he was listed on AQ.

Question 1) Are all agents listed on AQ legitimate?

Now, I get a reply with about 10 links to various books and you tube videos. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to PM the contents of the e-mail. It seems very unprofessional to advertise so to a writer who's querying him.

Question 2) Any knowledge about this person? The search function brought up 500+ threads and nothing specific.

Sorry if there's a thread existing about this agent.

(PS: In his reply, he said that an assistant would oversee my query and get back to me. My name was spelled wrong in the reply. The various paragraphs of the reply are also in various fonts. The e-mail's pretty much floating in red flags. :D)

CaoPaux
10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes, there was an existing thread. For the future, the Index is here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792).

waylander
10-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Question 1) Are all agents listed on AQ legitimate?

Pretty much. I've only come across one dodgy one and they took her off the list

52greg
10-08-2009, 01:16 AM
What do we know about Peter Miller and PMA, especially relating to working with unknown writers?

waylander
10-08-2009, 01:32 AM
We know there is a very large thread on them here.

Please look before you start a new thread

52greg
10-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I did a search. Got zilch. Relax.

CaoPaux
10-08-2009, 01:57 AM
What terms did you use? A search for Peter Miller comes right to it.

Darzian
10-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the merge. I searched for PMA Literary Agency, I think, and didn't get very productive results.

Thanks again. I'll have a look through the thread.

52greg
10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
What terms did you use? A search for Peter Miller comes right to it.

I used PMA. Maybe I should've used Peter Miller.

52greg
10-09-2009, 10:11 PM
I e-queried PMA yesterday. We'll see what happens.

ChrisKelly331
11-10-2009, 03:44 AM
has anyone recieved a rejection or request from Kelly Skillen? If so how long was it from query to R?

egtalbot
11-26-2009, 07:17 AM
I didn't see this anywhere else in the thread, though I could have missed it since there are a lot of posts. Near the bottom of their submissions page, they have the following:

"Though we expect writers to go by the standard rule of exclusive submissions, if, by chance, the work you submitted to us is also under consideration by another agency or management company, please let us know the status of that relationship as soon as it begins."

elsewhere on the page, they have:

"Based on your initial query letter and synopsis, our office may request sample chapters, your manuscript in its entirety, your nonfiction proposal or your completed screenplay. If your work is under consideration by another agency or management company, we ask that you let us know at that time."

So I'm assuming the first statement only refers to partials and fulls as exclusive submissions (a query is not a "submission" in this case). Is that how everyone else reads it?

hester
11-28-2009, 12:00 AM
has anyone recieved a rejection or request from Kelly Skillen? If so how long was it from query to R?

I e-queried Ms. Skillen in early September and received a polite e-rejection about three to four weeks later.

Krista G.
01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I've been having problems e-mailing a query to this agency. I've tried several times over the past two months, and all but once I've received a notice that the e-mail couldn't be delivered because their inbox was "over quota." The one time I didn't receive that notice was back in early November, but I haven't gotten a response to the query, so I'm thinking that one didn't go through, either.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with PMA? And if so, did you ever figure out a way around it, or did you just give up?

Moost
01-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Queried Dec. 30th and got a personalized acknowledgment the next day from PM ("Dear Kara," not "Dear Author"). Pretty impressive.

Sarah Christine
01-16-2010, 01:23 AM
Krista G. - Queried Kelly Skillen at her email address (kelly@pmalitfilm.com) and rec'd the same "over quota" return.

Maybe this is a recent thing?

ether
02-05-2010, 03:57 AM
I just sent a query to Peter Miller. Received a general auto response that it was received, but then I got this:

"Kelley

I will be in SF Feb 12th to 16th

Best

Peter Miller, President"

Uh-? Was this just an auto response, too?

Sarah Christine
02-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Huh. Do you live in San Francisco? Think that's what it could be short for?

Stanmiller
02-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Wanta see something unusual? Go to Peter Miller's website and follow the Film and Television link for a picture of PM (the Literary Lion) with porn star Marilyn Chambers. Remember her? The Ivory Snow model that broke into the porn business in BEHIND THE GREEN DOOR.

ether
02-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Huh. Do you live in San Francisco? Think that's what it could be short for?

