PDA

View Full Version : Jargon and Abbreviations

loquax
06-29-2005, 03:12 PM
I've been here for a few weeks now, and although I've picked up a lot of the jargon, there's still an awful lot that I think newbies are phased by. I'm talking mss, ms, MC, POV, AC, PA, literary words like hook, and publishing words like query and even SASE.

I think it would be helpful to have a reference thread newbies can go to if they go into a discussion about POVs and don't know what the hell is going on. (If one already exists, then shoot me.)

Seeing as even I'm not sure of the ones I just typed, can someone help us n00bs out? Cheers.

Inspired
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
There's a forum on this board called FAQ (frequently asked questions.) It may have a thread on abbreviations. I'm not sure.

If not, why don't you start one. I'm sure people will be glad to fill in all the definitions.

Torin
06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I've been here for a few weeks now, and although I've picked up a lot of the jargon, there's still an awful lot that I think newbies are phased by. I'm talking mss, ms, MC, POV, AC, PA, literary words like hook, and publishing words like query and even SASE.

I think it would be helpful to have a reference thread newbies can go to if they go into a discussion about POVs and don't know what the hell is going on. (If one already exists, then shoot me.)

Seeing as even I'm not sure of the ones I just typed, can someone help us n00bs out? Cheers.

mss/ms = manuscript
MC = Main Character
POV = Point of View (whose eyes are we seeing the action through?)
AC = Associated Content (a site which might make you some money)
PA = Publish America (vanity press--stay AWAY)
hook = that which will grab a reader's/editor's/agent's attention and keep it
query = a brief letter to an editor to propose an article or essay for a magazine
SASE = Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope

loquax
06-29-2005, 06:07 PM
There we go! Any more that I didn't think of?

jdkiggins
06-29-2005, 09:44 PM
:welcome: to the Cooler, loquax.

Looks like Torin helped you out on this one. :) Thanks Torin.

trebuchet
06-30-2005, 05:56 AM
I still want to know what "snarky" means.

CaoPaux
07-01-2005, 03:15 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snarky :D

Welcome, Loquax! :Sun:

JennaGlatzer
07-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Good thread! I'll kick it over to the FAQ section.

Please, feel free to ask for any definitions you like.

loquax
07-02-2005, 09:33 PM
BIC - Butt in Chair - method of writing. Force yourself to sit in your chair and write for a specified length of time, and don't leave until the time is up.

NaNoWriMo - ?

LindaF
07-03-2005, 05:36 AM
NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month. It's November.

loquax
07-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Cheers for that. And seeing as there's a section on it:

POD - Publish on Demand

Edit: I am an incredible fool. And a n00b. See below

Torin
07-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Cheers for that. And seeing as there's a section on it:

POD - Publish on Demand

It's also Print on Demand, subtly different in intended meaning. :)