SF is short for San Francisco, yes. And I don't live there, but I live in Northern California (I mentioned that briefly in my email), Sacramento, which is like... two hours North of SF.

I figured it was something of an auto out-of-office reply, but my name's on it, so I'm not sure? It's weird he'd be letting people know he'll be out of the office way before the fact.

honeysock
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
It's weird he'd be letting people know he'll be out of the office way before the fact.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. PM me if you want more info.

ether
02-05-2010, 07:26 PM
You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. PM me if you want more info.

PM sent~

AlterEgox5
02-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Potential timeline for those interested:

Query sent to Mr. Miller - 12/23
R received from one Ashley Campanaro 2/9

straightshooter
03-27-2010, 03:45 AM
I have spent some time reviewing all the PMA posts and this is my take. I sent out a query in October 2009 - got such a quick response from Peter Miller, I thought I had once again found another scam (despite my research prior to sending). But AW thought he was sound - so I sent the requested MS. They were so nice and polite until the rejection last week. I think PMA, is about playing the odds. If you get 1000 submissions, you have a greater chance of finding the one you want. And I can't help but wonder if the 'staff member' assigned to the 2nd read was having a bad hair day. If only she had read it on a good day - or better yet, I got a different reader. It's all so subjective.

On the lighter side - I stand with some great writers in the PMA rejection line and I guess the fact that my MS passed the priliminary read is a major step forward.

Have to admit though - it did my heart good to hear that other writers were not happy about signing with him. It made the sting a less painful. Sending out queries again this week was the best therapy of all.

I will continue to write (as long as I don't have to write one of those tired... guy gets murdered and we spend the next 400 pages figuring out who killed him.) Creative !!!!!
Is the market really that tunnel visioned?
Okay I'm done.

thethinker42
05-22-2010, 03:53 AM
I queried on April 3, and got a partial request on May 21. *fingers crossed*

Ruth2
05-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I queried on April 3, and got a partial request on May 21. *fingers crossed*

W00T!!!! :hooray:

SadieCass
06-30-2010, 02:18 AM
Queried 5/21
Partial request today! (6/29)

Thought at first it was a rejection, the first line talks about how selective they are...then goes on to say "however". I had to laugh, because I was reading on my little phone screen and was about to close the window thinking it was a reject *G*

thethinker42
06-30-2010, 04:22 AM
Queried 5/21
Partial request today! (6/29)

Thought at first it was a rejection, the first line talks about how selective they are...then goes on to say "however". I had to laugh, because I was reading on my little phone screen and was about to close the window thinking it was a reject *G*

Same thing happened to me! :D I thought it was a rejection, almost closed the window, then caught the "...BUT..." near the end. Makes me read rejections a little more closely now! :D

SadieCass
06-30-2010, 05:17 AM
Same thing happened to me! :D I thought it was a rejection, almost closed the window, then caught the "...BUT..." near the end. Makes me read rejections a little more closely now! :D

LOL! I know! So glad I took the moment to read beyond. When I saw the "however" I sort of stared at it for a long time wondering if I dared read beyond it...because maybe I was just hallucinating :) Definitely reading everything closer now.

Good luck on your partial! I plan on getting mine out in the mail tomorrow! (Why, oh WHY do all of my partial requests have to go out snail mail?)

thethinker42
06-30-2010, 06:01 AM
LOL! I know! So glad I took the moment to read beyond. When I saw the "however" I sort of stared at it for a long time wondering if I dared read beyond it...because maybe I was just hallucinating :) Definitely reading everything closer now.

Good luck on your partial! I plan on getting mine out in the mail tomorrow! (Why, oh WHY do all of my partial requests have to go out snail mail?)

Good luck!! :) And I know what you mean about snail mail...especially since snail mail from here has been known to take a while to get to the States. Nothing like trusting the military with my manuscripts...

SadieCass
06-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Good luck!! :) And I know what you mean about snail mail...especially since snail mail from here has been known to take a while to get to the States. Nothing like trusting the military with my manuscripts...

LOL. Scary thing trusting military mail with something so precious! I'm crossing my fingers for you ;) Hopefully we're both back here with full requests in the near(ish) future.

thethinker42
06-30-2010, 06:18 AM
LOL. Scary thing trusting military mail with something so precious! I'm crossing my fingers for you ;) Hopefully we're both back here with full requests in the near(ish) future.

I certainly hope so! Fingers crossed for you as well. :)

thethinker42
07-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Got a very nice personal rejection on the requested partial. Bummer, but such is life. :)

SadieCass
07-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Got a very nice personal rejection on the requested partial. Bummer, but such is life. :)

Awww. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully soon you'll get a positive response elsewhere :)

1Astronaut
08-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Concerning all of the other writers' replies, things were looking good with PMA Literary and Film Management, towards representing me. One day, Peter Miller called me from Florida requesting info. Peter Miller's assistant (Natalie) requested more info., too; however, the rejection did come not long after that. I don't know if they rejected to represent me because of the $85m (USD) fund for eight upcoming features is days away and they won't have much to say towards getting that, since I already did all of the searching and gathering. All I am needing is an agent to represent me since my previous agent passed away due to cancer.

iwannabepublished
09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I sent my query package, via e-mail, to PMA on July 20th. On August 24th they asked to see the first 40 pages. Cursing that I was out of town, I dashed off an e-mail to explain the delay and mailed the requested material August 31. Got a letter back dated September 13 asking for the full manuscript. Christen Mecabe, submissions assistant, allowed me to send the requested material via e-mail, that I sent out on September 15th. Still waiting for a read confirmation that I'm not sure they'll send.

This is the FIRST time I've gotten this far. I hold my breath every time an e-mail comes in.

Wish me luck.

makbeth
09-18-2010, 09:44 PM
May I ask who you queried at PMA? And what their response was? Besides please send your manuscript. I was interested in this agency and would love to hear of your experience. Thanks

iwannabepublished
09-18-2010, 10:45 PM
May I ask who you queried at PMA? And what their response was? Besides please send your manuscript. I was interested in this agency and would love to hear of your experience. Thanks

As per their website, my initial e-mail was sent to queries@pmalitfilm.com. I addressed my cover letter to Mr. Miller and included my synopsis. Here is what I received -

"Thank you for your letter regarding your book, The Alkano Letters. Because of the high volume of submissions received, PMA is quite selective about which projects we decide to review. However, in this case, we would like to take a look at this specific work. Please send a 30-40 page sample of your book to us at your earliest convenience, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope for our reply. You should also enclose a brief, one page synopsis and author biography, and a self-addressed, stamped return envelope or box for all materials that you wish to have returned. We can also reply to your sample via email. Please address the sample to the attention of Christen Mecabe. Note that postage meters are only valid on the date of issue, and be sure that all packaging materials are sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of the postal system. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to write, email or call. We look forward to reading your work."

Take another look at my first post for additional chronology.

Giant Baby
09-18-2010, 11:29 PM
I sent a late-night query to PMA back in November '07. I received a response within minutes from Peter himself, telling me I shared a surname with his mother, so of course he wanted to read my book. I was then directed to his website for how to proceed.

His website mentioned something about expecting writers to follow the industry standard (?!) of exclusive submissions, or something along those lines, so I emailed him back to let him know the book was already out with other agents. He got back to me same day requesting I FedEx the ms right away, and when I returned home that evening I discovered he'd left a phone message as well.

I sent the book FedEx as requested, and some time later recieved a call from him on my cell phone. He wanted to know whether he'd emailed me. I told him he hadn't, which seemed to surprise/annoy him. So, he said he would and ended the call without saying anything about what the email would be about. What followed was a fairly long email exchange in which I had a very hard time decifering what I was being asked to do, but finally determined it was a request to revise and resubmit the first 60pp, so I just went with that. I never heard anything again. Status queried maybe a year later and was directed (and cc'd) to someone else, who responded to the cc with the information that I'd been rejected some months before.

My experience with Peter was maddening at times, but I have to say, I really sort of liked the guy. He certainly does things his own way, and I probably wouldn't have a hair left on my head if I ever worked with him, but he's kind of fun. He's definitely not a "While your work has merit, I did not connect with your story as much as I had hoped to... Subjective business, blah, blah, blah" kind of a guy. I met one of his clients at a party last year, and she seemed to genuinely adore him.

YMMV.

makbeth
09-19-2010, 01:33 AM
What sorts of questions did PMA ask when they requested your full manuscript? And did you email or snail mail? Thanks

iwannabepublished
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
What sorts of questions did PMA ask when they requested your full manuscript? And did you email or snail mail? Thanks

After the same disclaimer as in their original e-mail request, the letter from PMA simply asked to see the full manuscript. Since I mailed the 40 pages requested sample, their response was via snail-mail with the SASE I enclosed. The letter did end with a line saying that if I had any questions to 'please don't hesitate to write, email, or call.' and 'We look forward to reading more of your work.' (a positive comment?)

Curiously, although I sent my synopsis in the body of my original e-mail, they asked for it again with the request for the first 40 pages and again with the full manuscript. They also asked, each time, for a brief author bio.

By the way, although the letter I was received was obviously not a form letter, it was not hand signed - I wonder why.

Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a positive response, although I have not yet even received a read confirmation for my e-mail submission. I guess, like all agents, they are buried with submissions.

makbeth
09-19-2010, 07:21 PM
After the same disclaimer as in their original e-mail request, the letter from PMA simply asked to see the full manuscript. Since I mailed the 40 pages requested sample, their response was via snail-mail with the SASE I enclosed. The letter did end with a line saying that if I had any questions to 'please don't hesitate to write, email, or call.' and 'We look forward to reading more of your work.' (a positive comment?)

Curiously, although I sent my synopsis in the body of my original e-mail, they asked for it again with the request for the first 40 pages and again with the full manuscript. They also asked, each time, for a brief author bio.

By the way, although the letter I was received was obviously not a form letter, it was not hand signed - I wonder why.

Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a positive response, although I have not yet even received a read confirmation for my e-mail submission. I guess, like all agents, they are buried with submissions.
Good luck! I read your query & synopsis in another post. I would definitely be interested in reading it.

AlishaS
11-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Adrienne Rosado requested a partial, synopsis and Author bio, today. She was very fast, responding to my query within a few days.

Though, I don't really have anything worth mentioning in a author bio...

KingM
12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Adrienne Rosado requested a partial, synopsis and Author bio, today. She was very fast, responding to my query within a few days.

Though, I don't really have anything worth mentioning in a author bio...

Don't worry too much about the author bio. If you don't have any writing credits, just put in whatever sounds most relevant and makes you sound like an interesting person. For example:

"I speak French and some Arabic, and once spent three months traveling by camel across the Sahara. I worked my way through college as a mortician's assistant, preparing bodies for embalming. My hobbies include spelunking and breeding Japanese ornamental carp."

Note that nothing in that bio has anything to do with writing, but it makes you sound like someone with a lot of fascinating stories to tell. Almost everyone has something like this that others would find unusual and interesting. (And if not, go out and get yourself some more life experiences.)

Oh, you might also write the bio in third person instead of first.

I can't help with the synopsis. I hate writing them and I hate reading them. :tongue

AlishaS
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Bumping the thread, anyone here anything from this agency lately? I'm just waiting on a Partial :)

elindsen
01-12-2011, 03:36 AM
Sorry, nope. I am going to query Ms. Rosado (?) so cross your fingers.

honeysock
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Sorry, nope. I am going to query Ms. Rosado (?) so cross your fingers.

She is a LOVELY LOVELY person. She did me a favor . . . on Friday night, no less. Good luck.

JBuck
01-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Adrienne has a full of mine (requested after reading the partial). However, initial correspondence was with her assistant (also lovely).
They seem like a great bunch of people so good luck to everyone!

AlishaS
01-21-2011, 05:57 AM
Gots me a plain jane form rejection today :( I was kinda hoping for a hint of feedback. Oh Well.

M.B. West
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Sorry to hear that, Alisha. She has my partial as well. So she took about 2 months to get back to you?

Good luck to you on other subs!

AlishaS
01-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah just about, I send in the partial on November 30th 2010.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear that, Alisha. She has my partial as well. So she took about 2 months to get back to you?

Good luck to you on other subs!

EDP_SF
02-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi, I queried Adrienne in mid-October. I cannot find the answer to this question on their site. Is PMA a "no response means no thanks" agency? Or should I re-query? Thanks.

RoccoMom
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi, I queried Adrienne in mid-October. I cannot find the answer to this question on their site. Is PMA a "no response means no thanks" agency? Or should I re-query? Thanks.

It's been my experience that they usually respond one way or another. However, with the way the marketplace has changed in the last year who knows? That might be different now too.

Erin
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM

I queried her a few months ago and got no response.

oshun55
03-04-2011, 01:47 AM
I queried Peter months ago and got a rejection within 2 weeks.

Victoria
03-11-2011, 05:46 AM
I queried PMA back in October as well. No response. I have since reworked my query, a lot, and was wondering how long I should wait before resending, or if I even should. Thoughts?

Jamiekswriter
03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I had queried Adrienne Rosado on 12/2/10 and didn't get a response, but I have in my notes that PMA is a no response = no after three weeks. I'll try and find out where I got that information from.

Their website said they take 4-6 weeks on a query: http://www.pmalitfilm.com/the-review-process

I can't find confirmation on the no response = no, but she's on twitter at LitEpiphany. I'm firewalled at work from twitter, but if someone else wants to check her feed and see if she says anything about queries that would be helpful. If I remember, I'll do it from home tonight.

Heck, I might resend . . .

evol_reed
05-26-2011, 11:40 PM
I queried them five months ago and had closed them out as no response but just received a request for a partial today. I've notified the other agent who has my manuscript, hopefully good things start happening!

Erin
05-27-2011, 01:55 AM
I queried them five months ago and had closed them out as no response but just received a request for a partial today. I've notified the other agent who has my manuscript, hopefully good things start happening!

Awesome! Good luck!

Thanks for posting your stats. Maybe I'll hear back on my query now.

Maddie
05-27-2011, 04:48 AM
I queried PMA in mid-January 2011, and received a request for a partial this afternoon.

evol_reed
06-01-2011, 03:35 AM
That was fast. They received my submission package this morning. By 1 pm Pacific time I had a request for the full. Trying not to hyperventilate. I've gotten this far before with other agents but this feels like a big deal.

Maddie
06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
That was fast. They received my submission package this morning. By 1 pm Pacific time I had a request for the full. Trying not to hyperventilate. I've gotten this far before with other agents but this feels like a big deal.

This is great news, evol_reed! The best of luck to you. Asking for a full off a partial, and so quickly, is an excellent sign.

clorenz
06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Evol Reed-

I am curious how you sent your partial. Snail mail or e-mail? I received a partial request from a "submissions assistant" after I had already figured they were a "no." Response time for the query was almost three months. My partial will be sent by snail mail as that is what she requested.

Good luck with the full!

evol_reed
06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
clorenz - They requested my partial be sent via snail mail. With the full I was able to submit via email. They responded to the snail mail partial almost immediately upon receipt, but it took them nearly five months to respond to the original query.

clorenz
06-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Evol reed-

Thanks for the quick response. This whole process is so bizarre. I have several partials still out with other agents, but at this point, I never expected to hear back from them. But then when I got a partial request from a query sent over three months ago, it makes you wonder if they really are just so crazy busy that it really takes that long. I guess patience and persistence are imperative. Good luck on that full. Wishing you success!

Ames
06-14-2011, 11:06 PM
For those who've sent material to PMA via snail mail, which address did you use? There are two addresses given on their website... a street address and a P.O. Box that it says is used for packages. I need to send them a partial MS, and I don't know if that qualifies as a "package" or not. I've emailed them to find out for sure, but in the meantime I thought I'd see if anyone here had any idea!

Maddie
06-15-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure - I always used email, both for the query, and for the sub. The agent gave me instructions to either mail the sub, or email it, which was preferred. No address was given for the option to mail. If you're sending a sub that qualifies as an envelope (30-40 pages), I'd send it to the street address.

clorenz
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
I sent mine to 45 WEst 21st St. Suite, 401 NY NY 10010
Hope that helps.

ScribeLady
06-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Re PMA's response times: I queried them on April 4th, received two duplicate rejections yesterday, June 14.

Scribelady